BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Act Naturally

Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:43 AM   #1
Tim
Sgt. Pepper

Red face Help! DVD my review

Dics 1 The Movie:
The colours are fabulous! I've never seen this movie this well, rich colurs, no surface scratches,etc...
I have to warn though, depending on your TV, in the daytime it may get very dark for the picture.
Sounds beautiful as well.

Disc 2 Thne Extras:
Documentary on the Making of Help!
Not too impressed, but I knew most if not all of this before.

The Lost Scene:
Nice. gives some idea why this scene was deleted, along with some still. The footage is missing, as is common with deleted scenes and outtakes of the era...you didn't save that kind of stuff then.

Trailers:
Of the three, I'd seen the English/USA one before. Loos betetr though. The ones I hadn't are the Get Your Ticket Now and the Spanish language one.

Restoration:
This is the best of the lot IMO. I'm fascinated by how film, tape etc. is restored. Interesting to see the amount of work need to be done to get Help! up to HD standard.

Interviews:
OK, could have just as easily been in the doc.

Easter Eggs:
When you find them, they're fun to listen to.

Me? I'm all talk...
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:46 AM   #2
LinkTGF
Apple Scruff

I think it was a pretty good dvd release, I kinda wish they had gone more into detail about the restoration (as that usually is my favorite special feature of old film dvds lol) but my fave thing off the bat were the dvd menus

I Buried Paul... There I Admit It, I'll Even Tell You Where, Outside Behind Abbey Road Studios, It Was Great Fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hofner View Post
Man, when I hear songs like "All You Need Is Love" and "Let It Be" it makes me want to grab a baseball bat and go out to crack some skulls!
LinkTGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 11:31 PM   #3
Beatle_soul
Dr. Robert

Yes. I thought the sound and picture was great!. I just bought Help! on Saturday.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 06:30 AM   #4
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I cant comment on the DVD since I wont be getting it till Christmas but I'm just happy that it's a 2 disc release. That's better than what I've been getting from other movie releases lately...

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:39 AM   #5
pattiboyd's slave
Sgt. Pepper

Even though Richard Lester is in the extras, I would have liked a commentary by him during the movie.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:44 AM   #6
biglou114
Bulldog

Send a message via AIM to biglou114

I think the picture on the release is breathtaking, I've lived with the MPI release for the past 5 years, and the difference is astounding. Can't comment on the 5.1 mix, because I don't have a very good sound system here at college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattiboyd's slave View Post
Even though Richard Lester is in the extras, I would have liked a commentary by him during the movie.
Agreed, commentaries are my favourite type of special features. When a film comes out without one, it seems like it's a cheap release.

"I've learned from my mistakes and I'm sure I can repeat them exactly." - Peter Cook
biglou114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:31 AM   #7
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

One thing though...

... would it have killed anyone to have Paul or Ringo... or Paul AND Ringo do an audio-commentary track on the DVD ?

Ohhhhhhhhhhh (sigh), I can soooooooooooooo hear it now "Oh, Ringo, that's the bit where you and George did (this, this and that), and then, John came in and..." ... ect...

Or at least a mini-documentary, with the two recalling their memories of shooting the movie ?

Last edited by ABCKO : Nov 15, 2007 at 12:31 AM.
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 09:03 AM   #8
Kelli
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCKO View Post
Ohhhhhhhhhhh (sigh), I can soooooooooooooo hear it now "Oh, Ringo, that's the bit where you and George did (this, this and that), and then, John came in and..." ... ect...

Or at least a mini-documentary, with the two recalling their memories of shooting the movie ?

I completely agree. They should have done something. It would be wonderful to know they had some sort of direct connection to the DVD, you know? Even if it was just a few scenes.

But maybe they don't remember too much.
Kelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 01:43 AM   #9
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli View Post
I completely agree. They should have done something. It would be wonderful to know they had some sort of direct connection to the DVD, you know? Even if it was just a few scenes.

But maybe they don't remember too much.
Same could be said for the DVD releases of "Yellow Submarime" and "A hard day's night"...

And, as far as "not remebering", they remembered enough of it during the "Anthology" series and, besides, I'm sure that just watching it again as they did the commentary, loads of stuff would have come back to them. At worst, they could at least comment on the songs, as we see each one played. Also, they could have done like on one of the Star Trek DVD's, have somone who DOES know about the movie, comenting along with Paul and/or Ringo, to "fill in the blanks".

At any rate, just havinmg the two of them talking together for an hour or two, as the movie runs, it wouln't have been boring I'll tell you that ! At worst, they could do like I've heard on other DVD commentaries: babble on about stuff that's only vaguely (or not at all) related to the movie at hand.

Last edited by ABCKO : Nov 19, 2007 at 01:45 AM.
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 09:37 AM   #10
zipp

I've just watched the DVDs and agree with most of the comments here.
Just like to add that the Martin Scorses essay is interesting in the little booklet.
Compared to my A Hard Day's Night DVD I'd say the image and sound are better restored but the bonuses are less interesting overall.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 12:48 PM   #11
oldbeatlechick
Sun King

I love this release of Help! I too notice the difference between this and the MPI DVD I have, the colours are much sharper as are the images. I found the second disc interesting but also already knew much of what was discussed about the making of the film!

Overall I was impressed and so pleased I bought the limited edition deluxe version with the poster, script, book and the cards. I feel it was money well spent!!

“We didn't all get into music for a job! We got into music to avoid a job, in truth - and get lots of girls.”
Paul McCartney
oldbeatlechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 04:00 PM   #12
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

I finally got around to watching mine yesterday during and after dinner and I'm pleased with it. The movie itself looks fantastic, the colors are so bright and crisp and it sounds great too (even though my TV doesn't have the world's greatest stereo sound, I can tell it sounds better than my old VHS copy). The "extras" disc is ok...what the heck accent is that that Richard Lester has? It keeps switching around...lol...I think the marketing that it contains a "deleted scene" is deceptive. Although I knew it only had stills and people talking about it before I bought it, those not as Beatle connected as we are could easily come to the conclusion that the scene was actually on there. I agree that the restoration stuff was fascinating.

I'd rather concentrate on what we DID get with this release, at a relatively modest price, than whine about what we didn't get, but I know that people love to complain, so...whatever.