BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Old May 15, 2006, 05:52 AM   #22
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I dont mind the Capitol albums either. I like the British ones better I guess cuz being 2nd generation, that's what was available to me for the longest time. My mom had a few Capitol albums on cassette tape though & I loved American Rubber Soul (this was when i was like 7 before i'd even known there was another version!) I was so disapointed when the tape wore out! Then my brother burned a bunch of Capitols on cd cuz that's what he likes. He burned me a Yesterday & Today which was cool cuz i love that one too! And when I got Capitol Vol 2 the first thing i did was take out Rubber Soul cuz i hadnt heard it in forever! Well that's my story & i'm sticking to it

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 09:39 AM   #23
pattiboyd's slave
Sgt. Pepper

holysmokes! now we gotta buy the remastered discs?
but i'd love to hear the latter from rubber soul on remastered versions.

i recall George Harrison saying how horrible some of their songs sounded on CD,
i'd agree as far as listening to some of the CD's on headphones when some songs sound better on open speakers.
Old May 15, 2006, 09:59 AM   #24
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennonluvr9
I dont mind the Capitol albums either. I like the British ones better I guess cuz being 2nd generation, that's what was available to me for the longest time. My mom had a few Capitol albums on cassette tape though & I loved American Rubber Soul (this was when i was like 7 before i'd even known there was another version!) I was so disapointed when the tape wore out! Then my brother burned a bunch of Capitols on cd cuz that's what he likes. He burned me a Yesterday & Today which was cool cuz i love that one too! And when I got Capitol Vol 2 the first thing i did was take out Rubber Soul cuz i hadnt heard it in forever! Well that's my story & i'm sticking to it
When I was a young kid first getting into The Beatles, I was aware from various discography books and such that there were different-looking albums with slightly differing play lists out there in other countries. I didn't think too much of it, though.

Rubber Soul was the first Capitol Albums Vol. 2 CD I played, as well. I missed it all those years.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 07:38 AM   #25
analogdemon
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hofner
Before I ever bought a CD player, I played my vinyl LPs. When I listened to my vinyl Beatles LPs they were, of course, Capitol albums - being that I grew up (and still am growing up - LOL!) in The U.S.A. I didn't think much of things like play lists and whether or not I was listening to the "correct" or "real" album(!). The music was the main thing for me... it was d*mn good music.

From time to time, I'd buy an import EP, or something like that... and in these instances I'd notice slight differences in the sound. She's A Woman and I Feel Fine, in particular, were songs that sounded different to me in comparison to my "Beatles '65" album mixes. But, that was cool with me... it was like having a "rarity" or something.

When The Beates catalog came out on CD, of course I bought them all. It was at that time that I first REALLY encountered the issue concerning how different the British albums were to my American versions. I think it was around that time that I first heard, as well, that the CDs were "how The Beatles intended them to be...". Made no difference to me... I played my British CDs without complaint - so long as I was hearing the music. Of course, I would have prefered my more familiar Capitol album play lists on CD. I never really got used to "Drive My Car" kicking off Rubber Soul .... or, "Every Little Thing" not fading out as a nice way to close-out its respective album. To MY ears, things were slightly amiss.

So, of course, when Capitol began releasing the American albums on CD, I was over-joyed. But it wasn't until I joined this forum that I became aware that there were actually people who harbored such resentment and ill-feelings towards these Capitol "anomolies". I was kind'a surprised, to tell you the truth!

I read an article (that is, I started reading an article but stopped) by Martin Lewis on that new site "Beatles Today" where he threw in a couple digs at the Capitol albums - digs that betrayed more than just a mild dislike. I mean, he sounded resentful and bitter! I said to myself, "get over it, pal!" How utterly ridiculous.

For me, it was always the music - whether in mono, or duophonic stereo, or true stereo, or whatever - that made me feel incredible things. As for the order in which they appear and on which album they appear.... who cares!?!?!? I think it's cool that there are differing versions of Beatles albums, actually. Interesting to note that, thanks to Capitol records, The Beatles can claim to have THE holy grail of album covers (The Butcher cover).

If you grew up on the British albums, that's fine - they are your albums. However, if you grew up on the Capitol albums then why should anyone begrudge you? Those albums are completely valid and worth regarding. After all, they were a HUGE part of Beatlemania, and The Beatles owe a lot of their success to those strange rainbow-labeled LPs! By the way... I never once felt jipped by the fact that there are 2-3 less songs on my American albums... I've never felt manipulated or fooled by the evil Capitol Records mix-masters! LOL! Nahhh... I LOVE the American albums. So, why begrudge me or anyone of this? I don't hate the British LPs! They're simply not MY LPs.

Bottom line is that it is, at best, pretty silly to slam the Capitol albums as "wrong", or "not real", or somehow "inferior". I know, I know... "they're not how the band intended them....". Well, that doesn't really make a heap of difference in the end, does it? Since the fans are the ones who immortalize the music, I'd say this was all that really mattered/matters. There's a reason why Capitol is releasing the American albums on CD now and why they're selling very well. I suspect it has something to do with how very real the Capitol albums are to, ohhhh.... just "a few million" Beatles fans.

Ok, I'm getting off my tree stump! :
Amen brother! Furthermore, NOBODY can tell me that Meet the Beatles! isn't one of the most important albums in the history of rock and roll.
analogdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 06:32 PM   #27
jtal909
Sun King

It's all relative, isn't it?

As a kid in the 60's, Meet The Beatles was life altering.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:52 PM   #28
fifthofnovember
Little Child

Send a message via AIM to fifthofnovember Send a message via MSN to fifthofnovember Send a message via Yahoo to fifthofnovember Send a message via Skype™ to fifthofnovember

I don't like the capitol albums..i basically ignore their existance. I listen to my originally intended proper British albums, and I'm fine. The way i see it, it's not wrong, it's just..there's Capitol's Rubber Soul..and the Beatles' Rubber Soul. The Beatles' second lp, With the Beatles, and Capitol's Meet the Beatles.

The only album i'd call inferior is Revolver because it's not a different feeling, it doesn't add, it's just the same thing, minus three essential lennon tracks

[url="https://www.facebook.com/EricParashos[/URL]
fifthofnovember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 08:55 AM   #29
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Some points to extol the Capitol versions:

1) Beatles did not originally intent anything before there were theme albums like Rubber Soul.

2) Capitol Albums had all the single tracks included out of which many were rarities before year 1987.

3) The sound quality of the Capitol CD's is currently better than in the current Parlophone CD's.

4) In regards to early Beatles, there are no stereo tracks available elsewhere except in the Capitol reissues and on some compilations.

- Biggles

Last edited by BadLittleKid : Nov 27, 2006 at 08:55 AM.
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 03, 2016, 04:40 AM   #30
Bongo
Nowhere Man

Thumbs down Capitol 2004-06 CD box set vs 2014 US CD box set

I loved the Capitol CDs Vol.1 & Vol. 2 from 2004-06 and really wish they came out with a Vol. 3, but of course it never happened.

*** Now I feel sorry for people who bought the 2014 US CD box set. It doesn’t have those original dexterized recordings of 2004-06 CDs. Instead all they did was use the 2009 UK CD mixes and did a little echo here and there to make you think it sounded like the Capitol records. Man they failed misreably.

Only thing people got was the pretty Album covers,and a few more CDs that didn’t come with with the Capitol box sets.

Come on Apple, At least buy me breakfast if your gonna fuck me!

Last edited by Bongo : Apr 03, 2016 at 05:50 PM.
Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote