BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Oct 26, 2011, 04:40 PM   #61
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
I dont think George in the banana leaves was anything to do with the attack..he always used to do things like that..it was his way of running off and being with nature, and he was in hot tropical island! Quite common for the locals to do that!

That said i can totally understand what you mean, and think its pretty natural for one to do that aswell after a traumatic event..Maybe it is a primordial thing within us all, and again like George connecting back to the earth and Nature..We are all taught and brought up to be or act so civilised and proper - but there is this deeper and subconcious urge to get back to our roots and basics, the primitive hunter -gatherer mentality i guess..
There is a psychological term for it from the 60s. It's called Paradise Syndrome. Trekkies have learned all about it and I've experienced it.
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:30 PM   #62
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

As much as I loved the Beatle footage, I think that people who felt it was too much probably wanted more footage/material specific to George.

I found the Beatle parts a real treat.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:29 PM   #63
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

Finally just watched the first part. I would say overall it's just.... well, just ok. It didn't blow me away like the Anthology series did, or like the Imagine film from way back when. Some thoughts...

First of all, to anybody saying that it's got too much Beatles in it, I have a simple answer - without The Beatles, there would be no George. I truly believe that. I think he would have just ended up totally unknown to the world outside Liverpool. You can't have a movie about Harrison's life without devoting a huge chunk of it to the band.

There are a bunch of great pics that we've never seen of course, but the one that really stood out was when Clapton first talks, it's a dark pic of all four of them lighting up cigs, which lights up their faces. That's gotta be one of the coolest pictures ever taken of them. Has that ever been around before?

I was a little - no, way more than a little - disappointed that Lennon is almost entirely silent. I think there's more footage of Yoko talking than there is of John. I don't even think there was one word out of him until like 45 minutes into it, and even then it was just a clip from a press conference. Unless I missed something, I remember only 2 other clips of him talking, nothing along the lines of Paul or Ringo.

I liked how Ringo said he quit the band in 1967 while recording the White Album. That could have easily been fixed with an edit, but I bet it was left in there on purpose. I mean, no way did that get past everybody by mistake.

Near the very end, there's about a minute of b&w footage, and I have no idea what it's from. It looks like it's in a museum or train station or at a fashion show or something. Anybody?

Also, a lot of you mentioned how you liked the Anthology outtakes. Are you talking about interview clips? Or actual music? I heard a nice outtake of Don't Bother Me, which has been available for awhile, but I don't remember hearing anything else.

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 09:39 AM   #64
beatlebangs1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
First of all, to anybody saying that it's got too much Beatles in it, I have a simple answer - without The Beatles, there would be no George. I truly believe that. I think he would have just ended up totally unknown to the world outside Liverpool. You can't have a movie about Harrison's life without devoting a huge chunk of it to the band.

There are a bunch of great pics that we've never seen of course, Also, a lot of you mentioned how you liked the Anthology outtakes. Are you talking about interview clips? Or actual music? I heard a nice outtake of Don't Bother Me, which has been available for awhile, but I don't remember hearing anything else.
Well said, Jerry. I had a bit of a smile and a giggle at the outtake of George's very first composition.

The book as well as the video has some AMAZING pictures, many of which we have never seen, such as Louise and Harold Sr. in the late 1940s with a band behind them while they were at a dance. Then there was tween George, approx. 10-11 and his Harold Sr. lookalike brother, Peter. Oh, and Lil George on May 7, 1945, V-E day at the Coronation Street Party in the arms of his loving sister while Peter (little Harold Sr.) and Harold Jr. look on with smiles. George refers to that picture in Anthology. George, approx. 11 sunning himself in a bathing suit with Peter and Harold Sr. (Peter looked almost JUST like Harold Sr.!) with some Harrison family friends. And wait - copies of letters and post cards George sent to various family members - just the most delightful information included.

And I felt the same way all along - for me there can NEVER be "too much Beatles" and without the Beatles, the world would have been deprived of George and his invaluable input.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Oct 28, 2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:36 AM   #65
larainefan
Little Child

That little girl sunning with the Harrison family looks like she might be Jennifer Brewer, one of George's first girlfriends. That's who I immediately thought she could be. She favors a picture I've seen of the two of them together.
larainefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2011, 06:35 AM   #66
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
About Eric Clapton... I noticed he had a Chagall book behind him on the shelf. George loved Chagall, and I wondered if maybe that was another common interest between them.
I noticed that too!! I was wondering if George even gave him that book!!!

"take me to the river, drop me in the water..."
- David Byrne
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2011, 06:41 AM   #67
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Finally just watched the first part. I would say overall it's just.... well, just ok. It didn't blow me away like the Anthology series did, or like the Imagine film from way back when. Some thoughts...

There are a bunch of great pics that we've never seen of course, but the one that really stood out was when Clapton first talks, it's a dark pic of all four of them lighting up cigs, which lights up their faces. That's gotta be one of the coolest pictures ever taken of them. Has that ever been around before?

I was a little - no, way more than a little - disappointed that Lennon is almost entirely silent. I think there's more footage of Yoko talking than there is of John. I don't even think there was one word out of him until like 45 minutes into it, and even then it was just a clip from a press conference. Unless I missed something, I remember only 2 other clips of him talking, nothing along the lines of Paul or Ringo.

I liked how Ringo said he quit the band in 1967 while recording the White Album. That could have easily been fixed with an edit, but I bet it was left in there on purpose. I mean, no way did that get past everybody by mistake.

Near the very end, there's about a minute of b&w footage, and I have no idea what it's from. It looks like it's in a museum or train station or at a fashion show or something. Anybody?

Also, a lot of you mentioned how you liked the Anthology outtakes. Are you talking about interview clips? Or actual music? I heard a nice outtake of Don't Bother Me, which has been available for awhile, but I don't remember hearing anything else.
Fair point about no Beatles, no George out of Liverpool, but the same would probably apply then to Lennon and McCartney also :P

The "Anthology" outtakes people refer to are the never before seen George interviews/outakes from the series..i find them alot more candid than some of what was included in Anthology , for instance about Aunt Mimi etc

Part 2 gets way, way better!

- David Byrne
Old Oct 29, 2011, 06:47 AM   #68
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
You bring up an excellent point with Phil Spector... I don't think anyone has mentioned him yet here? His interviews were so enjoyable. I really giggled when he said how the Krishna's could be a "real pain in the neck" or something... the way he said it made me laugh. He was kinda sweet and funny in his remarks about George.
Phil is great - so glad he was prominently featured! He is contary to popular belief HILARIOUS and is actually very coherant and has one of the more sharp memories of the interviewees, surprisingly enough

I'd recomend the BBC doco "the Agony and the Ecstacy: Phil Spector" which features in depth interviews with Phil from the last few years..again hes completly coherant and surprisingly together, and very funny..alot of it deals with "that trial". Unfortunatly its never been given a DVD release and is hard to get, definetly worth tracking down tho! I've got a Bootleg of it in amazing quality, screened on the BBC and at some film festivals..

- David Byrne
Old Oct 30, 2011, 06:13 AM   #69
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

Well it appears to be mostly quite good. I hope I get a chance to see it at some point as I dont have HBO

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2011, 07:56 AM   #70
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

For better or worse, the movie is readily available on YouTube now. Videos probably get taken down all the time, or you might have to watch it in 10 parts or more. But you'll find it eventually.

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 05:14 AM   #71
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I hadnt thought of that! That's a good idea

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:48 AM   #72
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

I kind of agree with Jerry, it was "ok". I was surprised how few moments in it that I sat up and said "Oh wow, this is SO COOL!"...there were a few, the interviews with his brothers, some photos I hadn't seen before, a couple of Olivia's and/or Dhani's recollections, a funny bit or two from Paul and/or Ringo...but not as many as I'd hoped. I really did enjoy it, but I guess it left me wanting...more? Something different? I'm not sure, I just was expecting to be a little more blown away by it instead of thinking "Well, that was nice."
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:53 AM   #73
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
It is his artistic impression of George, which was wonderful. But it is not a definitive George Harrison doc.

It winds up feeling more like random people discussing what they love about George, and how he impacted their lives. That is hugely special, just not what I expected.
Yes, this. Exactly.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:15 PM   #74
beatlebangs1964

I liked the parts that had Harrison/French family members most of all and people who really knew George well.

The picture of George sunning himself - he looked young for dating Jennifer Brewer in those days. I don't know who the girl is - she might be a neighbor or a cousin or some other relative.

Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:11 PM   #75
larainefan
Little Child

http://photos.lucywho.com/george-har...c13472715.html

Yeah, 'dated' might not be the right word, but she apparently was one of his first little girlfriends, that is her with George in the link above.
larainefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 02:03 PM   #76
beatlebangs1964

George was about 12-13 there. Jennifer's grandchild posted on a George video on YouTube, but I forgot which one. Darn!

Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:10 AM   #77
TheEggman
Nowhere Man

There's some surprsing things in it. I've never seen AStrid being interviewd before and the clips with John and George on the FRost show in 67 are rare too. I've always wanted to see that but didn't think it existed 'cause the bbc used to delete old shows back then to free up tape!
TheEggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:47 PM   #78
oldbeatlechick
Sun King

I watched the film and enjoyed every minute, it is very well made and well balanced in my opinion.

“We didn't all get into music for a job! We got into music to avoid a job, in truth - and get lots of girls.”
Paul McCartney
oldbeatlechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:07 PM   #79
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Bit surprised by some of the comments for as much as we all like to think we've seen everything, and alot of us have, there is a whole stackload of never before seen footage in it..the footage of Paul and George signing legal papers at Apple in the 70's, George in about 76 watching (and commenting) on This Boy, Georges own private movies (much more on the special features) His own personal interviews with michael Kamen, Billy Connolly, his wife and Ravi at Friar park - for me this lets us into his world, behind his camera..

there is so, so much, his final ever TV interview in 2001, footage of him discussing his throat cancer scare with a journalist outside Friar park in 98. ATMP 200 outtakes, threetles funny moments..what more could people want?

Olivia/Astrid/Klaus all opening up about things never talked about publically before and Ringo, Keltner and Olivia all talking about his last moments

Phil Spector and Mukunda Goswami were all real (and rare) treats to hear from aswell

Don't know exactly what people were expecting but to me this film captures the real essence of George..this film is the real deal..

- David Byrne
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:09 PM   #80
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Has also been getting rave 5 star reviews from respected music mags like MOJO etc which are not easy to come by..

- David Byrne