BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Paperback Writer

Old Apr 11, 2003, 04:08 AM   #1
Guitar Devil
Apple Scruff

Default Many years from now

Anyone read this book about Paul? Is it good and true to it's source? I just picked it up at the library and I thought I'd give it a read. Any opinions?
Guitar Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2003, 04:38 AM   #2
L'Angelo Misterioso
Bulldog

Default Re: Many years from now

It is a good book but you have to remember that it's a so called "offical biography" so I believe that Paul has read the manuscript carefully before it's published. I mean it's giving very good and positive image of him. I would like to have read the manuscript too. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

But anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy reading it. At least I did. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
L'Angelo Misterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2003, 04:56 AM   #3
Guitar Devil
Apple Scruff

Good, and if Paul decided it was alright, it should be, right? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
I just didn't want to jump into any fiction here.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 06:03 AM   #4
L'Angelo Misterioso
Bulldog

You got my point. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
L'Angelo Misterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2003, 06:08 AM   #5
pepperland67
Dr. Robert

I thought it was an excellent book..it kept my attention the entire way through.
pepperland67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2003, 11:06 AM   #6
Guitar Devil
Apple Scruff

I've gotten to the part in the beginning where Paul told about hanging dead frogs up on some barb wire of somekind, practising killing things (for the army).
I found that very funny. [img]graemlins/frog.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]
Old Apr 11, 2003, 11:10 AM   #7
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

I thought it was a good book and although yes, it was an "official" bio and as such is supposed to make him look good, it wasn't as toned down, cleaned up and sanitized as I expected it to be. I must admit to having gotten distracted about 1/2 way through it (not that it was bad, my life just got busy) and never finishing it. Hmmmm...maybe that's something to go back to soon! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2003, 11:48 AM   #8
Magill
Sun King

Rell!! You outta be ashamed of yourself! j/k!! [img]graemlins/laugh5.gif[/img]
Magill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2003, 03:25 PM   #9
Darkaardvark
Day Tripper

I'm reading it for a report (it's a sort of ooptional one though, we can do it on whatever we want..so what do you think I chose?) And it's pretty good. I was a little worried that it might not be accurate or whatnot since there are so many books out there that aren't but now I feel better.

Thanks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Darkaardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2003, 03:41 PM   #10
Sgt.McCartney
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to Sgt.McCartney

It's a good book.
Sgt.McCartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2003, 04:49 PM   #11
beatlelover45223

I love the book, have read it 3 times now, I had to get my own copy, I love the song writing & composer history, plus lots of details of the times & places associated with the songs by one of the genius' Lennon & McCartney...seems true to other things I have read too... [img]graemlins/music1.gif[/img]
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2003, 04:54 PM   #12

Barry Miles, the author, is a friend of Paul's and has been forever, so don't expect anything critical......I swear, i'm not making this up, but I read recently where Paul said he had some regrets about this book and perhaps it was not what he should have done....It did not elaborate at all why he said this and I'm not going to guess... I was not happy at all with the book and thought it was a bit of Lennon bashing... for one thing, there is quite a bit about Paul talking about John's "How do you sleep?" but it comes up out of the blue, as if Paul did nothing to spur it, which is not true, because Paul had written a nasty little number called "Too Many People" which caused John to write "How do you Sleep?" But since "Too many people" is not even mentioned, it is made to appear as if John's song was made out of just being jealous and petty... so you see, the book is not objective at all.

But while I'm at it, for God's sake, DO NOT READ anything by Geoffrey Giuliano- his books on John (Lennon in America) and McCartney (Blackbird) are the worst pieces of scholarship and writing I have ever seen and I have 2000 books in my personal library. It's not even fun garbage. And it's ridiculous, to boot. At one point, Giuliano says that John masturbated and fantasized about women, among them rising star Madonna. Madonna's first single was not even played in clubs until 1982, two years after Lennon was dead!

It's the sloppiest book I've ever read.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 04:56 PM   #13
Nerk Sister
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted By Rellevart:
I must admit to having gotten distracted about 1/2 way through it (not that it was bad, my life just got busy) and never finishing it. Hmmmm...maybe that's something to go back to soon! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">You absolutely must finish reading it before doing anything else - that's an order!

Seriously, its a great book. I do think Barry Miles got carried away a bit with going into so much detail into the avant-garde world and every artist Paul ever met, but there are so many excellent parts in the book to make up for that. I especially love the Paul and Linda romance part and the descriptions of Paul hanging out in New York with her. My only complaint is that I would have liked to have seen a second volume focusing on his life after the Beatles.
Nerk Sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2003, 08:08 PM   #14
Guitar Devil
Apple Scruff

Thanks for all the comments, so far I'm really enjoying it. Paul just talked about spending the afternoons at Menlove ave. in John's room, a very nice sweet little piece.
*I read it in the bath* (:
Old Apr 14, 2003, 03:47 PM   #15

There is an interesting story in that where paul says the first time he took LSD, he saw Lennon as the emperor of eternity sitting on a throne. i think that's cool...i was in a store the other day and "yesterday" was playing... paul has the most beautiful voice, don't you think? lennon's voice might have more character to it, but paul has a very pure voice- they are both great singers- although people might think lennon had more character to his voice because he usually sang about himself- paul sang about others- but both are really good.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 01:12 PM   #16
sleepybomb
Nowhere Man

i just got this book today from amazon, (i love it when the doorbell rings, just like xmas!), and altho i have seen that it is not too friendly on john, i just had to have, (collecting beatles is like a living thing; it just keeps on growing). being as barry miles wrote it i figured it would be worth the $15. i have a few other books by miles, (of which 'diary' is prob the best), so this can't be all too bad. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted By heir:
But while I'm at it, for God's sake, DO NOT READ anything by Geoffrey Giuliano- his books on John (Lennon in America) and McCartney (Blackbird) are the worst pieces of scholarship and writing I have ever seen and I have 2000 books in my personal library. It's not even fun garbage. And it's ridiculous, to boot. At one point, Giuliano says that John masturbated and fantasized about women, among them rising star Madonna. Madonna's first single was not even played in clubs until 1982, two years after Lennon was dead!

It's the sloppiest book I've ever read.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">as far as this clown goes i will never, ever plop down a penny for anything with this charlatan's name associated w/ it! his books suck and are totally inaccurate, his videos are just him walking around talking about things that any fan would know like gospel, and the interview cds are chopped up soundbytes tossed together with nosense of continuity! how did he get this job? if he were a woman i would say he slept w/ someone, but he is too dang ugly to go there. . . jeesh, stay away from his stuff AT ALL COST!
sleepybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2003, 06:05 PM   #17

I read this again last night and found it shameful. I'm not trying to make anyone upset, though I know some will be, but this is my honest opinion of it, which I actually wrote as a real review. If you disagree, please try to be specific and cite where and why I am wrong. Thanks.
-----
This book is a petty and shameless result of the Lennon/McCartney war that has emerged since John’s death. Written during a time when Lennon had been elected to the Rock-n-Roll hall of fame and McCartney hadn’t- (a terrible slight that would be fixed by his 1999 inclusion) - it is no wonder that McCartney was feeling maligned. To be fair, McCartney was most likely suckered into this propaganda piece by the author (or more correctly co-writer) by Barry Miles, a friend and supposed authority on the Beatles who slurs John more than needed, and who does Paul no favors by writing facts that are plainly wrong. But in the end, Paul, who has huge blocks of quotes that make up a large portion of the book, will have to answer for this misstep. I have read where Paul has said he has regrets on this book. Why, he does not say, so let’s take a look at it.

In the intro, it reads "(Paul) did his own experiments in the field of tape loops and film superimpositions, which found their way into the Beatles work but are usually attributed to John. Because he did not publicize it, this is a little known side of Paul and one that this book hopes to reveal." Here suggests the true purpose of the book, and the grave error it commits, instead of concentrating on adding to McCartney, too much of the book is spent on a thorough put-down of John and his whole character, revealing a bitterness that sets the entire tone and wipes out all objectivity. The author resorts to base name-calling, referring to Lennon as jealous, lazy, drug-addicted, uncreative, unmotivated, nearly always in the negative which is not needed. Does McCartney and Miles really think Lennon’s reputation rests on tape loops? It’s amazing that McCartney has such low self-esteem that he falls into this trap and allows Miles his vindictive pen.

Let’s look at specifics at how Miles omits Lennon’s contributions to bolster Paul. At the bottom of p. 202., Miles writes in a parenthesis, (Incidentally, the record with the second most plays is Michelle, also by Paul without the other Beatles.) On p. 586, Miles writes, "John never got over the fact that the two biggest Beatles songs, "Yesterday" and "Michelle," were solo efforts by Paul on which John did not even play. This is just nastiness, as well as completely incorrect. First off, the Beatles did play on "Michelle," and John helped Paul write the song, supplying the middle eight, which is even talked about in the book! The only reasons to say such things is to malign John. It’s so sad and says a lot about McCartney’s state of mind that he did not object to this.

Although the huge block of quotes used from Paul no doubt would seem to distance himself from the petty prose of the author, Paul has problems as well. On Page 175, Paul talks about "I don’t Want to Spoil the Party," a co-written effort from him and John written for Ringo, "which Ringo did a good job on." Considering Ringo wouldn’t sing it so John sang lead on it instead, it appears Paul’s memory is a little fuzzy. His memory of John’s contributions to his songs seem to have suffered the biggest impairment. Paul complained about John saying "Ticket to Ride" was his song, responding on p. 193 with "John just didn’t take the time to explain that we sat down together and worked on that song for a full three-hour songwriting session, and at the end of it we had all the words, we had the harmonies, and we had all the bits." But throughout the whole book, Paul seems to do the exact same thing to John, making it appear as if these sessions were mostly on John’s songs and not on his own. I noticed that when referring to the creation of John’s songs, there was a lot of WE, but when it came to his, it transformed into I. Of course, being the PR man of the group, this could be a natural result of that, but still, it leaves a skewed impression when reading about contributions.

I also did not like this quote on page 278. Paul: "I find it very gratifying that out of everything we wrote, we only appear to disagree over two songs." This is deceptive because Lennon never got the chance to hear Paul talk about his contributions to John’s songs, so no, this is not true. Paul claims a much bigger role than John talked about in songs like "This Boy," "Rain," "Ticket to Ride," "Girl," "Yes, It Is," meanwhile omitting references to John that implied he may have helped with like "Can’t Buy Me Love," among others- those sessions seem to swing only one way. On page 420, Paul writes about writing "I Will" in India, saying "I kept searching for better words and I wrote my own set in the end; very simple words, straight love-song words really. I think they’re quite effective." Now, in the GET BACK transcripts summary released in the late 90’s, a conversation is written about where Paul talks about how Yoko kept quiet during the "White Album" sessions while he and John struggled to write the lyrics to "I Will." Without that, you would not know Lennon helped with it at all. And that’s what I’m trying to say, Lennon’s help is downplayed or omitted in Paul’s songs while Paul’s help in John’s are played up. That’s why none of this can be trusted.

This book’s purpose is devoid of wanting to tell "the real stories." Case in point is John’s "How do You Sleep?" on his Imagine albums. The subject at the end comes up out of the blue, which is where Miles wants it because he does not want to include what led up to it. On Page 154, it reads "John’s differences with Paul were more public, particularly after john’s vitriolic attack on him in "How do you Sleep?" on the IMAGINE album. This track, which has been the subject of much comment and scrutiny, was later repudiated by John but at the time it was the cause of great hurt to Paul, who had no wish to launch a counter-attack and get into a slinging match with him." This totally OMITS all reference to the fact that Paul was the one who started the song-slinging in his RAM album before IMAGINE and John was merely reacting to something that Paul began, only he did it in a much more direct manner. On RAM, Paul even had a picture of a Beatle sexually fornicating another Beatle. On "Too Many People," the chorus went:

That was your first mistake
You took your lucky break
and broke it in two
now what will be done for you

And it’s sung in a nasty manner, too., as well as referring to too any people going "underground," and "preaching practices." Also, in "Backseat of My Car" there is the epic chanting of "We believe we can’t be wrong!!" The Lennons were NOT HAPPY with this. Of course, in this book, that is omitted to make it look like John’s song came out of the blue, and in an even worse slur, implies the song might have been done because John was jealous that Paul wrote "Yesterday!!" This book is a shameless effort to put John down and not tell the real story.

Many of what Miles says is unnecessarily mean. He talks of John’s "soporific heroin gaze" On John’s tune, "What’s the New Mary Jane," he says "It is a discordant meandering tune that goes nowhere but probably sounds good if you are very high." These put-downs are highly uncalled-for and only serve to malign John. Paul says the book is not meant to take anything away from John, but what other purpose do these needless remarks serve? On Page 562, Miles writes "After Brian’s death, Paul tried to revitalize the group but John had lapsed into a state of lethargy. He had always been lazy, but now he spent virtually his whole time sitting around watching television, reading the papers, smoking pot or tripping." As if Paul McCartney wasn’t sitting around smoking pot. The only difference was that John did it in his room.
On Page 563, Miles writes "The problem came because John’s productivity fell off dramatically at a time when Paul was building towards his artistic and commercial peak." This is highly offensive and untrue. The quantity of John’s work fell, but the quality of his work was actually improving. I don’t see how "Strawberry Fields Forever, " Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," his portion of "A Day In the Life," "All You Need is Love," and "I am the Walrus" can be called a dramatic decline. Can you? Paul should be ashamed to have his name associated with such remarks. How can Paul possibly say this book is not about taking anything away from John. John’s dignity is being ripped to shreds.

Linda actually comes off well here, the things she says are all positive, smart enough not to fall for the trap and get involved. This book serves neither Paul nor John. It is better left on the shelf. I can save you some money and time by telling you all you need to know from this book so you can move on and forget it. Paul DID THE TAPE LOOPS!!!