BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Act Naturally

Old Sep 05, 2007, 02:24 AM   #21
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

Hallellujah, God be praised!
Old Sep 05, 2007, 11:16 AM   #22
Mind Games
Fool On The Hill

This is great. It will be a nice birthday or christmas present. I never saw the film Help (i just know AHDN) and I lokk forward to seeing it in December.

Hannah
Old Sep 05, 2007, 08:59 PM   #23
LinkTGF
Apple Scruff

I can't believe how much the box set is going for... Is anyone else gonna buy it after seeing the price or just go for the regular edition?

I Buried Paul... There I Admit It, I'll Even Tell You Where, Outside Behind Abbey Road Studios, It Was Great Fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hofner View Post
Man, when I hear songs like "All You Need Is Love" and "Let It Be" it makes me want to grab a baseball bat and go out to crack some skulls!
LinkTGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2007, 09:42 AM   #24
pattiboyd's slave
Sgt. Pepper

I've been watching an Import of Help! since last Christmas that I purchased on Amazon but probably will want to get the "restored" copy when it comes out. This is truly good news for Beatles and Dick Lester fans!
Old Sep 06, 2007, 09:54 AM   #25
pattiboyd's slave
Sgt. Pepper

Default Dick Lester Help!

Richard Lester has become one of my favorite directors over the past several years. It took me a second viewing of How I Won The War to appreciate it because the first time through, well admittedly, I was waiting just to see John Lennon. However, once I got into the film I realized it stood on its own as a great anti-war movie. Also, the movies, The Knack & Petulia are now two personal favorites. I'd recommend those movies to anyone that like Mr. Lester's work with our Lads. Here's some stuff I found out about him on wikipedia.

A short film Lester made with Spike Milligan and Peter Sellers — The Running Jumping & Standing Still Film — was a favourite of The Beatles, and in particular John Lennon. When the band were contracted to make a film in 1964, they chose Lester from a list of possible directors. A Hard Day's Night showed an exaggerated and simplified version of The Beatles' characters, and proved to be an incredibly effective marketing tool. Many of its stylistic innovations survive today as the conventions of music videos, in particular the multi-angle filming of a live performance.

Lester directed the second Beatles film Help! in 1965. He then went on to direct several quintessential 'swinging' films, including the sex comedy The Knack...And How to Get It (1965), which won the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival and Petulia (1968) (both with scores by John Barry), as well as the 1967 darkly surreal anti-war movie How I Won the War co-starring John Lennon, which he referred to as an "anti-anti-war movie"; Lester noted that anti-war movies still took the concept of war seriously, contrasting "bad" war crimes with wars fought for "good" causes like the liberation from Nazism or, at that time, Communism, whereas he set out to deconstruct it to show war as fundamentally opposed to humanity. Although set in World War II, the movie is indeed an oblique reference to the Vietnam War and at one point, breaking the fourth wall, references this directly.

In the 1970s, Lester directed a wide variety of films, including the disaster film Juggernaut (1974), Robin and Marian (1976), starring Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn and the period romance Cuba (1979), also starring Connery. However his biggest commercial successes in this period were The Three Musketeers (1973) and its sequel The Four Musketeers (1974). The films were somewhat controversial at the time because the producers, Alexander Salkind and Ilya Salkind, decided to split the film into two after principal photography was completed. Many of the cast sued the Salkinds as a result, stating that they were only contracted to make one film.[citation needed]

Superman
In 1978, the Salkinds brought him in as an uncredited producer for Superman: The Movie and Superman II[2], which was being shot simultaneously (on purpose this time). Ostensibly, he was to serve as a buffer between the producers and the director, Richard Donner. As the release of Superman neared, production on II was halted to concentrate on getting the first movie completed. After the first Superman film was released in late 1978, the Salkinds went back into production on II without informing Donner and placing Lester behind the camera for the completion of the film. Although Donner had shot approximately 75% of the film, Lester jettisoned or reshot much of the original footage, resulting in Lester receiving sole credit for directing II. Gene Hackman, who played Lex Luthor, did not return, and Lester instead used a stunt double and an impersonator to loop Luthor's lines into footage of Hackman shot during Donner's tenure on II. The footage filmed by Donner was later integrated into television versions of the film with Lester's footage. In November 2006, Donner's footage was reedited into Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut, using mostly Donner footage, with the only Lester footage being that which is necessary to cover scenes not shot during Donner's principal photography. Donner revealed on the new DVD of Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut that he has never heard from Lester since his firing after the completion of the first film.

Lester also directed Superman III in 1983.

Later years
In 1988, Lester reunited the entire Musketeers cast to film another sequel, The Return of the Musketeers. However, during filming in Spain, the actor Roy Kinnear, a close friend of Lester's, was killed after falling from a horse. Lester finished the film, then retired from directing, only returning to direct a music video for friend Paul McCartney in 1991, Get Back.

In 1993, he presented Hollywood UK, a five-part series on British cinema in the 1960s for the BBC.

In recent years, director Steven Soderbergh has been one of many calling for a reappraisal of Lester's work and influence. Soderbergh wrote a 1999 book, Getting Away With It which consists largely of interviews with Lester.
Old Sep 06, 2007, 06:27 PM   #26
.Psychedelic.Stars.
Taxman

This is so win.
Old Sep 06, 2007, 08:02 PM   #27
EasternBird
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via MSN to EasternBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkTGF View Post
I can't believe how much the box set is going for... Is anyone else gonna buy it after seeing the price or just go for the regular edition?
How much $$? I haven't seen the prices anywhere yet.

Stop Worrying: A Tribute To HELP!
EasternBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2007, 09:27 PM   #28
Lynner

This will be on my Christmas list for sure!
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2007, 12:33 AM   #29
mari
Sun King

WEEEEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkTGF View Post
How much is it? Can't find the price anywhere. I want it though!

Last edited by mari : Sep 07, 2007 at 12:34 AM.
mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2007, 05:14 AM   #30
biglou114
Bulldog

Send a message via AIM to biglou114

On amazon the box set is....$94.99!!!
If it truly is that expensive I'll be going for the regular version.

"I've learned from my mistakes and I'm sure I can repeat them exactly." - Peter Cook
biglou114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2007, 05:28 AM   #31
taxman
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglou114 View Post
If it truly is that expensive I'll be going for the regular version.
You can say that again...
taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2007, 10:05 AM   #32
biglou114
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
You can say that again...
If it truly is that expensive I'll be going for the regular version

"I've learned from my mistakes and I'm sure I can repeat them exactly." - Peter Cook
Old Sep 07, 2007, 10:10 AM   #33
HeyBeatle
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HeyBeatle Send a message via MSN to HeyBeatle

Hurrah!!!!
It's already on my christmas list and I haven't written it up yet! I already have the DVD (the shortlived copy from around 97-98) but it's my favorite movie so I might have to lean on the crazy side and get both.

If toast always lands butter side down and cats always land on their feet. Then what happens when you strap toast to a cat and drop it.
HeyBeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2007, 02:10 PM   #34
mari
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglou114 View Post
....and she don't care
Old Sep 08, 2007, 05:16 AM   #35
biglou114
Bulldog

Here's a picture of the the deluxe set, and it looks like the book is about Anthology size, so the book is taking up most of that cost

But, uless the price drops at least $30, I'm not even thinking about it.
Besides (I can't believe that I'm actually saying this, but it is $70 less) I'm actually will be more than happy with this:

Last edited by biglou114 : Sep 08, 2007 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Added Information
Old Sep 09, 2007, 03:28 AM   #37
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post

Once a year you have to be allowed for one fricken time. Not too much asked?

- Biggles
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 06:32 PM   #40
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

Beatlefest says they dont have the prices for it yet (which is weird since amazon clearly does). I really want the deluxe edition but I cant spend nearly $100 for that...

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote