BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Mar 15, 2006, 08:41 PM   #241
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart
Yeah, me neither...that's what I've found puzzling about all of this, ABCKO...I haven't heard anybody who's been bashing Canada as a country at all, but that seems to be the crux of your arguments, that people will get a bad impression of your country. I think most people are smart enough not to condemn an entire country even if they don't approve of the practices of a few people in it.
... that was not the basis for ANY of my comments... not in the sense the two of you just expressed (that people will think Canada is a bad country, period, because we hunt seals).

I just mean that, especially as it's unjustified, pointing at us and saying ''Look at what the people there are doing to those poor baby seals ect...'' does not give a good or true image of Canada, or of it's seal hunting pratices !

Either Paul issues a general statement saying that he's agaisnt seal hunting, period, or he says: ''They do it in Canada, Norway, Russia'' (or whatever the other countries that do it are) and he goes to all those places to get his pic taken with the seals.

Someone said that he wore that Canada sweater during the Larry King thing to show that he still likes us ! Well, in that said ''context'' it also served as a reminder of which country was the one doing these ''despicable things'', and it again placed the emphasis on us, rather than on the seal hunt, why not a a shirt with the picture of a baby seal on it then ?

And at any rate, whatever Paul meant by wearing it, could I now go on Dutch televison and ''modify'' the facts regarding certain WW II events as to make it look like The Netherlands were on Hitler's side and get away with it because I am wearing a ''O love Holland tee-shirt'' ? At any rate, I found that two-faced on the part of Paul, wearing that to be ''nice'' to us while he is calling out our governement and saying those lies about the seal hunts at the same time.

But back to the posts I was reponding to:

It never seems ''personal'' or ''national pride'' related... when it's SOMEBODY ELSES country !

That lab company in Arizona that Paul is now zoning on... just suppose, for argument's sake, that they treated the test-animals humanely + used them only for crucial, life-saving, medical research ect... but that Paul and all his friends would still call for the lab to close, calling them butchers, deforming the facts and do the photo thing ect ? What would the american media and people reaction be ?

And don't tell me ''nothing'', just ask Susan Sarandon, Johnny Depp and so on how the media treated their anti-war statements about Iraq.

Well, some of us here are no less proud than any other country...
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:39 PM   #242
FPSHOT
Sun King

It is all very nice, this defending of Canada as a nation, but I dont believe it is an issue here at Links. This is about seals and Paul doing something about it....

Because .......

They were invited to go there !!!!!

So... they went...

Read the Larry King conversation, both Heather and Paul made it very clear, so to start pages about defending Canada and "Paul should do this..and Paul should do that" is all lovely but not an issue. At least, not to me.

Last edited by FPSHOT : Mar 15, 2006 at 09:40 PM.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:28 AM   #243
beatlelover45223

Thumbs up

well said FPSHOT....

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 08:46 AM   #244
walrus_mania67
Little Child

The point is, Paul is protesting because he believes its right so whether you agree with him or not, you shouldn't knock him for following his beliefs. As it happens, I do agree with him. I don't care what the arguments are FOR the seal hunt, nothing gives them the right to take life. It's murder. Also, Paul is using his fame to raise awareness for the issue. That's why you see him in all the photos and why it's in the news. Because he's famous. It's only the same thing that Lennon used to do, and I don't see anyone knocking him for it. The reason he doesn't go all round the world to all places where they hunt seals is because he doesn't have the time. He's a very busy guy y'know. The reason he went to Canada in particular is because this hunt is taking place in a couple of weeks time. He's just trying to raise awareness. It's admirable.

Last edited by walrus_mania67 : Mar 17, 2006 at 08:51 AM.
walrus_mania67 is offline   Reply With Quote