BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Closed Thread

Old Jul 06, 2005, 01:59 AM   #141
Sally
Sgt. Pepper

Nice to see they were all focused on what the gig what about, selfish gits.

Bet George wouldn't have been like that.
Old Jul 06, 2005, 04:37 AM   #142
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loka
I hoped he would play some songs that were more rich in substance, I thought of "Come on People " I loooove this one! Itīs so expressive! Why doesnīt he play this one, it fits perfectly as an ending song.
I also hoped he would proove that he had more to say than "Nanananaaaaahhhh...."
Problem with doing a song like "Come on People" (or anything obscure like that) is that for every person like you or I who would like to hear it, you'd have 1,000 people at the actual show going "What IS this crap? I don't know this? Where's the porta-potty?" It's almost more important to do things that get a crowd feeling/crowd vibe going rather than pick things with "deep, meaningful lyrics" which, quite frankly, at an event like this, nobody's going to take the time to pay attention to anyway, particularly if it's a song they've never heard before.

As far as all the ego stories, yeah, yeah, whatever. Tabloids can print whatever they want about whoever they want, but unless I read it in some reliable news source, I figure it's all about selling papers and trying to rake up as much muck as possible to that end. Probably some grain of truth in it, but honestly, people wouldn't get to be as famous as those people unless they had a big ego and a lot of confidence in themselves. Anybody expecting such people to not have SOME kind of a diva streak is probably going to be dissillusioned. The point is that they gave of their time to raise awareness and I think that's what should be focused on rather than if somebody was copping an attitude backstage. Media just likes to focus on the most negative aspects of a situation rather than the positives.
Old Jul 06, 2005, 05:25 AM   #143
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
The point is that they gave of their time to raise awareness and I think that's what should be focused on rather than if somebody was copping an attitude backstage. Media just likes to focus on the most negative aspects of a situation rather than the positives.
Absolutly,the cause is what matters the most. Paul isn't the only one with a big ego, but is it really important to know who demanded what and what went on backstage.
I rather focuss on the great performances on stage, and I enjoyed most of these.
Old Jul 06, 2005, 05:28 AM   #144
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs
Absolutly,the cause is what matters the most. Paul isn't the only one with a big ego, but is it really important to know who demanded what and what went on backstage.
I rather focuss on the great performances on stage, and I enjoyed most of these.
I agree but it's disappionting if its true all the same. They preach peace and love and whatever else to the camera and backstage all they care about is the size of their dressing room. Losers!
Old Jul 06, 2005, 05:31 AM   #145
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmerman The Gnome
They preach peace and love and whatever else to the camera and backstage all they care about is the size of their dressing room. Losers!
I bet some of them do yes. But that isn't something new, and to me really not that important.But still we don't know everything for sure what goes on backstage, so I decide rather not to focus on or speculate about these kind of things.

I much rather hear about what people thought of Paul's performance.

Last edited by Legs : Jul 06, 2005 at 05:35 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2005, 05:57 AM   #146
Rellevart

I almost think it's a little self-righteous to get on their cases about mixing care for the cause with self-interest backstage. How many of us don't balance those kinds of things every day? I don't think I know anybody who's completely selfless and lives completely for others and has no ego of their own. (I don't even think I'd WANT to know him/her, he/she would make me feel like a totally horrible person! LOL!) We all have to balance doing things for others with our own self-interest.

As far as the performance, I've still only seen the crappy MTV/VH1 clips and in those, I thought Paul sounded spotty...on "Drive My Car", I thought he sounded really strong, but "Get Back" was just a wee bit too high for his voice. I know he really doesn't like to take things down from their original keys, but it might be time to do so on some of those songs, I think.
Old Jul 06, 2005, 06:05 AM   #147
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart
I almost think it's a little self-righteous to get on their cases about mixing care for the cause with self-interest backstage. How many of us don't balance those kinds of things every day? I don't think I know anybody who's completely selfless and lives completely for others and has no ego of their own. (I don't even think I'd WANT to know him/her, he/she would make me feel like a totally horrible person! LOL!) We all have to balance doing things for others with our own self-interest.

Very good point Rell. However, I also feel this 'attitude' is becoming common practice in everyday life. It is a politcal bomb. But that is a whole other topic.

I wish I could see some of this performance.

Last edited by sourmilkpinky : Jul 06, 2005 at 06:05 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2005, 06:29 AM   #148
Rellevart

Something I found interesting is that on a musician's board I'm on, somebody who worked the event wrote the following..."McCartney's band told me early on that he was cool if the show went long - they could cut his set short and he wouldn't mind."
Old Jul 06, 2005, 08:22 AM   #149
saziontherun
Mr. Moonlight

Ooooh, you lucky people got to see and hear interviews??
For a while I even thought I was the loser cos they kept showing Berlin so often, and all I wanted was London... (and a bit of Philly - hmmmm, Kaiser Chiefs!)

I even saw Helter Skelter but had already seen it on TV a week earlier- they'd announced to show the concert from the Red Square - but what we got to see was the bonus material from St. Petersburg...

Anyway, not being the biggest U2-fan of all times, I still enjoyed their performance pretty much. And I felt relieved that not Bono and Paul were wearing the Sgt. Pepper outfits but the four guys playing the trumpets.

Loka, if those reports are true... *sigh*

But all in all I enjoyed the whole show very much.
Pretty cool gig, Bob!

sazi
(who actually knows somebody who had his name legally changed from "Colin" to "Colin Bono" years ago )
Old Jul 06, 2005, 08:54 AM   #150
LetterB
Nowhere Man

Send a message via AIM to LetterB
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinluv182
Aaaaaand once again, proof positive that I should be living in England instead of here. ;)
I disagree, i like you living in the states a whole lot!

"Has this world been so kind to you that you should leave with regret? There are better things ahead than any we leave behind." C.S. Lewis

"Broooup Brroooouup" Boga-Star Wars ROTS
Old Jul 06, 2005, 09:24 AM   #151
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

Georgiegirl originally posted this in a new thread which was closed since we're already talkin Live8 here, but she posted this article which I thought was really good, and I didn't want to see it get lost without y'all havin the chance to read it.

Sometimes it helps to get emotional'
(Filed: 30/06/2005) Sir Paul McCartney on the power of music to carry simple, life-changing ideas

I will be opening Live8 in Hyde Park with a little Irish band you may have heard of called U2, singing Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. It was suggested to me by Bob and Bono, the mad Irish boys (God bless 'em) that it would be a good kick-off for the whole occasion. "It was 20 years ago today…" And it will be 20 years, almost to the day, that we all gathered together for Live Aid, and closed the show with Wembley Stadium singing another Beatles song, Let It Be. It was a day that had huge impact, a landmark in our history, and I was very proud to be involved.

I seem to recall that at Live Aid I was being referred to as an "elder statesman", so what does that make me now? I feel like an ex-president of rock and roll. I will be playing a set with my band and closing the show with another old favourite, The Long and Winding Road, with a film by Richard Curtis about Africa's long walk to justice. And, of course, I'm honoured that they would want my songs for such a noble cause, but that is the power of the Beatles.

Every day I get people of all ages, from all walks of life, coming up to say, "Thank you for the music, it's made a difference in my life." What we did in the Beatles really overtook us and our intentions. Something mighty has happened, way beyond anything we set out to do. I think the same thing is happening with Live8 now. The idea is overtaking us.

In some ways Live8 is carrying on the idealism that became part of music in the Sixties. When we started, we all thought that we were just doing it to earn a bob and pull the birds, and it turned out to be much more than that. Music and politics began to fuse because, on an idealistic level, we are talking about the same things, peace, love and fairness.

In the Beatles, we would speak out because that was our nature. We were thinking people, we had opinions, and we started to realise we weren't the only people who held these opinions. We always used to say "These are not our ideas, these are our generation's ideas." We had the platform. We could give voice to them. And that is a very interesting phenomenon.

I look at G8 and I see world leaders but I can also look at the bill of Live8 and see world leaders, in a completely different sense. Political leaders talk about "hearts and minds" but that is also what music deals with. We Shall Overcome during the civil rights struggle. Give Peace a Chance during the Vietnam war. These anthems become very important.

Music can carry simple, powerful ideas but it also allows emotion into the idea. And it helps sometimes to get a bit emotional about things. Politicians may try to remain detached and objective, perhaps they have to be, but the rest of us can look at this and say "Imagine a kid being born today into debt that it cannot get out of." Imagine that. Now what are we going to do about it?

I called Bob a few weeks ago because I heard he wanted to speak to me, and I had an idea what it might be about. And I talked to him, as I had the first time, about my worries. In 1985, my big worry had been corruption, aid arriving on the dock side and immediately being trundled off into government Land Rovers and never seen again. But Bob said: "We're going down there and we are going to give it out." And he did his utmost to make sure it got there, which was a great thing.

So this time I said, "What's the story, Bob? Your own words were 'Charity fatigue'." And he explained it very articulately, very forcefully, as he does anyway, even if he's just asking you out to dinner. I said: "Bob, you're mad. But if anyone can pull it off, you can." That's the way I feel. I mean mad in a great way, a fine and fabulous madness.

This is not a fund-raiser. It is not about the money. It's a consciousness-raiser. It's about speaking out on behalf of African people being born this very moment into eternal debt. There is no way they can get out of it on their own. All we are trying to do is get that debt excused. It's a little amount to us, but everything to them. So the musicians are just being spokespeople once again.

This is something people have been lobbying for for a long time and we want governments to get behind the idea, moved hopefully by the will of the people. And it does seem to be catching fire.

I am really excited to be doing Live8. It's a moment that could change the world and here we are, taking a breath, before it happens. This is a great point to be at, just about to walk through the door. This could be the greatest gig of all our lives."

I just thought it was a really awesome article, and he said so many great things.

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
Old Jul 07, 2005, 04:19 AM   #152
Loka
Nowhere Man

I agree, that was a cool article. Nice words. And of course they all raised awareness with their fame, and it was not only him who enjoyed this awareness being raised onto himself too(I personally am tired of ignoring all the negative articles ībout him, as soon as it starts to sound negative, theyīre all going "Uuuhhhm, THIS canīt be true!" But they blindly believe in everything that butters him up, hm, strange )
But the article I quoted was like focussing only on the negative aspects, hasty adding the "Stella doesnīt like Heather"-things into it and all that...
Anyway, I watched the concert because of Travis and Coldplay and U2, I loooooved it and Paul didnīt dumb it down in any way.
Sally: GEORGE wouldnīt have given himself airs backstage, NEVER. I donīt know how to explain it, but it is Paul all over. Not meant to offend.
I wondered how John would judge about this, like all the time.
[IMG][/IMG]
Nice photo of Paulie with his Bass and the big God-like John on the screen in the back, like watching in silence. My daily newspaper printed that the next day, I liked it.
Noticed when they fetched the teleprompter for Paulies act?

Last edited by Loka : Jul 07, 2005 at 04:45 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2005, 08:32 AM   #153
Sally
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Sally: GEORGE wouldnīt have given himself airs backstage, NEVER. I donīt know how to explain it, but it is Paul all over.
I know, that is what I said.
Old Jul 07, 2005, 09:22 AM   #154
Rellevart

Quote:
(I personally am tired of ignoring all the negative articles ībout him, as soon as it starts to sound negative, theyīre all going "Uuuhhhm, THIS canīt be true!" But they blindly believe in everything that butters him up, hm, strange )
That's actually kind of hilarious, given the fact that it's apparently perfectly acceptable to blindly believe every negative article, no matter how questionable the source, and flame accordingly.
Old Jul 07, 2005, 01:41 PM   #155
Legs
Sun King

It's fine by me. If people just can't enjoy a great performance by Paul and rather focus on negative things like Stella didn't say hello to Heather, or Paul might have demanded the biggest dressing room of all, they must know it for themselves. I can't see how it make you feel good focussing on these unimportant stuff but that's not my problem.

Now if Paul had given a bad performance, he just came up and would burb all the way through the set. Or had played the worse stuff from McCartney II, sure I won't keep my mouth shut or just praise Paul because it's Paul.
We as fans can expect Paul to give his best on stage, but this focuss on what went on back, stage some of it true but most of it vague rumours.. I just don't get it.

Last edited by Legs : Jul 07, 2005 at 01:44 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2005, 04:42 PM   #156
marie
Fool On The Hill

Yes, negativity always makes more of an impression, doesn't it. The article about backstage egos was written by Nicole Lampert of the Daily Mail, so ... right. The Daily Mail. Do you really think The Daily Mail was allowed backstage? I don't. And, just as a side comment, has this trash paper ever said anything positive or even neutral about Paul? They seem to have it out for him.

I always have to ask the same question when Paul is described as being unbelievably big-headed by the press: would he have such good, loyal, long time friends if he were really that way? His friends, the people who know him, are often the ones saying positive things about him. And anyway, if you look at the pictures taken backstage, everyone seems to be getting along just fine. And the six-man entourage reported here seems to be missing.

Of course I'm just a bit biased, but apparently so is everyone else. What we believe caters to our biases, and I'm more inclined to think he wouldn't act as reported in this article (largely due to its being written by the Daily Mail). It's just unfortunate that what's falsely represented in the press -- whether the report is good or bad -- inevitably influences our opinions of people like Paul. With the press being the middle-man who relays information between celebrities and ourselves we can never be certain about the truth. I certainly don't trust the Daily Mail to give it to me straight. Even if it were straight, can written words reveal intentions? I always feel the need to reserve judgment; second and third person reporting, more than likely, will not be the most accurate thing you'll ever read, especially when the need to sell papers is involved.

Anyway, I thought the show was great, despite the frustrating television coverage. (Thanks, AOL!)

Last edited by marie : Jul 08, 2005 at 11:15 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2005, 06:42 PM   #157
matt5
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie
Yes, negativity always makes more of an impression, doesn't it. The article about backstage egos was written by Nicole Lampert of the Daily Mail, so ... right. The Daily Mail. Do you really think The Daily Mail was allowed backstage? I don't. And, just as a side comment, has this trash paper ever said anything positive or even neutral about Paul? They seem to have it out for him.

I always have to ask the same question when Paul is described as being unbelievably big-headed by the press: would he have such good, loyal, long time friends if he were really that way? His friends, the people who know him, are often the ones saying positive things about him. And anyway, if you look at the pictures taken backstage, everyone seems to be getting along just fine. And the six-man entourage reported here seems to be missing.

Of course I'm just a bit biased, but apparently so is everyone else. What we believe caters to our biases, and I'm more inclined to think he wouldn't act as reported in this article (largely due to its being written by the Daily Mail). It's just unfortunate that what's falsely represented in the press -- whether the report is good or bad -- inevitably influences our opinions of people like Paul. With the press being the middle-man who relays information between celebrities and ourselves we can never be certain about the truth. I certainly don't trust the Daily Mail to give it to me straight. Even if it were straight, can written words reveal intentions? I always feel the need to reserve judgment; second and third person reporting, more than likely, will not be the most accurate thing you'll ever read, especially when the need to sell papers is involved.

Anyway, I thought the show was great, despite the frustrating television coverage. (Thanks, AOL!)
Great post!
make a country dream come true
Closed Thread