BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Old Nov 14, 2005, 09:46 AM   #1
pattiboyd's slave
Sgt. Pepper

Default Thee Two Greatest Artists in Rock History

I'm going to go out on a limb and say The Beatles & Bob Dylan (respectively) are the two greatest artists in the history of Rock music (Rock genre only). I know this leaves out a myriad of artists that are brilliant and fantastic musicians & my only rationalization for my point of view is from years of listening to a wide variety of groups over the years. Now I haven't heard every band in the world, I'm not up on current trends and popular bands, so I need feedback from people in tune with today's modern music, what they think about my opening comment and who they might think out rank The Beatles & Dylan for the two greatest rock artists slot.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:50 AM   #2
Pepperland Kamer
Dr. Robert

I would agree with those top two. For influence and importance I don't think anyone comes close....Maybe Elvis..But they're not the only 2, there are other important artists, but yes I agree, they are the tops of the pops

But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only.

Nothing Is Beatle-Proof!!
Pepperland Kamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 12:58 PM   #3
FPSHOT
Sun King

There is always the issue of what is 'greatest'. As in 'influence'... or...'lasting'... or.. 'timeless' and then in a poll probably these two would come up in that order yeah.

People at other boards may push others forward because of their personal heroes being others, like Bowie, Springsteen, Mercury, Brian Wilson, however all of these have limitations where it comes to the ones you have on 1 and 2. Will their songs still be heard in 20 years and have their compositions influenced as many as John, Paul, George, Ringo & Bob?

The answer my friend, is ....no. (impo)

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 01:04 PM   #4
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Beatles and Foo Fighters

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 02:47 PM   #5
Wavertree
Apple Scruff

Toss in the name of Elvis Presley along with the Beatles and Dylan as the three greatest rock & roll acts of all time, and I’ll agree with you. If not for Elvis, rock music — and popular music in general — wouldn’t have been the same. Elvis didn’t write that many songs, but the dynamic way he performed them has become legendary. Just compare Elvis’ version of “That’s All Right (Mama)” to Arthur Cruddup’s original or Elvis’ rendition of “Blue Moon of Kentucky” to Bill Munroe’s, and you’ll know what I’m talking about. Also, Elvis was the singlemost important inspiration to the Beatles. It can safely be said that if it hadn’t have been for Elvis, there wouldn’t have been any Beatles. Yes, JPG&R built more impressively upon the foundation that Elvis laid than Elvis himself, but Elvis’ influence was absolutely vital.

Unfortunately, after kicking down the door so brilliantly, Elvis barely crossed the threshold. After electrifying audiences and the popular culture at large with his daring mix of (white) country & Western and (black) rhythm & blues, Elvis’ greatest concern seemed to be to appeal to the broadest audience possible with music that, by and large, paled next to the full-blooded songs of his auspicious arrival. Where Dylan, the Beatles, and others took Elvis’ musical legacy forward, Elvis himself seemed determined to step backwards and become the next Frank Sinatra.

Today, the camp image of the paunchy, white-jumpsuited Vegas crooner of Elvis’ later years (he died in 1977 at age 42) has elcipsed the earthy, energetic, dungaree-clad hellhound-with-a-pompadour of 1956 and 1957. It’s unfortunate that Elvis’ career took the terrible turn that it did. If he had associated himself more with Dylan, the Beatles, and the others who took his musical breakthrough to its next artistic level, Elvis might be thought of — as we think of Dylan and the Beatles — as one of the most crucial rock performers of the 1960s, the decade of rock’s greatest flowering. And the laughable Vegas Elvis might never have come to be. It’s amazing how one of pop music’s greatest performers ultimately became a parody of himself.

Thank goodness the same cannot be said of the Beatles.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 01:00 AM   #6
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama
Beatles and Foo Fighters
LOL
Old Nov 15, 2005, 01:08 AM   #7
nightfishsnake
Day Tripper

Send a message via Yahoo to nightfishsnake

besides the BEATLES and ELVIS?their nicknames are GOD
and VOODOO CHILD,CLAPTON and HENDRIX!
yes it's true,i live for you
G.Harrison
nightfishsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 05:29 AM   #8
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I probably would have put Dylan third and put elvis is second position, but those would be the top 3 rock artists ever...

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 07:00 AM   #9
FPSHOT
Sun King

Okay in that case...

Beatles and Sugababes

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 11:46 AM   #10
pattiboyd's slave
Sgt. Pepper

Perhaps Elvis could be the godhead of Rock, the rest follow accordingly. John Lennon said, and I love this quote, "before Elvis, there was nothing."
Old Nov 17, 2005, 02:59 PM   #11
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

Pango & Johrge without a doubt ;)
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:58 PM   #12
the family cat
Banned

In terms of actual songs being constantly covered it would be the Beatles and Dylan.
Elvis was an interpreter only and everyone else who followed,such as the Stones,the Who,Bowie or Elton John,are not especially up for covers of every song and even had flop albums and singles.
The Beatles are the only band whose individual members are noted for at least every other song.Few could even name all the Stones ones which followed Exile.
Clapton and Hendrix were no more than blues musicians around at the time
Its also the influence.The Beatles were a phenomenon of the 60s and the succeeding decades would feel their influence until 1995 when they were poised once more to become the biggest band in the World even though they didn't technically exist.
Today the Beatles are a GENRE of music,living in the gleaming halls of their morning as their music hangs in the air

Last edited by the family cat : Nov 22, 2005 at 01:00 PM.
the family cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 08:10 AM   #13
pattiboyd's slave
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the family cat
The Beatles were a phenomenon of the 60s and the succeeding decades would feel their influence until 1995 when they were poised once more to become the biggest band in the World even though they didn't technically exist.
Today the Beatles are a GENRE of music,living in the gleaming halls of their morning as their music hangs in the air
i like that: the beatles are a GENRE!
Old Nov 25, 2005, 09:58 PM   #14
Icky
Fool On The Hill

I would have to agree with pattiboyd'd slave. The beatles and Bob dylan were the two greatest artist of all time. they both influenced each other. The beatles looked to Bobs lyrics for that poeticness they used. Those two are by far great. yes i agree 100 percent. those two .. could you imagine if bob and the beatles made a song together? now that is something i would have loved to hear. I wish music was still so simple and creative like it was then . Then legends were made. now a days there are no real legends for this generation(for mine especially) that is why i am so blessed that the beatles and bob dylan can be icons and legends for people of all ages. so yes 100 percent the bealtes and bob. yes elvis was a brillant show man and a huge rock and roll icon. he often covered a lot of songs. but i do feel that the bealtes and bob carry that tourch . and i am greatful that they do
Old Dec 08, 2005, 05:56 PM   #15
Wavertree
Apple Scruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky
.. could you imagine if bob and the beatles made a song together? now that is something i would have loved to hear.
Well, both Bob and George wrote “I’d Have You Any Time,” the first song on All Things Must Pass.
Old Dec 08, 2005, 05:59 PM   #16
Wavertree
Apple Scruff

Hey, while we’re at it:

Who would you say is the greatest female rocker?

Who would you say is the greatest black rocker?

(Of course, you may think that they’re the same person.)
Old Dec 08, 2005, 06:01 PM   #17
LovinLennon909
Taxman

Godhead of Rock...Don Elvis. Tee hee.

My vote goes to Dylan and the Beatles, in that order, followed by Elvis.

Last edited by LovinLennon909 : Dec 08, 2005 at 06:04 PM.
LovinLennon909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2005, 05:17 AM   #18
Liam
Fool On The Hill

maroon five is, without a doubt, up there somewhere.

..just kidding.
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 02:07 AM   #19
vincenthanna
Apple Scruff

Greatest, Influencial, Ever-lasting, Timeless, Perfect.....

ELVIS & THE BEATLES

no questions asked and without a doubt forever,

Mark.
''...I learned very early in life that without a song the day would never end, without a song the road would never bend, without a song a man aint got a friend, without a song, so i'll keep singing a song...'' - Elvis Presley (1971) [Lifetime Achievement Award Speech]

''Before Elvis There Was Nothing'' - John Lennon

''I Doubt Very Much If The Beatles Would Have Even Happened If It Hadn't Been For Elvis'' - Paul McCartney
vincenthanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:39 AM   #20
Wavertree
Apple Scruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavertree
Who would you say is the greatest female rocker?
Hmmm, I didn’t get as many responses to this as I thought I would. Good candidates for the crown include Carole King, who, with her husband Jerry Goffin, wrote some of the most enduring rock & roll songs of the pre-Beatles era (“Up on the Roof,” “The Loco-Motion,” “Will You Love Me Tomorrow?”) and then brilliantly made the transition to solo performer with her multi-platinum 1971 album Tapestry (Goffin-King were a huge early influence on Lennon-McCartney). Another would be Joni Mitchell, whose songwriting and performing skills have been favorably compared to Bob Dylan’s. If you were to go mainly by performing and durability, you might say Diana Ross. But I’m going to go out on a limb and say...

MADONNA

I don’t say this as any great fan of her music, but Madonna’s durability and influence continue after 22 years, several lifetimes in the ephemeral world of pop music. When she first appeared on the scene in 1983, solo female performers who emphasized dance as well as voice were rather low on rock’s totem pole. Madonna’s explosive success seemed to pave the way for Janet Jackson, Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, and other high-profile performers in that mode. Unlike them, however, Madonna wrote or co-wrote most of her own songs. Female vocalist who “put on a show,” dancing as well as singing, are now as conspicuous as guitar groups. Also, Madonna began a fashion trend as head-scrathching and long-lasting as the Beatles did with long hair: before Madonna made it big, women kept their undergarments scrupulously hidden, but Madonna started the trend of women showing off their underwear as outerwear; to this day, we may know more than we want to about what comes between some women and their Calvins. And after all this time, she still has a huge audience (of which, I am not a part). I will be interested to see if her following and her influence are still as sizeable 10 to 20 years on.