BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Sep 04, 2011, 02:54 PM   #21
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 834 View Post
"And also in India, you know, they chant those sort of things all over the place. The thing about the word 'Hare' is the word that calls upon the energy that's around from the Lord. Whichever Lord you like, really. But in this case it happens to be Krishna... which is like the words that Christ said became the Christian Bible. And the words that Krishna said became the sort of Hindu Bible called the Bhagwat Ghita. So it's just by merely the repetition of that. It's the same if you were just to go round chanting Christ, Christ, Christ, Christ. If you say it long enough then you build up this identification. Whatever you identify with, you become one with it. So it's really a method of becoming one with God."
That's a great quote!

Is there anything you guys would ask George about spiritual things... were you sitting with him in his garden?

I'd love to just listen and listen to him. I'd like to know about his experiences with hatha yoga, too.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:24 PM   #22
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I would listen first. I don't know what, if anything I would ask. I do know this - I would listen to what he wanted to share and, if I felt the need, ask relevant questions and make relevant responses.

Again, I really would find his perception of Catholicism interesting. I really do think the Catholicism Louise instilled in him did take root for his entire life. George may not have enjoyed the masses and the behavior of some clergy, but I do think the precepts stayed with him for his entire life.

*added in* To quote my other favorite Beatle, Paul McCartney, I would listen to what the man said. *end edit*

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Sep 04, 2011 at 04:28 PM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:33 PM   #23
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
Who says so?

God takes many forms, Christ, Krishna, Buddha, Jehovah, Allah..

George himself remarked on the similarities betwen Christ and Krishna many times..and on the 1974 American tour would get the crowd to chant " Jesus..Krishna, Jesus, Krishna..Christ's name in the orginal Greek is KRISTOS ..Krishna, Kristos..both share the KRI..coincidence?

Its not God that is limited, it is some peoples narrow visions ie you cant do this or that, that is a human invention..

I havent heard about a full blown conversion at the end of his life, and would doubt it as George was fully Christ Concious for most of his life

Hallelujiah..Hare Krishna... Thats practising both right there!
which god are you speaking of here? You do realize that many of us are polytheist including the Hindus even if some follow one god over others.
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2011, 02:05 PM   #24
Georgie Girl
Sun King

I remember reading an invterview of George where he said that after he studied Krishna, he understood Christianity better, that Christ took on the karma of the world.

The west is
the best.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2011, 02:40 PM   #25
beatlebangs1964

That is a very interesting standpoint, GGirl. I think that was put well on George's part. Many religions overlap and all share the basic precept of treating others the way you want to be treated.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Old Sep 07, 2011, 04:26 AM   #26
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

ONe of the questions I wondered about George have already been answered in another thread. It was about the rumors he was always a slut.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 06:06 AM   #27
larainefan
Little Child

Ha! On another forum some of us George-lovers decided he was not a slut, he was just a free spirit, lol! :)
larainefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:12 AM   #28
Georgie Girl
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
That is a very interesting standpoint, GGirl. I think that was put well on George's part. Many religions overlap and all share the basic precept of treating others the way you want to be treated.
That's right, BB. A lot of parellels in the religions that we know of--as though people around the world had similar visions and visitations, but the prophets/shamen/whatevers described them in their own cultural contexts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfittoy View Post
ONe of the questions I wondered about George have already been answered in another thread. It was about the rumors he was always a slut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larainefan View Post
Ha! On another forum some of us George-lovers decided he was not a slut, he was just a free spirit, lol! :)
He was just being a rock star when he was young.

The west is
the best.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:36 PM   #29
beatlelover45223

Default 6 Things You Can Look Forward To With The Release of Material World DVD

http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2011/...ix_things.html

George Harrison: Living In The Material World is a new, epic film charting the life and times of "the Beatle that changed the most". The full MOJO review will appear in a future issue of the mag (sneak preview - it's great), but in the meantime here are six things you can look forward to seeing when it is released on DVD/Blu-ray this autumn.

1.There is enough unseen footage, photos, audio outtakes and new interviews to satisfy even the most devoted Beatles fans.

Five years in the making, Living In The Material World contains new contributions from a small army of George's nearest and dearest. Apart from the somewhat expected absence of Bob Dylan, there are new interviews with Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, George Martin, Yoko Ono, Tom Petty, Phil Spector, Jim Keltner, Jackie Stewart and Dhani and Olivia Harrison. The latter (the film's producer) has done an incredible job of sifting through the archives to deliver never-seen-before images, home movies and, perhaps most potently, a series of letters George wrote to his mother during the Beatlemania years. Narrated by his son Dhani, each details the pandemonium that followed the group wherever they went, the frustrations that came with global adoration and the beginnings of his journey into Eastern spiritualism. Anyone familiar with the vast Beatles Anthology documentary will have seen some of the Harrison interview footage before, but Scorsese and his team have been careful not to duplicate that project's rigid album-by-album narrative. They've also managed to avoid the well-trodden clips of The Ed Sullivan Show/ Shea Stadium gigs/A Hard Day's Night/Our World broadcast etc. In short, it all feels fresh.

2. It's 3 ½ hours long.

Like Scorsese's Dylan doc, No Direction Home, Living In The Material World is split into two parts. The first 94 minutes chart George's life from his birth in Liverpool in 1943 up until the dissolution of Beatles in 1970. The second half (114 minutes) begins with the recording of All Things Must Pass and travels through the highs and lows of the '70s and '80s before settling in the confines of his family home at the gigantic Friar Park estate and ending with his death in November 2001.

3. It'll make you laugh.

Living In The Material World does a wonderful job of capturing Harrison's scathing wit. His method of removing the Hell's Angels from Apple HQ, his close involvement with Monty Python and his dismissal of Paul McCartney's jacket are just some of the laugh-out-loud moments in the film.

4. Olivia Harrison's account of the 1999 stabbing is terrifying.

On the eve of the new millennium a 36 year-old paranoid schizophrenic broke into Friar Park and attacked George with a kitchen knife, stabbing him several times. Olivia's retaliation against the assailant undoubtedly saved her husband's life. Her memories of that night are chilling and the physical and mental shockwaves are shown to have been far more serious than was first suspected.

5. There are revelations a-plenty.

McCartney's description of his friend as "red-blooded" and Olivia's admission that there had been "hiccups" in their marriage, suggest that George's love of women ¬- and their love of him - may have been almost as powerful as his dedication to spiritual salvation.

There are also candid comments from Eric Clapton on falling in love with George's first wife Patti Boyd. Clapton hints that the idea of "swapping" had actually begun much earlier in the era of "free love".

After the initial explosion of success with All Things Must Pass and The Concert For Bangladesh, the '70s proved a tough decade for Harrison. The trappings of the rock star life had taken over and he looks painfully thin in the live footage from his tour of 1974.

And then there's what he said to Tom Petty when Roy Orbison died...

6. It's a spiritual journey from start to finish.

George on John Lennon's murder: "I think it's nicer if you can consciously leave your body at death as opposed to some lunatic shooting you on the street." Harrison's infatuation with Eastern style, study and sound has remained an integral part of Beatle-lore and Living In The Material World provides the most comprehensive mapping of his quest to date. A man of extremes, Harrison was an intensely private individual who also had the capacity to maintain long-lasting friendships with those he loved. Ringo's tearful recollection of the last words George said to him is testament to the complexity and the compassion of someone who never stopped journeying inward.

George Harrison: Living In The Material World is released on DVD and Blu-ray on October 10.

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:59 PM   #30
darkhorse23
Dr. Robert

I just hope it's out on a DVD soon; like maybe available for the Christmas season. (hint, hint)
www.americanpatrol.com[/color]
darkhorse23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2011, 09:11 PM   #31
constance
Nowhere Man

Thanks for posting the details. I can't wait to see it, I hope this is the same as the one scheduled for HBO in October.
constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2011, 07:56 AM   #32
Georgie Girl
Sun King

Why DIDN'T Bob Dylan participate?

The west is
the best.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 11:47 AM   #33
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
. Many religions overlap and all share the basic precept of treating others the way you want to be treated.
Many religions do overlap. The Theosophy Society studies this but not all share the premise of nice behavior. Islamic Jihadist for one and it's straight from their holy book.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:43 AM   #34
Hari's Chick

Toy, that is untrue and a misconception. So many Muslims - and also Sikhs (because they also wear turbans) - have suffered because people want to persecute them since the attacks on 9/11.

You reference jihad... jihad is often translated in the west to mean "holy war." Really, the meaning comes closer to “exerting force for God.” This means if a professor speaks to illuninate a group of students at University, if a scholar writes an informative book, if a kind person explains their religion for a neighbor... these are all examples of jihad. In fact... from wiki...

In modern standard Arabic, jihad is one of the correct terms for a struggle for any cause, violent or not, religious or secular (though كفاح kifāḥ is also used).[citation needed] For instance, Mahatma Gandhi's satyagraha struggle for Indian independence is called a "jihad" in Modern Standard Arabic.

The term also has different meanings in different regions. For instance...

In Lebanon, Kuwait, Jordan, and Morocco, the majority used the term to mean "duty toward God", a "divine duty", or a "worship of God", with no militaristic connotations. Other responses referenced, in descending order of prevalence:

"A commitment to hard work" and "achieving one's goals in life"
"Struggling to achieve a noble cause"
"Promoting peace, harmony or cooperation, and assisting others"
"Living the principles of Islam"[15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jihad

I felt the need to correct your statement. I think these misconceptions are what make for bad vibes between spiritual communities, only make things worse, make prejudice worse. It was Islam-phobia which got Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam detained when he was flying into the U.S.- wasn't he even coming here for a charity event? Just sad.

Okay, back to topic... Toy, just so we might stay on topic, if you want to address this, I request you open a topic in Here, There, and Everywhere.... you can link into this original discussion here if you like.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 07:48 PM   #35
beatlebangs1964

In the little clip I saw with the montage of photos, I thought Toddler George looked a lot like Louise!

Speaking of Muslims, I read an article in today's paper that Al Qaeda has killed more Muslims because of bin Laden's extremist faction's beliefs than anybody else. Many non-Muslims have also been killed by Al Qaeda.

Any religion has a splinter group of extremist crackpots. Even my faith, Catholicism has had its share of extremists who have spread hurt and mayhem. Look at Father Conklin (sp), the anti-Semite who preached BS and hate during the 1940s, for example.

There are good and bad people in every group and that includes religion. Terrorists DISTORT religion and twist the tenets and precepts to suit their purposes.

I'm a thinker, not a thug and I don't support bigotry in any way, shape and form. That includes religious intolerance.

That having been said, George was a thinker. He kept his mind open to people's religious beliefs and wanted to learn as much as possible. The Catholic seeds Louise planted in him very early and life never left him. George, as we know had a beautiful statue of the Blessed Mother on his property. If you listen to many of the things he said, you will glean Catholic roots and find overlapping into other faiths as most, if not all faiths share common beliefs.

Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:02 PM   #36
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
Toy, that is untrue and a misconception. So many Muslims - and also Sikhs (because they also wear turbans) - have suffered because people want to persecute them since the attacks on 9/11.

You reference jihad... jihad is often translated in the west to mean "holy war." Really, the meaning comes closer to “exerting force for God.” This means if a professor speaks to illuninate a group of students at University, if a scholar writes an informative book, if a kind person explains their religion for a neighbor... these are all examples of jihad. In fact... from wiki...

In modern standard Arabic, jihad is one of the correct terms for a struggle for any cause, violent or not, religious or secular (though كفاح kifāḥ is also used).[citation needed] For instance, Mahatma Gandhi's satyagraha struggle for Indian independence is called a "jihad" in Modern Standard Arabic.

The term also has different meanings in different regions. For instance...

In Lebanon, Kuwait, Jordan, and Morocco, the majority used the term to mean "duty toward God", a "divine duty", or a "worship of God", with no militaristic connotations. Other responses referenced, in descending order of prevalence:

"A commitment to hard work" and "achieving one's goals in life"
"Struggling to achieve a noble cause"
"Promoting peace, harmony or cooperation, and assisting others"
"Living the principles of Islam"[15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jihad

I felt the need to correct your statement. I think these misconceptions are what make for bad vibes between spiritual communities, only make things worse, make prejudice worse. It was Islam-phobia which got Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam detained when he was flying into the U.S.- wasn't he even coming here for a charity event? Just sad.

Okay, back to topic... Toy, just so we might stay on topic, if you want to address this, I request you open a topic in Here, There, and Everywhere.... you can link into this original discussion here if you like.
My predjudice existed before 9/11. I've read Muslims make statements against everything that I am from being a tomboy to being a witch.

but in the muslim community here, I am respected by them because I once saved one of their lives and their families give me respect deeply for it when they come into my store. (one even wonders why my burka makes me look like the grim reaper. I wear a cloak)
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:04 PM   #37
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
I.
Any religion has a splinter group of extremist crackpots. Even my faith, Catholicism has had its share of extremists who have spread hurt and mayhem. Look at Father Conklin (sp), the anti-Semite who preached BS and hate during the 1940s, for example.

Did you know the Shrine of the Little FLower in Berkley, MI erected a giant stone penis to father conklin? I drive by it every day to work.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:05 PM   #38
beatlebangs1964

I would think he would be one of the LAST people ANY Catholic organization would honor!

Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:53 PM   #39
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfittoy View Post
Missfittoy as others have said, many of us here find this deeply offensive and it has no place on a George forum.

Likewise your comments on Islam are even more offensive. Ignorance and Prejudice and Hate have no place in this world and certainly not on a George Harrison forum.. Peace to You and i hope you find peace and understanding for all religions and in yourself.

Thank You.

"take me to the river, drop me in the water..."
- David Byrne

Last edited by CWW : Sep 10, 2011 at 10:03 PM.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:57 PM   #40
FPSHOT
Sun King

Last edited by FPSHOT : Sep 10, 2011 at 11:59 PM.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote