BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Sep 29, 2005, 08:06 PM   #1
jklein87
Apple Scruff

Send a message via AIM to jklein87 Send a message via Yahoo to jklein87
Default Driving Rain vs. Off the Ground ;)

Since other people said in the other thread that this is a whole other topic, i thought i'd make it a new topic. I wanted to make this topic because some feel these are 2 of his worst albums... I agree 50%... i dont like Off the Ground much... I do however really like Driving Rain.

jklein87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 08:31 PM   #2
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

That's tough because I don't like either of them...I guess in the end I'd say I prefer Driving Rain because I hate the PETA-influenced/protest lyrics in almost every song on Off the Ground.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 08:27 AM   #3
IWantToTellYou
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to IWantToTellYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama
I hate the PETA-influenced/protest lyrics in almost every song on Off the Ground.
Ok. This is interesting.

Correct me if I am wrong here. I thought only "Looking For Changes" was the PETA influenced song? I mean, perhaps I am not listening to the lyrics correctly on the other 11 tracks?

Before I start sounding totally redundant on the subject of Driving Rain - to make a long story short, I did not ever enjoy listening to Driving Rain. Ever. I listened to the whole album once, when I first bought it. I cannot count how many times I have listened to OtG. I really enjoy it.

I only enjoy two songs on Driving Rain. Your Loving Flame and From a Lover to a Friend. On OtG I only dislike one song, which is also the song that I am sure most people don't enjoy anyway: Looking For Changes. I do not hate this song - but I can live without it. I did not rip it to my iPod. It is the only song I skipped on OtG. I do not even have one single song from Driving Rain ripped to my iPod.

Driving Rain is not one of McCartney's best albums. It felt rushed and felt like he didn't even bother to take the time to write good lyrics. The songs were not well thought out. It felt like a hodge-podge of songs, just thrown together to make it look like an album. I like listening to lyrics/music that make you think. I like albums that have a nice flow to them. Not something that my four year old cousin could come up with one afternoon while driving around in my car.

Fact of the matter is, there are other McCartney albums that I do not enjoy, and probably never will enjoy. I won't mention them here for fear of starting more topics like Ram vs. Band on the Run. Or something like that. We'd be talking forever and ever, Amen.

To each their own, I say. If you enjoy Driving Rain more than OtG, then more power to you. I just cannot stand Driving Rain one little bit. That is my opinion and I am sticking to it. Hey, after all of these years since Driving Rain's release, and I still don't like it - I doubt that people will be able to change my mind about it.

( jklein, you're too funny! I love the fact that you opened this topic. It shows you have a sense of humor! )
Old Oct 01, 2005, 07:34 AM   #4
jklein87
Apple Scruff

Send a message via AIM to jklein87 Send a message via Yahoo to jklein87

Yea, I try my best :P

I really enjoy the music to most of the songs on Driving Rain, BTW

jklein87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2005, 11:04 AM   #5
Cecilia
Old Brown Shoe

I prefer Off The Ground to Driving Rain. The first one is more like "Paul" and has some good works, like "Mistress And Maid", "Hope Of Deliverance", "The Lovers That Never Were", "C'Mon People", "Golden Earth Girl" and "Cosmically Conscious".

On the other hand, DR has too many tracks (16!!) and only a few of them are rather good..."Heather", "I Do" and "Lonely Road" are the best ones. "About You" and "Your Loving Flame" aren't bad, but they couldn't save this piece of work. And no comments about "Spinning On An Axis", "She's Given Up Talking", "Tiny Bubble" and "Magic", for instance.