BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:51 PM   #1
Hari's Chick

Default George's Godsister, Yamuna devi dasi, has passed away

George's Godsister, and musical collaborator, has gone back to Krishna. God bless her and her journey home.

Yamuna devi dasi is famous with Beatle people for singing the lead on George's production of the Govindam prayers. This track opened the Radha Krishna album. Yamuna's prayers have been played at Krishna temples worldwide since she first recorded them. They are played every single morning at each temple, according to Srila Prabhuapada's instructions. The song is heard first thing at the Greeting of the Deities.

Yamuna with George and Pattie....

Yamuna also authored many Indian vegetarian cookbooks. She was cook for Srila Prabhupada. When she first began cooking for Srila Prabupada she was not used to devotee lifestyle. He was very gradual in his instruction and sweet. George's family have Yamuna's cookbooks.

Last edited by Hari's Chick : Dec 20, 2011 at 09:06 PM.
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Hari's Chick

Here is a sweet memory Yamuna shares...

Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:26 PM   #3
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

How lovely. George's natural sister Lou has been head of a Global Family or materfamilias for many years. It seems she and George had more in common that a strong fraternal resemblance and their dad's eyes.

I'm interested in the Yamuna cookbooks and will be checking them out. Thank you so much, HC!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:38 AM   #4
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
George's Godsister, and musical collaborator, has gone back to Krishna. God bless her and her journey home.

Yamuna devi dasi is famous with Beatle people for singing the lead on George's production of the Govindam prayers. This track opened the Radha Krishna album. Yamuna's prayers have been played at Krishna temples worldwide since she first recorded them. They are played every single morning at each temple, according to Srila Prabhuapada's instructions. The song is heard first thing at the Greeting of the Deities.

Yamuna with George and Pattie....

Yamuna also authored many Indian vegetarian cookbooks. She was cook for Srila Prabhupada. When she first began cooking for Srila Prabupada she was not used to devotee lifestyle. He was very gradual in his instruction and sweet. George's family have Yamuna's cookbooks.
Very sad to read this, But she was such a spiritual person and gave so much, i know she has found what she was looking for.

"Govinda" produced By George Harrison and which she sang lead vocals on is one of my favourite pieces of music of all time and will remain so..If anyone hasnt heard it check it out, simply beautiful.. the Radha Krishna Temple album was just rereleased on Apple at the end of last year with a never before heard bonus track.

Yamuna was also married to one of George's closest friends, Gurudas, and together with Shymasundar and Mukunda Goswami they took Hare Krishna to the West - the US, UK and Europe and elsewhere..their meeting with George was crucial to his spiritual development. I think it says alot that the recording of the Radka Krishna Temple album was featured quite prominently in the Scorcese Doco..

There is also the funny story of Yamuna and Gurudas appearing in a Bag at one of John and Yoko's Bagism events..John and Yoko wernt able to make it and Yamuna and Gurudas had been staying at Tittenhurst Park so instead John sent Yamuna and Gurudas along inside the white bag to an unsuspecting media who thought it was John and Yoko!! Goes with the whole bagism concept i guess and VERY John..if they think its me, it is me..

Yamuna and the other 5 devotees were missionaries really, trailblazers.. The world is blessed to have had her, and to have learnt from her..

She passed away in her sleep, her hand still in her bead bag, chanting on beads as she left her body.

"take me to the river, drop me in the water..."
- David Byrne

Last edited by CWW : Dec 22, 2011 at 01:45 AM.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:11 PM   #5
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

That was lovely, CWW. Thank you so much for sharing. Yamuna sounded like a genuinely good person with a good heart.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 04:45 AM   #6
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
That was lovely, CWW. Thank you so much for sharing. Yamuna sounded like a genuinely good person with a good heart.
Your Welcome Beatlebangs. She was indeed a very special person..

"take me to the river, drop me in the water..."
- David Byrne
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2011, 06:08 AM   #7
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
.She passed away in her sleep, her hand still in her bead bag, chanting on beads as she left her body.
sounds like she's in the same place George is in now.
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:01 PM   #8
Hari's Chick

For those on facebook, Gurudas has posted such nice tributes...
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:01 PM   #9
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
Very sad to read this, But she was such a spiritual person and gave so much, i know she has found what she was looking for.

"Govinda" produced By George Harrison and which she sang lead vocals on is one of my favourite pieces of music of all time and will remain so..If anyone hasnt heard it check it out, simply beautiful.. the Radha Krishna Temple album was just rereleased on Apple at the end of last year with a never before heard bonus track.

Yamuna was also married to one of George's closest friends, Gurudas, and together with Shymasundar and Mukunda Goswami they took Hare Krishna to the West - the US, UK and Europe and elsewhere..their meeting with George was crucial to his spiritual development. I think it says alot that the recording of the Radka Krishna Temple album was featured quite prominently in the Scorcese Doco..

There is also the funny story of Yamuna and Gurudas appearing in a Bag at one of John and Yoko's Bagism events..John and Yoko wernt able to make it and Yamuna and Gurudas had been staying at Tittenhurst Park so instead John sent Yamuna and Gurudas along inside the white bag to an unsuspecting media who thought it was John and Yoko!! Goes with the whole bagism concept i guess and VERY John..if they think its me, it is me..

Yamuna and the other 5 devotees were missionaries really, trailblazers.. The world is blessed to have had her, and to have learnt from her..

She passed away in her sleep, her hand still in her bead bag, chanting on beads as she left her body.
beautiful, CWW