BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Dec 09, 2005, 11:51 AM   #1
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

Default LENNON'S MBE FOUND

LENNON'S MBE FOUND

December 8, 2005

AN MBE (The Member Of The British Empire) medal that John Lennon returned to the Queen has been found in a royal vault.

The Fab Four were invested in the Queen's Birthday Honours in 1965, after topping record charts around the world.

But John returned his medal in November, 1969.
In a letter accompanying the medal, Lennon wrote, "Your Majesty, I am returning my MBE as a protest against Britain's involvement in the Nigeria-Biafra thing, against our support of America in Vietnam and against COLD TURKEY slipping down the charts. With Love, John Lennon."

Now historians are calling for the medal, which was found in St James' Palace, to be put on public display.
Old Dec 09, 2005, 03:08 PM   #2
the family cat
Banned

THE MBE is only a token it didn't make any difference to the fact that Lennon was awarded the MBE ane would not be able to actually give up the status of it,same as the others who returned it at the time
the family cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 09:20 AM   #3
misslennon_909
Nowhere Man

Still I think it's cool to know it's still around. I love the note he sent with it.
misslennon_909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 06:13 PM   #4
Beatle_bug
Little Child

I love how informal the note is since it's going to the queen. very nice, John, very nice.
Beatle_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 08:25 AM   #5
misslennon_909
Nowhere Man

LOL, yes. As though he'd like the queen to take his song to the top of the charts.
misslennon_909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:06 AM   #6
Dr. Dreamer
Mr. Moonlight

That note carries a heavier, more poignant reference to the time it was written than just a lark. And though it may be true he could not refute the honor the medal indicated he did everything in his power to separate himself from Britain esp. after the way the British press and people first treated Yoko. Which was why he did, in part, favor the states. I may be brazenly incorrect but I think had John lived he would've become a naturalized citizen of the US.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:11 AM   #7
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dreamer
I may be brazenly incorrect but I think had John lived he would've become a naturalized citizen of the US.
Probably.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:15 AM   #8
pattiboyd's slave
Sgt. Pepper

had nobody checked on the wash-basin?
pattiboyd's slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:16 AM   #9
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

What a "coincidence" (ha ha ha) that they "found" it this week, when John is such a hot ticket, media-wise.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 04:44 AM   #10
Bexy_Starkey
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattiboyd's slave
Very suave quote-dropping, PBS!

Choose Love, dudes!
Bexy_Starkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 06:00 AM   #11
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattiboyd's slave

lol, apparently not

That's pretty cool they found it. I wondered sometimes what happened to it. Nice to know it still exists. Although how do they know it's John's? Are there names engraved on these things or something?

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 07:56 AM   #12
flowergirl
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dreamer
That note carries a heavier, more poignant reference to the time it was written than just a lark. And though it may be true he could not refute the honor the medal indicated he did everything in his power to separate himself from Britain esp. after the way the British press and people first treated Yoko. Which was why he did, in part, favor the states. I may be brazenly incorrect but I think had John lived he would've become a naturalized citizen of the US.
I am not so sure, the American government didn't like him at all cos he was left wing which is way he was spied on constantly.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 08:10 AM   #13
pattiboyd's slave
Sgt. Pepper

I thought all the beatles gave back their MBE...or am I dreaming? I also heard eric clapton received an MBE recently...is this true?
pattiboyd's slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:31 PM   #14
mlucifersam
Little Child

No, only John returned his.

"John Leper, Paul McCharmley, George Parasol and Ringo Stone"
My BLOG:http://spaces.msn.com/members/mlucifersam/
My Space: http://www.myspace.com/markrichardjones
When I Met Paul:http://www.jiggler.de/images/pictures.htm
mlucifersam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2009, 12:59 PM   #15
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

How can this be?! These stories coming out saying that John's MBE has found in a vault. I reported this 3 yrs. ago What's up with that?

Story:
http://www.xfm.co.uk/news/2009/rejec...in-royal-vault

Last edited by I am the Paulrus : Jan 06, 2009 at 12:59 PM.
I am the Paulrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2009, 01:13 PM   #16
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

Liverpool Beatles fans call on Buckingham Palace to release Lennon MBE

by Andy Johnson

Published Mon 05 Jan 2009

http://www.clickliverpool.com/news/l...ennon-mbe.html

Please Release M(B)E

The MBE medal that Beatle legend John Lennon famously rejected has been unearthed in a royal vault.

Now - 40 years after Lennon sent the award back to The Queen - Beatles historians are calling for it to be dusted off and put on public display.

The Fab Four were invested as Members of the British Empire in the Queen's Birthday Honours in 1965, after topping record charts around the world.

But later Lennon decided that he had sold out to the Establishment and returned his MBE to Her Majesty 25th November 1969 as part of ongoing peace protests masterminded with Yoko Ono.

In an accompanying letter Lennon said:

"Your Majesty, I am returning my MBE as a protest against Britain's involvement in the Nigeria-Biafra thing, against our support of America in Vietnam and against 'Cold Turkey' slipping down the charts."

"With Love, John Lennon."

Years later he was quoted as saying: "Lots of people who complained about us getting the MBE received theirs for heroism in the war.

"They got them for killing people. We deserved ours for not killing people.

"In a way it was hypocritical of me to accept it.

"But I'm glad I did really, because it meant that four years later I was able to use it to make a gesture."

Now Beatles fans have established that the medal has been located in a vault at St James' Palace and have written to Yoko Ono urging her to retrieve it.

The medal was found in a cabinet at the Chancery Department of the Royal Household where it has lain untouched for years.

It is still in the presentation case bearing the name John Winston Lennon, and has been stored along with his protest letter.

Beatles history experts regard it as one of the most important pieces of Beatles history and are calling for the medal to be exhibited in the city 40 years after it was returned.

It has been suggested that it should be given a permanent home at "Mendips", the childhood home John shared with his Aunt Mimi in Woolton, which was bought and donated to the National Trust by Yoko Ono.

Lennon had originally sent the medal to his Auntie Mimi and she kept it in pride of place on her mantelpiece, until John collected it and returned it to The Queen.

Liverpool Beatles Appreciation Society founder Gene Grimes said: "The Palace are sitting on a unique piece of Beatles history and it should not be left to gather dust in a draw.

"There are several places in Liverpool where it could be displayed.

"It would be great on the mantlepiece at Mendips, where his Aunt Mimi kept it originally, or at the new Museum of Liverpool that is being built.

"John's decision to return the MBE should be respected, but I also believe that showing it to the public would be appropriate - since it would raise awareness of John's campaign for peace.

"The medal is a vital piece of Beatles memorabilia and should be exhibited for John's fans to see."

A Buckingham Palace spokesman confirmed that the MBE has been located and that it remains the property of John Lennon's estate.

The spokesman said: "John Lennon's MBE is being taken good care of and is in storage at the Central Chancery, St James' Palace.

"It has been retained since the day Mr Lennon returned it, but in order to decide whether the medal could go on display in a museum, we would have to establish ownership first.

"It could be up to Yoko Ono as she is the custodian of John Lennon's estate."

Gene Grimes added: "We thought John's MBE must have been melted down or put in a new box and re-cycled.

"It's wonderful to know that it has been kept safe all these years.

"John's memory will live on for ever in his music but this MBE is a very precious memento.

"We'd love to see the medal on public display in Liverpool where it belongs.

"It would a great reminder of John's message of love of peace that he always believed in."
Old Jan 06, 2009, 02:08 PM   #17
Harbidge
Co-Admin Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Paulrus View Post
In an accompanying letter Lennon said:

"Your Majesty, I am returning my MBE as a protest against Britain's involvement in the Nigeria-Biafra thing, against our support of America in Vietnam and against 'Cold Turkey' slipping down the charts."

"With Love, John Lennon."
Except he didn't end the letter that way. He ended it 'John Lennon of Bag'.
Old Jan 06, 2009, 09:51 PM   #18
ilianna
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
and against COLD TURKEY slipping down the charts."
Haha that made me laugh
by named christened. They decided to get
together because they were the getting-together
type. When they were together they wondered
what for after all, what for? So all of a sudden
they all grew guitars and formed a noise."

- JOHN LENNON

"I'm always getting winked at these days"
ilianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2009, 05:45 AM   #19
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

Quote:
How can this be?! These stories coming out saying that John's MBE has found in a vault. I reported this 3 yrs. ago What's up with that?

Well I guess no one's listening to you. A story's not hard news unless it gets repeated 3 years later

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote