BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Jun 16, 2007, 01:15 AM   #1
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

Default George's "Rocky" Fender Stratocaster from MMT

George's "Rocky" Fender Stratocaster from MMT

http://www.thehenryford.org/museum/rockstars/index.html

http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31665

On the above link I posted about JL psychedelic Rolls on display.

They also mention on the website: "Fender "Stratocaster," played by The Beatles, Magical Mystery hand-painted."

I am inquiring about two Beatles guitars that I saw mentioned on the website:

1."a Fender Guitar Given to John Lennon. (Returned to Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick after Lennon's Death)."

What I would like to know is who was it that gave this Fender Strat to John and when?

2."Fender "Stratocaster," played by The Beatles, Magical Mystery hand-painted."

Am I to believe that this would be George Harrison's "Rocky" Fender Strat that he used in MMT and that he handpainted himself? What I would like to know is this the original or a replica? I had always thought "Rocky" was still in the posession of The Harrison Estate at his mansion at Friar Park in England. I have seen pics of GH with is guitar collection from the '80s and '90s and in the pic I saw "Rocky". Or did the Harrisons sell "Rocky" to someone else? Please help me solve this.
Cheers.

Last edited by I am the Paulrus : Jun 16, 2007 at 01:24 AM.
I am the Paulrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2007, 10:53 AM   #2
george_on_cloud9
Sun King

That's a nice guitar! Pyschedelic!

Favorite Beatle: George (1943-2001)

Favorite Beatle year(s): 1966, 1967*, 1968

(*1967 was the year that My Guy was born... my favorite Guy...)

My Quote for George:
"A Butterfly Flying Around Me Saying Goodbye!"
(29/11/2001)
God Bless You, George... Love ya...

"GEORGE ! You just give me stripes, moustache and a smile... cause You're So Fine!"

Song to remember the Past: "In My Life"

Just call me Cloud or GOC9
george_on_cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 03:55 AM   #3
johnnymain
Mr. Moonlight

Yeah, I was sure that the original "Rocky" would be stored some where in FPSHOT. Last time I saw the real thing was in the Tom Petty video for "I Won't Back Down" feauring George, Jeff and Ringo.

Anyway, I think this is probably just a good replica as per the one in the link below:
http://www.edromanguitars.com/newsit...customshop.htm

I can't see Olivia or Dhanni lending Rocky out to anyone!

PS: Nice signature Paulrus!

www.metaltalk.net for Daily Metal News, Reviews and Opinions
johnnymain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 11:15 PM   #4
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

I'm not really sure, but doesn't it appear somewhere at the "Concert for George"? Maybe played by Andy Fairweather Low, or something like that? I cannot recall it, but on reading this thread I've kind of thought of it. Perhaps it was a replica, or it wasn't there at all...
Old Jul 27, 2007, 10:09 AM   #5
Hari's Chick

I remember Dhani playing an acoustic of George's? Now I wonder... about Rocky... hmmm... gotta watch Concert for George again. :)

Here's my Rocky~

Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:21 PM   #6
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

Hey, Hari's Chick! Great Rocky! Great idea! I bow low before you! In fact, I'm heavily tempted to plagiarize it with my uke!

At the "Concert for George", if I remember it well, Dhani played a big acoustic guitar with a heart-shaped hole, which I've always thought was George's (I don't really know why, I may have seen him playing it). Is it a Zemaitis? It looks like it could be, but I don't know much about those guitars. Also, I think the first of George's 12-string Rickenbacker guitars was somewhere on the stage, on a guitar stand.

I must watch that DVD again. Both because I haven't seen it for a while, and to look for that Rocky in Andy Fairweather-Low's hands. As I said, I'm not sure, but I think he does play it at some moment (while sitting, and probably playing slide... Wasn't Rocky set to play slide?)
Old Jul 30, 2007, 03:40 AM   #7
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

Love the Rocky Uke HC, did you paint it?
Old Jul 30, 2007, 08:39 PM   #8
Hari's Chick

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gos Coix View Post
Hey, Hari's Chick! Great Rocky! Great idea! I bow low before you! In fact, I'm heavily tempted to plagiarize it with my uke!

At the "Concert for George", if I remember it well, Dhani played a big acoustic guitar with a heart-shaped hole, which I've always thought was George's (I don't really know why, I may have seen him playing it). Is it a Zemaitis? It looks like it could be, but I don't know much about those guitars. Also, I think the first of George's 12-string Rickenbacker guitars was somewhere on the stage, on a guitar stand.

I must watch that DVD again. Both because I haven't seen it for a while, and to look for that Rocky in Andy Fairweather-Low's hands. As I said, I'm not sure, but I think he does play it at some moment (while sitting, and probably playing slide... Wasn't Rocky set to play slide?)
Yeah, Rocky was set for slide... and it was indeed the acoustic with the heart-shaped hole Dhani played! Awww... yes, that was it. I peeked at Zemaitis and you seem to be correct there. The image showed a guitar just like George's. It has Indian rosewood and mother of pearl... very pretty and well crafted, not to mention pricey!

Thanks for liking my Rocky Jr! I'd be honored to have the idea borrowed!!
Old Jul 30, 2007, 08:42 PM   #9
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac View Post
Love the Rocky Uke HC, did you paint it?
Thanks! Yeah, I painted it for a tribute they had for George here in LA. At the time I did not have a super clear picture of Rocky. I wish I'd had the above pic when I painted it!
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:45 PM   #10
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
Thanks for liking my Rocky Jr! I'd be honored to have the idea borrowed!!
I'm very inclined to take you up on it... I've always been afraid to paint one of my guitars, in case I spoiled it, but my cheap uke is another thing. I don't know whether I'll do it in the end, but I'll write your name somewhere (not very visible, so as not to mar the effect) as driving force behind such a glorious idea . What kind of paint did you use? Did you varnish it afterwards?

Today I'm going on holiday until September (well, I'm not going anywhere, but I won't be coming to the office, and that's enought), so I'll have plenty of time to watch the Concert for George and look for Rocky. Although I suppose that by the time I come back (I don't have internet at home) somebody will have already determined whether it's there or not!

Last edited by El Gos Coix : Jul 30, 2007 at 10:47 PM.
El Gos Coix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2007, 11:17 PM   #11
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

Hi,

As I told you, I'm on holiday, but I've had to come to the public library to check a list in a web site, so I'm also sending you a pic of Rocky at the Concert for George. I recalled well: it's played by Andy Fairweather-Low, and the song is "My Sweet Lord".

Old Aug 08, 2007, 11:54 AM   #12
Hari's Chick

Quote:
I'm very inclined to take you up on it... I've always been afraid to paint one of my guitars, in case I spoiled it, but my cheap uke is another thing. I don't know whether I'll do it in the end, but I'll write your name somewhere (not very visible, so as not to mar the effect) as driving force behind such a glorious idea . What kind of paint did you use? Did you varnish it afterwards?

Today I'm going on holiday until September (well, I'm not going anywhere, but I won't be coming to the office, and that's enought), so I'll have plenty of time to watch the Concert for George and look for Rocky. Although I suppose that by the time I come back (I don't have internet at home) somebody will have already determined whether it's there or not!
Awww, that is so kind about Rocky!! Let's see... I used acrylic paints and I didn't varnish it, but should have. I just lightly sanded it before painting and hoped it would stick. For the most part it has, though the edges are showing a little wear. I think varnish is an excellent idea!

And yes! There's Rocky indeed at the CFG~ you have a good memory!

And the heart shaped guitar I saw a few days ago, too~ the one Dhani played at the concert? Here is George playing it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZFD9mO-xXY

Hope your vacation is going very well!
Old Aug 08, 2007, 09:38 PM   #13
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Great video, HC! Thanks for the link! George sure wore the stamp of Harold Sr. very well about his face, I think.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2007, 11:09 AM   #14
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
Great video, HC! Thanks for the link! George sure wore the stamp of Harold Sr. very well about his face, I think.
Aww,yeah he sure did.... George got better looking every year. :)
Old Aug 17, 2010, 04:37 AM   #15
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Im willing to bet the "rocky" Andy Fairweather Low was playing is probably the "original" Rocky..in his/her last public appearance?? (as of yet?)

"take me to the river, drop me in the water..."
- David Byrne
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 04:40 AM   #16
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:

i also bow before your Uke making/painting abilities!!

it looks just like a minature Rocky!! and on a Uke!! George woulda loved that combination!! :)

- David Byrne
Old Aug 17, 2010, 04:50 AM   #17
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Paulrus View Post
George's "Rocky" Fender Stratocaster from MMT

http://www.thehenryford.org/museum/rockstars/index.html

http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31665

On the above link I posted about JL psychedelic Rolls on display.

They also mention on the website: "Fender "Stratocaster," played by The Beatles, Magical Mystery hand-painted."

I am inquiring about two Beatles guitars that I saw mentioned on the website:

1."a Fender Guitar Given to John Lennon. (Returned to Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick after Lennon's Death)."

What I would like to know is who was it that gave this Fender Strat to John and when?

2."Fender "Stratocaster," played by The Beatles, Magical Mystery hand-painted."

Am I to believe that this would be George Harrison's "Rocky" Fender Strat that he used in MMT and that he handpainted himself? What I would like to know is this the original or a replica? I had always thought "Rocky" was still in the posession of The Harrison Estate at his mansion at Friar Park in England. I have seen pics of GH with is guitar collection from the '80s and '90s and in the pic I saw "Rocky". Or did the Harrisons sell "Rocky" to someone else? Please help me solve this.
Cheers.

It's probabaly late replying now (3 years!) and its just a guess, but seeing as no one else has answered your first question..

Im guessing Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick gave John lennon the fender while they were recording during the Double Fantasy sessions with John in 1980..they did Im losing you etc which finally surfaced on the John Lennon anthogy and is far superior to the Double fantasy verison if you ask me..i wish they had of done the whole album(s). I think producer Jack Douglas had brought them in but either Yoko or John (or both) thought Rick's guitar sound sounded too much like cold turkey..and thats a bad thing?!

That's probably why it says the guitar was returned to Rick Nielsen after John's death..

Cheap Trick are a great band..was just listening to their song "Woke up with a monster" which has some very Lennon sounding vocals and an "im losing you/cold turkey' kinda feel to it..

- David Byrne

Last edited by CWW : Aug 17, 2010 at 04:52 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 04:44 PM   #18
Unknown Delight
Nowhere Man

Here is a fun photo i thought was perfect for this thread....

Let's play a fun game ...can YOU identify ALL of the guitars in this photo of George at home?

We all know 'Rocky'...seen here hanging on the wall with his comrads...but how about the others?

I thought this might be a fun way for people to talk more about the guitars pictured.

The brownish Strat with the sunburst i am familar with. It has the circular Dark Horse Records logo sticker on it...to the left of 'Rocky'. I have seen it in several photos taken during the 'Dark Horse Tour', so i am aware of it being used during that time period.

Anyone recognize any of the others....and places they were used/ seen?

Have fun!

-

www.youtube.com/user/pizzatimeplayer

Last edited by Unknown Delight : Aug 20, 2010 at 04:48 PM.
Unknown Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:31 PM   #19
Hari's Chick

Fun idea! Maybe we should start a whole new topic so people wouldn't miss it? I love your idea for this, Unknown Delight!!!
Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:35 PM   #20
Hari's Chick

I think MAYBE the guitar in the top right corner... the picture is dark but I think that's George's Les Paul "Lucy"... given to him by EC and played by EC on WMGGW.