BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > New Products > The Remasters

Old Oct 07, 2009, 06:55 PM   #1
62hofner

Question "Rubber Soul" original stereo mix???

Ok, so I am listening to the George Martin original stereo mix of "Rubber Soul" (from the Mono box set - go figure!), and I am wondering....

What is the difference between this mix and the official stereo release mix? Is there/are there any particular track/s that contain any major differences that I'd pick out easily?

At the moment ("Think For Yourself" has just kicked-off), I can detect nothing notable.

62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2009, 08:14 PM   #2
Reverend Rock
Wild Honey Pie

The piano on "Drive My Car" is present throughout all the choruses on the '87 "official" remix. That's one notable difference. On the original '65 stereo, it's edited out of certain parts of the chorus each time around.

Other than that, now that I actually have gotten the remastered "official" mix, I can say that there is a brightness and "punchiness" to Martin's remix (as remastered) that is not on the Mono Box stereo mix. But it's not like it renders the Mono Box version unlistenable or anything.

"There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be."

Last edited by Reverend Rock : Oct 07, 2009 at 08:17 PM.
Reverend Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2009, 08:28 PM   #3
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Rock View Post
The piano on "Drive My Car" is present throughout all the choruses on the '87 "official" remix. That's one notable difference. On the original '65 stereo, it's edited out of certain parts of the chorus each time around.

Other than that, now that I actually have gotten the remastered "official" mix, I can say that there is a brightness and "punchiness" to Martin's remix (as remastered) that is not on the Mono Box stereo mix. But it's not like it renders the Mono Box version unlistenable or anything.
Yeah... it sounded pretty darn good to me! No complaints or anything. Either mix - original or official - works for me.

The first thing I noticed a while back when listening to "Drive My Car" in mono (from the EP CD box set), for the first time ever, was the absence of the piano during the choruses. I guess the original stereo mix borrows from the mono mix in this respect.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2009, 09:27 PM   #4
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Isn't the big difference between Help! and RS's original mixes and the '87 ones that the originals were formatted kind of like the first four albums' stereo mixes, with the vocals on the right side and most of the instruments on the left, while the remixes were more evenly spread?

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2009, 04:55 AM   #5
Fighting Irish
Little Child

The vocals are a bit more centered on the '86 mix of Rubber Soul. The stereo picture is not as severe as the original stereo mix. When he went back to prep it for its '87 CD release, he was reportedly embarrassed by his original mix. Hence, he did a little work on it. He could have done a bit more, IMO, but it's an improvement. The '09 remaster sounds fantastic, though.

As for Help!, Martin allegedly added a bit more echo.
Fighting Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2009, 06:14 AM   #6
Reverend Rock
Wild Honey Pie

On Help!, Martin added a slight bit of "slap" delayed reverb to Lennon's vocal on "Dizzy Miss Lizzy". The purists were pretty outraged about that, but I thought it sounded pretty grand.

"There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be."
Reverend Rock is offline   Reply With Quote