BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Closed Thread

Old Jun 28, 2005, 08:47 AM   #1
Cecilia
Old Brown Shoe

Default Sir Paul McCartney is to headline Live 8

June 28, 2005 -- Ananova

Sir Paul McCartney is to headline Live 8.

The former Beatle reportedly told organisers he wanted to open Saturday's Hyde Park concert and close it or he would 'think seriously' about taking part.

He will start the show with a version of "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" - reworded to honor the achievements of Bob Geldof - and finish eight hours later with "The Long and Winding Road."

For the opening performance he will share the stage U2 reports the Evening Standard quoting the Daily Mail.

A Live 8 source said, "Sir Paul's headline slot had ruffled a few feathers. Some of the more fragile egos are upset."

A spokesman for the star said, "Bob Geldof asked him if he would do it, and he is delighted to be taking part in such an important event."

Live 8 will take place on July 2.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 08:58 AM   #2
twovirgins
Sun King

go paul go

I hope he 'll play some rare songs
Old Jun 28, 2005, 09:26 AM   #3
Sally
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia
June 28, 2005 -- Ananova

The former Beatle reportedly told organisers he wanted to open Saturday's Hyde Park concert and close it or he would 'think seriously' about taking part.

He will start the show with a version of "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" - reworded to honor the achievements of Bob Geldof - and finish eight hours later with "The Long and Winding Road."

For the opening performance he will share the stage U2 reports the Evening Standard quoting the Daily Mail.

A Live 8 source said, "Sir Paul's headline slot had ruffled a few feathers. Some of the more fragile egos are upset."

A spokesman for the star said, "Bob Geldof asked him if he would do it, and he is delighted to be taking part in such an important event."

Live 8 will take place on July 2.
Sounds great but I wish he would choose another song to end with, something a bit more obscure, I hate to say it but that has got to be one of my least fave paul songs.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:34 AM   #4
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

He's not really going to pick an obscure song to finish on with millions of people watching worldwide. Long and Winding Road is a bit dull but people know it well.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:53 AM   #5
Lizzy
Nowhere Man

Send a message via MSN to Lizzy

Yes,I agree... In this kind of performance it must be some big,well-known song,though we Beatle-fans maybe wish something else...
Old Jun 28, 2005, 11:32 AM   #6
pattiboyd's slave
Sgt. Pepper

Thumbs up

[quote=Cecilia]June 28, 2005 -- Ananova

Nice to see Paul can still ruffle a few feathers. Always has cracked me up the fragility of some musicians egos, a sign of some insecurities. Way to go Sir Paul!
Old Jun 28, 2005, 01:02 PM   #7
ChrisG134
Sun King

I'm still more interested in hearing "Pink Floyd" than Paul.They haven't played together in 20 something yrs.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 05:15 PM   #8
MAXWELL EDISON
Rocky Raccoon

Lucky people will watch Sir PAul this Saturday. Hope he'll do it as in the old times. I Know he will. But he should close it with "The End". Suits perfectly! And Pink Floyd will be a major attraction! MOre than 20 years is like wine fellas!!
Old Jun 28, 2005, 06:54 PM   #9
One_Sweet_Dream
Taxman

I read that Paul and Bono will dress up in Sgt. Pepper outfits to sing the opening song. This is actually a little nauseating of a thought for me. It'll look ridiculous and Bono wasn't even in the Beatles. I wish Paul would sing a different song than the Long and Winding Road because that seems a little too pessimistic, but regardless, I'm extremely excited to see it on TV. My friend is going to be there with her mom and I'm so jealous.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 12:42 AM   #10
Loka
Nowhere Man

I think this is disgusting.
Why does he have to push himself into the front row so cheaply? Doesnīt sound like him at all. Remember "Let them know itīs Christmas" when he tried to talk them into believing they should let him sing AGAIN? When he said "Iīm not going to let younger artists take over this time around" or something? I felt so ashamed when I heard this. There are so many great singers on stage, everywhere around the world, and he seems to be scared of being pushed into the second row or something.
Whatīs wrong with you, Paulie?
And then this "Sgt. Pepper"-thing, just because the VERY FIRST and therefore ONLY line fits somehow. Then comes "...Sgt. Pepper told the band to play", hello, how dumb sounds that?!
And the same for "Long and Winding road", not because I hated that song ever since, but "...that leads to your door, will never disappear..." How embaressing will this concert seem to the G8-politicians, when a whole crowd of "The looooong and winding rooaaad..." singing people arrive in Edinburgh singing a love song.
Leave politics to the politicians, or at least talk to them on their level. Donīt misuse Beatlessongs just because the title fits.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 02:10 AM   #11
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loka
I think this is disgusting.
Why does he have to push himself into the front row so cheaply? Doesnīt sound like him at all. Remember "Let them know itīs Christmas" when he tried to talk them into believing they should let him sing AGAIN? When he said "Iīm not going to let younger artists take over this time around" or something? I felt so ashamed when I heard this. There are so many great singers on stage, everywhere around the world, and he seems to be scared of being pushed into the second row or something.
Whatīs wrong with you, Paulie?
Loka, I can see your point to an extent. Yes, he probably does believe he should be the centre of attraction in everything he does and I quite believe the situation with the the xmas song would have happened but who knows? I can imagine this winds people up but this is a global event and Paul is probably the most famous singer in the world and this should be used to help the cause.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 03:29 AM   #12
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Sweet_Dream
I read that Paul and Bono will dress up in Sgt. Pepper outfits to sing the opening song. This is actually a little nauseating of a thought for me.
I read that somewhere too, but so far only from a tabloid, so I'm not sure if I believe it. I really hope it's not true because that would be really tacky and I won't watch if they do it.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 03:48 AM   #13
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart
I read that somewhere too, but so far only from a tabloid, so I'm not sure if I believe it. I really hope it's not true because that would be really tacky and I won't watch if they do it.
That would be the most embarrassing thing in rock ever! Sgt Pepper was 40 years ago and Paul at 63 in a bright coloured costume would be awful! Saying that U2 wearing them would be the ultimate crime!
Old Jun 29, 2005, 07:39 AM   #14
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

I think Paul deserves to headline it! And the fact that he's opening with U2 is simply amazing. Now come on, peeps. Knowing what you know about U2, and what you know about Paul, do you really think this is going to be embarrassing? I think not. And Paul's entitled to sing whatever he wants. He's written very few overtly political songs, so why can't he just sing some fun ones that seem to fit? I think "Pepper" is a fine opening number, as it's a good rocker, and will get everyone riled up, not to mention that the "twenty years ago today" thing will be cool.

The line up looks so awesome for this show! I still can't get over it: Paul and Bono and the Edge on stage together?! Aaaaaaaa! And Pink Floyd? Aaaaaand once again, proof positive that I should be living in England instead of here. ;)

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 07:42 AM   #15
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinluv182
I think Paul deserves to headline it! And the fact that he's opening with U2 is simply amazing. Now come on, peeps. Knowing what you know about U2, and what you know about Paul, do you really think this is going to be embarrassing? I think not. And Paul's entitled to sing whatever he wants. He's written very few overtly political songs, so why can't he just sing some fun ones that seem to fit? I think "Pepper" is a fine opening number, as it's a good rocker, and will get everyone riled up, not to mention that the "twenty years ago today" thing will be cool.

The line up looks so awesome for this show! I still can't get over it: Paul and Bono and the Edge on stage together?! Aaaaaaaa! And Pink Floyd? Aaaaaand once again, proof positive that I should be living in England instead of here. ;)
Paul would never be embarrassing?
Did I dream him singing a love song with Michael Jackson and playing about with a little bear and singing with frogs? Must have.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 08:25 AM   #16
erinluv182
Taxman

Aight, Zimmerman, show me a little grace here! ;)

I meant in terms of this being a big show that obviously is very important, I don't think he would do something silly. I honestly enjoy "Say, Say, Say" (along with most of MJ's music from that time). And the cartoon stuff is fine, cause it's meant for kids. Can't blame the guy for wanting to reach out to kids. He really loves kids.

Old Jun 29, 2005, 08:30 AM   #17
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinluv182
Aight, Zimmerman, show me a little grace here! ;)

I meant in terms of this being a big show that obviously is very important, I don't think he would do something silly. I honestly enjoy "Say, Say, Say" (along with most of MJ's music from that time). And the cartoon stuff is fine, cause it's meant for kids. Can't blame the guy for wanting to reach out to kids. He really loves kids.
I like Say Say Say too. I was thinking of The Girl Is Mine...
Old Jun 29, 2005, 12:35 PM   #18
erinluv182
Taxman

Yea, you're right Zimmerman. That song is terrible. Thank goodness it was on Michael's album and not Paul's! ;)

Old Jun 29, 2005, 12:52 PM   #19
Lizzy
Nowhere Man

Send a message via MSN to Lizzy

I know this isnīt concerned with Paul,but it belongs to Live 8: They said in telly today that Madonna and Sting are going to sing Imagine... I guess you are more informed than me so please tell me itīs only a rumour!!!
Old Jun 29, 2005, 12:55 PM   #20
SandySunshine
Taxman

I hadn't heard that!!! But if their getting Paulie and U2 dressing up in Sgt. Pepper outfits, they're bound to have someone singing Imagine too!!! I know that Sting's gonna be changing the lyrics to "Every Breath You Take" to include the line, "WE'LL be watching you" in order to let the world leaders know that all the pop and rock stars will be watching their every move!!!

I do believe the Captain's trodden on my parrot!!!!!
Closed Thread