BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Act Naturally

Old Jan 02, 2008, 09:11 PM   #1
Get Back
Wild Honey Pie

Default Beatles cartoons

As far as I know, the Beatles animated cartoons series that originally aired between 1966-1969 is not yet available to the public. Does anyone know if there is any talk of a DVD compilation coming out soon (or later)? I remember watching the cartoons on TV and I thought they were absolutely beatle-tastic And with two young kids now, they would be just over the moon to have this compilation.
Old Jan 02, 2008, 10:10 PM   #2
Serena

they were cute...i suppose. i have many of them on dvd, not officially of course. many cartoons can still be viewed on you tube. i am not sure, but it is probably not one of the next things on apple's release list any time soon.

Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2008, 11:40 AM   #3
Perderabo
Apple Scruff

They have been around forever. I assume that that they were officially released. The VHS set looked official anyway. The DVD set is still for sale at various places. I have never seen the DVD's in person so I don't know if they are official looking or not. DVD's here complete set for $29.95.

Watch one first. I don't think they are very good. I will try to link one in...
Perderabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2008, 01:33 PM   #4
Get Back
Wild Honey Pie

Thank you Perderabo. Last time I checked online, I thought the Beatles cartoon site said that there is no official word yet on public release of the whole set. I obviously didn't look hard enough. Anyway, I've bought them.
Old Jan 03, 2008, 01:38 PM   #5
Legs
Sun King

They have never been officially released, at least not on dvd. Plenty of bootleg releases tho. I recently did away two of my four dvd's. Maybe I will sell the other two also. The cartoons have little to do with The Beatles, they are maybe nice to watch once but can't say I have a need to owe them anymore.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2008, 02:04 PM   #6
Get Back
Wild Honey Pie

Legs, I know that the voices are not from the Beatles, but from vocalists hired specifically for the show. I have bought the 8-DVD set with all the original episodes which claims to be of superior quality to the compressed 4-DVD set. But for $20-something, for the kids to watch, I'm not too concerned.
Old Jan 03, 2008, 02:20 PM   #7
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

Just to share, it was Paul Frees who did John and George, Lance Percival who did Paul and Ringo. Paul Frees also did many of the incidental characters. I forget who did the ladies voices.

No, it's not officially out yet. I have a bootleg set of all the episodes as well as some recorded off MTV on Betamax (betamax!!) tapes. the old MTV ones are fun to watch are still in very good condition.

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2008, 06:32 PM   #8
Serena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perderabo View Post
They have been around forever. I assume that that they were officially released. The VHS set looked official anyway. The DVD set is still for sale at various places. I have never seen the DVD's in person so I don't know if they are official looking or not. DVD's here complete set for $29.95.

Watch one first. I don't think they are very good. I will try to link one in...
this is the same set i have and they are far from official. they say all 39 episodes are there, but it is only 39 cartoons which is only about half of the episodes. an episode is not the same as a cartoon. the quality is decent i suppose.

Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2008, 12:59 PM   #9
digdad
Sun King

I could never get past the voices in these cartoons. No attempt to sound Scouse at all. Now, I was a fan of the Jackson 5 cartoons--I guess American animators could do Detroit better than Liverpool.

As a side note, you might think that with computer animation and everything, kids nowadays would have no interest in cartoons like these. But what is my kids' favorite channel? Boomerang which shows nothing but cartoons from the time I was a kid and before. Go figure. When you get these, Get Back, your kids will probably love them.

digdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2008, 01:30 PM   #10
Get Back
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdad View Post
As a side note, you might think that with computer animation and everything, kids nowadays would have no interest in cartoons like these. But what is my kids' favorite channel? Boomerang which shows nothing but cartoons from the time I was a kid and before. Go figure. When you get these, Get Back, your kids will probably love them.
That's right digdad. Look, I remember those classic old cartoon shows that they used to show here on Saturday mornings. When I was a kid myself, I'd struggle to get up during the week for school, but come Saturdays, I was up with sparrows at 6.30am for the cartoons, and when the Beatles cartoons came on at 7am, well, it was time to turn up the volume and wake up the household. I know that my 8-yr old would be over the moon being a passionate little Beatles fan himself.

Last edited by Get Back : Jan 04, 2008 at 01:31 PM. Reason: correction
Get Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2008, 06:27 PM   #11
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Actually, the cartoon debuted on 9/25/65.

I loved the cartoons; thought them adorable (although I wish George's "voice man" hadn't given George such a wimpy voice) and love the music.

Poor Paul did NOT look happy just to dance. That bear looked like ass and poor Paul was unable to escape.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Jan 05, 2008 at 06:34 PM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2008, 06:07 AM   #12
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Yeah I Am Happy Just to Dance With You is one of the most crudely animated episodes, even by their standards. I usually skip that one (along with Not a Second Time) because there's just so much cheapness I can take and those pass my limit

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
Old Jan 06, 2008, 07:38 AM   #13
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Yeah, the animation wasn't great in that episode. Then and now I liked the cartoons because a) I love the Beatles and b) cheesy story lines and bad voice men were a small price to pay for Beatle images and music

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 04:22 PM   #14
jagatinho
Mr. Moonlight

I bought my 2 DVD set of Beatles cartoons on ebay for 10 pounds + 5 pounds postage.
I guess I should have bought a version with more DVDs/less compresion, because the quality of sound/picture of my DVDs is not very good.

I've just watched the first few episodes, and I liked them.
Old Apr 03, 2008, 10:15 AM   #15
Tim
Sgt. Pepper

There are DVD's of varied quality. I bought one at megostore. $15 wasted as the sync on theirs is horrible.

Me? I'm all talk...
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2008, 05:34 AM   #16
lennonluvr9
Sun King

I got mine off a Linker who apparently doesnt post here anymore, half past sometime ago...