BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Nov 06, 2008, 09:21 PM   #101
scouseofdistinction
Day Tripper

There are 2 things I have to say. But, before I go into the first one, I just want to point out that it was in another post of mine, but I decided to bring it up here.

1) I was watching a few news clips the other day of people stating how they were so thrilled to have Obama as president. Their reason? "So I won't have to pay for my welfare or my mortgage. I won't have to worry about that anymore!" You have got to be kidding me!

That's the sad thing. People - again not all, but a big part I'm sure - voted for Obama thinking they can take the free-ride. Are you serious?? Personally, I don't make a great deal of money. I myself am struggling day to day with finances due to living the life of a college student, but I seriously think that what these people believe is wrong and immoral. You have these people, the "richer" folk making the wages they do because they WORKED HARD to get where they are at. They DID NOT take the free-ride! What is that really teaching us here? Teaching me? I shouldn't try to get ahead in life because the government will support me? I do not think it's logical to take money away from the individuals that worked hard to get where they are at to give it to people who don't try to do a thing about their lives.

2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Well if Bush and the Republicans hadn't been such a disaster, the Democrats wouldn't have won so comprehensively

The US economy is in a mess and whilst US troops have been bogged down in in the Iraq war, Iran, Russia and China have all strengthened.
Personally, if there is someone or something that needs to be blamed, I blame the media. Why is it that we never hear anything anymore about the war in Iraq? That's because we are actually progressing over there, and nothing disasterous is happening. Because of this, the media switched their gears to the economy. It's the media that is making everybody think that way, being the ones that caused us to get into a recession. It's the media that made the Bush administration look like a disaster and they failed to really comprehend that these past couple years, Bush had some good ideas to help us out. However, because of the Democratic rule in the House and the Senate, he was unable to see his plans carried out. So desperate for a "change."

Last edited by scouseofdistinction : Nov 06, 2008 at 09:22 PM.
scouseofdistinction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2008, 09:44 PM   #102
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouseofdistinction View Post
Why is it that we never hear anything anymore about the war in Iraq? That's because we are actually progressing over there, and nothing disasterous is happening.
I know the US media hardly informs about what goes on in Iraq but we do not have that limitation here in Europe and we get the stories on an almost daily basis and there still is a lot happening and although there are many positive results, there still is a lot of disasterous things happening.

Quote:
It's the media that made the Bush administration look like a disaster and they failed to really comprehend that these past couple years, Bush had some good ideas to help us out. However, because of the Democratic rule in the House and the Senate, he was unable to see his plans carried out. So desperate for a "change."
This is an interesting view. Can you name a few examples of 'good' things the Bush administration had in mind which could not be carried out? And just for the record, I am not being sarcastic or anything. I just am interested.

Last edited by FPSHOT : Nov 06, 2008 at 09:48 PM.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2008, 10:43 PM   #103
beatlelover45223

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccartneyluvr View Post
No matter what my political views are I always have respect for the office of President, no matter who occupies it.

Bravo, we may not agree your right, we did elect the President and I agree he needs to be shown respect, many of us have gotten lacks with no repect for the office of President, I hate to see our own people call our President names, that in turn causes a ripple effect throughout the world, how do we as a nation get respect when we show no respect for our Commander And Chief, I hope to never see it happen again in my life....

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2008, 11:04 PM   #104
beatlelover45223

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post

This is an interesting view. Can you name a few examples of 'good' things the Bush administration had in mind which could not be carried out? And just for the record, I am not being sarcastic or anything. I just am interested.
You know, you have to have empathy for George W Bush, he was hardly in office when the attack on the World Trade Center happened, a lot of things that were going down hill for the US, were left overs from the Clinton administration, the threats were a known fact before Clinton left office, I know we were all confused with Iraq's invasion but even Saddam himself indicated to the worlds powers that there were weapons of mass destruction hidden in Iraq.
I also see Iraq as a strategic country to occupy, it is the country that separates the rest of the oil nations from Iran, for Iran to occupy Iraq would have been a disaster and that is their intent in Iraq to take over that part of the Eastern world... sorry kind of off subject

~ Nancy ~

Last edited by beatlelover45223 : Nov 06, 2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2008, 11:11 PM   #105
beatlelover45223

I heard a stat that was worked up on demographic voting done in Ohio and I am proud to say that the county I live in changed the state of Ohio to a blue state, the program said if it had not been for my county voting the way it did Ohio's electoral vote would have gone red (way to go!), not that I am saying who my preferred candidate was

~ Nancy ~

Last edited by beatlelover45223 : Nov 06, 2008 at 11:21 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2008, 11:20 PM   #106
beatlelover45223

a little factoid, there were 8 men from Virginia that went on to be President of the US (the majority from Virginia were at the beginnings of our young nation when the Capital was officially in that state and not a seperate district as it is now) and 7 from Ohio who went on the become President of the US....

~ Nancy ~
Old Nov 07, 2008, 04:03 AM   #107
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
That's the sad thing. People - again not all, but a big part I'm sure - voted for Obama thinking they can take the free-ride. Are you serious??
Since you've posted this twice, I assume that you want somebody to comment on it. Ok, I'll bite.

I guess I'll repeat your "Are you serious??". Do you really think that a "big part" of the people who voted for Obama think they're going to just sit back and relax and have the government hand them money? Of course not, the news outlet you were watching found a couple of idiots who would say that to get on television because it makes a sensationalistic story. (Though I'm not saying NOBODY thinks that, but if they do, they're not too bright or woefully misinformed.)

I highly doubt that any of the individuals on this board who voted for Obama did so because they think that they can get a free ride from the government. I know I don't.

I think whoever got into office was going to have a tough road. I'm willing to at least give Obama a chance to see what he can do and would have done the same had it gone the other way.
Old Nov 07, 2008, 05:01 AM   #108
chaitanya
Sgt. Pepper

Old Nov 07, 2008, 06:51 AM   #109
saziontherun
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersusBatman View Post
I agree!

Awwwww!
saziontherun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2008, 07:12 AM   #110
VersusBatman
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
Isn't that so cool?! :D

Nooo... I will look for that on Tube! That sounds awesome!

I find it significant Obama is the first black president, no matter the percent. I think it is amazing and cool and freaking awesome. :)
During Obama's speech, I was humming "You Can't Stop The Beat" from Hairspray.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2008, 08:49 AM   #111
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlelover45223 View Post
I heard a stat that was worked up on demographic voting done in Ohio and I am proud to say that the county I live in changed the state of Ohio to a blue state, the program said if it had not been for my county voting the way it did Ohio's electoral vote would have gone red (way to go!), not that I am saying who my preferred candidate was
Hmmm...I'm guessing around Cleveland or Columbus. Am I right?

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2008, 08:54 AM   #112
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

Quote:
There are 2 things I have to say. But, before I go into the first one, I just want to point out that it was in another post of mine, but I decided to bring it up here.

1) I was watching a few news clips the other day of people stating how they were so thrilled to have Obama as president. Their reason? "So I won't have to pay for my welfare or my mortgage. I won't have to worry about that anymore!" You have got to be kidding me!

That's the sad thing. People - again not all, but a big part I'm sure - voted for Obama thinking they can take the free-ride. Are you serious?? Personally, I don't make a great deal of money. I myself am struggling day to day with finances due to living the life of a college student, but I seriously think that what these people believe is wrong and immoral. You have these people, the "richer" folk making the wages they do because they WORKED HARD to get where they are at. They DID NOT take the free-ride! What is that really teaching us here? Teaching me? I shouldn't try to get ahead in life because the government will support me? I do not think it's logical to take money away from the individuals that worked hard to get where they are at to give it to people who don't try to do a thing about their lives.

2)

Personally, if there is someone or something that needs to be blamed, I blame the media. Why is it that we never hear anything anymore about the war in Iraq? That's because we are actually progressing over there, and nothing disasterous is happening. Because of this, the media switched their gears to the economy. It's the media that is making everybody think that way, being the ones that caused us to get into a recession. It's the media that made the Bush administration look like a disaster and they failed to really comprehend that these past couple years, Bush had some good ideas to help us out. However, because of the Democratic rule in the House and the Senate, he was unable to see his plans carried out. So desperate for a "change."
Good stuff! I agree with a decent amount of this (all the stuff about the war and the economy). Bush has turned into a giant scapegoat. Is he the best President we've ever had? Probably not. But I wouldn't be so quick to label him as the worst ever either. As a historian, you have to give things some time before you can make assessments that so many liberals have been quick to give to him.

I hope that nobody wants a free ride like you said, but I fear a lot probably do want that.

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2008, 09:00 AM   #113
Asha
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecaitycat View Post
I look forward to a time where Black/Asian/Hispanic presidents and governors are so commonplace that nobody mentions their skin color.
Amen!
Asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2008, 09:02 AM   #114
Asha
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart View Post
I highly doubt that any of the individuals on this board who voted for Obama did so because they think that they can get a free ride from the government. I know I don't.
I don't either. & I know a LOT of people who voted for him.
Asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2008, 06:29 PM   #115
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

And neither do I. I voted for Obama because I felt he most closely represented our collective best interests.

Trust me, I know A LOT of people who voted for him as well and who are just as delighted as I am that Obama won!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2008, 10:14 PM   #116
Legs
Sun King

I obviously can't speak for the voters in the U.S.,
but it unfair to assume that most people who have voted for Obama did so thinking they get a free ride. It's simply because they think he was the better choise of the two.

Wheter Bush was the worse president remains to be seen,
but I think he knocked a lot down of what Clinton build, and generaly the U.S. is in worse position then when Clinton ran the country. Mainly because of the politcs of Bush's administration.
Most people wanted a change, and perhaps unfairly to McCain, since he is from the same party as Bush, they simply didn't think a change under McCain was posible. Ofcourse Obama can't work miracles, and I do think McCain would have done things differently then Bush.

There are ofcourse many different reasons also, but I really don't think that a majority of voters are so naive that they think they get a free ride.

Last edited by Legs : Nov 07, 2008 at 11:16 PM.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2008, 10:45 PM   #117
VersusBatman
Sun King

Also it's wrong to assume people voted for Obama because he's black. I've read comments all over the 'net that accused black voters of voting for him because of that fact.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons

Last edited by VersusBatman : Nov 07, 2008 at 10:46 PM.
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2008, 03:09 AM   #118
chaitanya
Sgt. Pepper

thanks Bob !!!

thanks Paul !!!

Last edited by chaitanya : Nov 08, 2008 at 03:22 AM.
chaitanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2008, 08:07 AM   #119
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersusBatman View Post
Also it's wrong to assume people voted for Obama because he's black. I've read comments all over the 'net that accused black voters of voting for him because of that fact.
You're kidding right? So it's just a "coincidence" that like 94% or 95% of the black population voted for Obama? I'm curious, at what percentage would you begin to believe? Maybe 99.9%?

It's funny how it's ok for the media to call white people racist for voting for McCain, and to write article after article about it. But it's just assumed that every black person on the planet would naturally vote for Obama. Which one seems more racist to you?

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2008, 08:39 AM   #120
Tim
Sgt. Pepper

I just wish the victory was bigger....

Me? I'm all talk...
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote