BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Apr 06, 2009, 01:42 PM   #381
ChrisG134
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG134 View Post
I agree with you.i thought it was a very good movie.It was based on a true story.Dogs die.When I first read the book I had a feeling that was going to happen..They don't live forever.They ending was great cause no matter how bad he was at times they still loved him.He was part of the family.HC you must of seen something totally different than we did.
HC you also mentioned that she didn't love the dog anymore .Well she had 3 screaming kids and Marley's ripping up the couch.Can you blame her?She was having a bad day and apoligized later that day and said Marley's home is with them.
Old Apr 06, 2009, 02:01 PM   #382
ilianna
Old Brown Shoe

Role Models
by named christened. They decided to get
together because they were the getting-together
type. When they were together they wondered
what for after all, what for? So all of a sudden
they all grew guitars and formed a noise."

- JOHN LENNON

"I'm always getting winked at these days"
ilianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2009, 08:36 PM   #383
beatlelover45223

I read the book and enjoyed the book, I was looking forward to seeing the movie, I think Magill summed up what I got from the book quite well, the book was a tribute to their love, life and that crazy dog they took into their lives!

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2009, 11:04 AM   #384
Hari's Chick

Default cool discussion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magill View Post
I dunno, HC. I think that's a rather dim and cynical view of the movie.
I was very cynical writing this because I was so disappointed! That's true...

Quote:
I think the spirit behind it passed you over. Really, it's about embracing something new whether it is a puppy or even a newborn baby. Every new parent I've ever known is filled with panic once they leave the hospital. Or even a kennel. Because they don't come with owner's manuals (darn it!)
I did see what they intended the spirit to be, but I feel it all fell sadly short of it's mark. They were patient initially but there were times Marley was sadly outcast, imo. Like when they left on vacation and did not even stop and brief the dogsitter. They were so glad to be getting 'away' from Marley that they literally threw their instruction book/expectations at her and flew out the door! I found that a sad attitude towards their 'beloved' dog AND selfish when it came to a young dogsitter, who obviously did not have a clue how to handle the dog! I found the sitter comendable in staying the time they were gone considering she was not briefed at all!

Quote:
I applaud them both for for being supportive and loving to each other. I thought they had a healthy, open and honest relationship.
Gosh, not me. When Owen Wilson's character was defending the 'fight' they had had to his friend... he could barely find two words nice to say about Jennifer Aniston's character. Btw, I did like Owen Wilson's character the most of the adults in the film (and Alan Arkin's).

Quote:
What's wrong with that? Most people would kill for that! Sure, it wasn't always wine and roses. But, I ask you, what marriage is like that? Maybe her meltdown put you off?
An honest relationship is awesome, but I did not see them as loving. They really were not the least affectionate towards one another. Imo, they were flatlined towards each other, pretty much. The only nice thing JA said about him the whole movie was when she was thumbing through his newspaper clips. And she was more than happy having him work extra hours to get her big home. She didn't appear to miss him or care he was unhappy in life and missed the simple things.

Her meltdown... well.. it did not put me off, I think. But there are things you just don't say no matter what! And saying the dog is not a part of the family any more because he is a nuisance... what message does that send her own kids? That is what I found horrible and so selfish. OW even says to her then, "Is that what you are going to do to me when I make a mistake?"...something like that?

Quote:
One thing...a "philanderer"? I don't recall seeing any cheating happening between them unless I missed something in a blink of an eye. IMO, I enjoyed the movie because it was honest and true to life.
I meant... um... Owen Wilson's journalist friend? The one with all the g/f's so he cannot keep names straight? But then... later they meet up and both are equally miserable... and the friend scoots off to hit on the passers by?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magill View Post
It's amazing how long Marley lived considering everything he ate. I know! Maybe it was because he was so loved!

As a dog trainer yourself, HC, don't you think it admirable that they kept Marley instead of getting rid of him? Given his energetic, rambuncous spirited behaviour?
I felt Owen Wilson's character loved the dog through thick and thin, but not JA's character. I felt in fact OW got more understanding and unconditional love from the dog than he did from JA! I think had it been purely her dog, Marley would have been out long before. She was not affectionate in general..... maybe in the book she was, but certainly not in this movie, imo.

Also, he was supposed to write these funny columns for years but he never really laughed in the movie? He seemed unhappy, she seemed selfish and greedy...

Now... Alan Arkin.... his character rocked.

Last edited by Hari's Chick : Apr 07, 2009 at 11:04 AM.
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2009, 11:12 AM   #385
Hari's Chick

Oh, I thought it sad also when he left the original newspaper... after all those years with Alan Arkin giving him that huge raise to stay and what not. I know many people (most) would feel that it was career advancement and all that.. but to me, AA was his friend and had given a lot to accomodate him in the years, made him who he was. Then he up and left. Maybe I am a bit too Mayberry, but Barney would never do that to Andy!
Old Apr 07, 2009, 11:31 AM   #386
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hofner View Post
"Marley and Me".... very sweet and sad movie.
Very sad!

Quote:
I agree with you.i thought it was a very good movie.It was based on a true story.Dogs die.When I first read the book I had a feeling that was going to happen..They don't live forever.They ending was great cause no matter how bad he was at times they still loved him.He was part of the family.HC you must of seen something totally different than we did.
It's interesting to read other opinions for me, too!

Quote:
HC you also mentioned that she didn't love the dog anymore .Well she had 3 screaming kids and Marley's ripping up the couch.Can you blame her?She was having a bad day and apoligized later that day and said Marley's home is with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlelover45223 View Post
I read the book and enjoyed the book, I was looking forward to seeing the movie, I think Magill summed up what I got from the book quite well, the book was a tribute to their love, life and that crazy dog they took into their lives!
I think when Marley tore up the couch was before the kids, during their vacation? And they had left Marley with the dogsitter, who was way young and not invested in the dog. I thought it was sad how poorly they had the vacation planned out because Marley could have died fro eating the couch! My Grandma's dog died from eating the stuffing inside a couch. :( I think the Dog Whisperer would have said to organize things- like have the sitter take Marley on a huge walk a couple times a day... and make certain when left alone that Marley could not have access to furniture/dangerous things in the house because when owners leave ...sometimes dogs DO retaliate. That can happen. So, like a cleared section in the garage or something... for sleeping... and a lot of input socially from the sitter during the day. That would have been safer and more loving for Marley... and lots of treats. OR... They could have sent Marley to training while they were away!

You're right that JA's character did say later the dog's home was with them... but in the movie, she seemed so removed from the dog in general.

Maybe the book was different?
Old Apr 07, 2009, 12:04 PM   #387
VersusBatman
Sun King

Maybe the dog sitting part was purely for wacky hi jinks.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2009, 08:06 AM   #388
VersusBatman
Sun King

Lady In The water

I tried my best to keep an open mind despite the bad reviews from critics and my cousin's wife. She warned me not to bother with it. I like fantasy and with that in mind, I tried to lose myself in the story and characters. However, this movie was so boring. It wasn't so bad it's funny, it was just plain dull. Also, it seemed as if M Night made it up as he went.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2009, 09:06 AM   #389
mari
Sun King

Default happy easter...

Jesus Christ! Jesus Christ!
Who are you? What have you sacrificed?
Jesus Christ! Superstar!
Do you think you're what they say you are?

Old Apr 08, 2009, 10:12 AM   #390
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersusBatman View Post
Maybe the dog sitting part was purely for wacky hi jinks.
You could be right, here... :)

Watched "Henry Poole Is Here" which was basically a suburban reinactment of the life of Jesus. It was good, but I didn't like the ending, though I understand the higher purpose. It is still hard to watch. It was hard in this movie to watch a Holy Relic treated with disrespect, even though it was of course fictitious.
Old Apr 08, 2009, 05:47 PM   #391
Mrs.Mustard
Paperback Writer

Powder
Old Apr 09, 2009, 05:45 AM   #392
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari View Post
Jesus Christ! Jesus Christ!
Who are you? What have you sacrificed?
Jesus Christ! Superstar!
Do you think you're what they say you are?

Ha! Me too! Plus I plan to watch it again, probably a couple more times before Easter's over. That and Life of Brian. Quite the combo when you put them together

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan

Last edited by lennonluvr9 : Apr 09, 2009 at 05:46 AM.
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2009, 07:28 AM   #393
mari
Sun King

I am so surprised

Actually I was just thinking I'm in the mood for some Life Of Brian! Might watch it tonight!
Old Apr 09, 2009, 08:47 PM   #394
beatlelover45223

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
Very sad!

It's interesting to read other opinions for me, too!

I think when Marley tore up the couch was before the kids, during their vacation? And they had left Marley with the dogsitter, who was way young and not invested in the dog. I thought it was sad how poorly they had the vacation planned out because Marley could have died fro eating the couch! My Grandma's dog died from eating the stuffing inside a couch. :( I think the Dog Whisperer would have said to organize things- like have the sitter take Marley on a huge walk a couple times a day... and make certain when left alone that Marley could not have access to furniture/dangerous things in the house because when owners leave ...sometimes dogs DO retaliate. That can happen. So, like a cleared section in the garage or something... for sleeping... and a lot of input socially from the sitter during the day. That would have been safer and more loving for Marley... and lots of treats. OR... They could have sent Marley to training while they were away!

You're right that JA's character did say later the dog's home was with them... but in the movie, she seemed so removed from the dog in general.

Maybe the book was different?
The Book was written by Marley's Dad, your right HC, he loved that dog!

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2009, 10:33 PM   #395
Mrs.Mustard
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari View Post
I am so surprised

Actually I was just thinking I'm in the mood for some Life Of Brian! Might watch it tonight!
Ahh..one of my all time favorite movies.
"Yes! We're all individuals!"
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:11 AM   #396
mari
Sun King

Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:41 PM   #397
dav-here
Sun King

Send a message via Yahoo to dav-here

"The Song Remains the Same"
Old Apr 11, 2009, 12:16 PM   #398
Mrs.Mustard
Paperback Writer

Being There, with Peter Sellars.

What a brilliant movie, he plays his character sooo well.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 12:19 PM   #399
ilianna
Old Brown Shoe

A Hard Day's Night
by named christened. They decided to get
together because they were the getting-together
type. When they were together they wondered
what for after all, what for? So all of a sudden
they all grew guitars and formed a noise."

- JOHN LENNON

"I'm always getting winked at these days"
ilianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2009, 04:53 PM   #400
coolbeanie
Dr. Robert

"Baby Mama" with Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, and Greg Kinnear. Second time I watched it, and it was better than I remembered. Really funny!