BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Act Naturally

Old May 19, 2009, 12:24 PM   #1
DizzyMissLizzy
Apple Scruff

Send a message via Yahoo to DizzyMissLizzy
Default Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

The movie Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band starring the BeeGees is actually what first introduced me to The Beatles. Young as I was when I saw it, I thought all the songs belonged to the BeeGees, silly me. Until my mom got her Beatles 1 cd and I heard "The Long and Winding Road" and was like, "But that's the BeeGees' song, isn't it?"
Total blond moment.
My mom was like, "Uh, no." Lolz.

Anyway, I really like this movie. Anyone else?

~No Day But Today~

R.I.P.
Angel Dumott Schunard
DizzyMissLizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 04:04 AM   #2
jesgear
Sun King

I dug it when it first came out and I saw it on the big screen (the day I turned 13). I bought the album and enjoyed most of the songs. But I dug them even more when I heard The Beatles' versions, and I rarely go back to the movie's versions.

I saw the movie a second time almost twenty years later and wondered, "what was I thinking liking it when I was 13?"

Last edited by jesgear : May 20, 2009 at 04:05 AM.
jesgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 02:23 PM   #3
DizzyMissLizzy
Apple Scruff

Lol. My mom I think first went to see it cause she was a hardcore BeeGees fan. We have it on VHS and watch it every once in awhile. I've only seen in twice. One when I was in third grade and more interested in watching the second live action X-Men movie, X-2 (I'm an X-Men junkie) but surprisingly I liked it.
Late Fall 2008 around when I was REALLY getting into the Beatles we watched it again and I was more able to follow the songs and go, "Oh, yeah, that's a good one!" and of course, say how much better the original is. Lol.

~No Day But Today~

R.I.P.
Angel Dumott Schunard
Old May 20, 2009, 07:03 PM   #4
ilianna
Old Brown Shoe

The movie doesn't look like it would be good in my opinion but I haven't seen it so I don't know.
by named christened. They decided to get
together because they were the getting-together
type. When they were together they wondered
what for after all, what for? So all of a sudden
they all grew guitars and formed a noise."

- JOHN LENNON

"I'm always getting winked at these days"
ilianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 07:38 PM   #5
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesgear View Post
I saw the movie a second time almost twenty years later and wondered, "what was I thinking liking it when I was 13?"
It's the Beatles music! You can't go wrong with a Beatles tune, even when sung by BeeGees!

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 11:19 AM   #6
bearkat77
Administrator

I've only seen the movie once. The plot didn't attract me at all. The cover versions were, for the most part, done rather well. I still consider Aerosmith's cover of "Come Toghter" as the best recorded.
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 05:24 AM   #7
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

We watched bits and pieces of it in my Rockology class back in high school. I didnt like it at all. At the end of class i was like "Well if anyone needs me I'll be in the bathroom soaking my eyes". It was laughable to me, and not in a fun way.

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 03:00 PM   #8
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

I've never seen that movie, must find it!
Old May 27, 2009, 08:32 PM   #9
mluque125
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to mluque125

Never seen it either, would be cool to watch it one day!

Inspiration, move me brightly.
Light the song with sense and color;
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
mluque125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 09:57 PM   #10
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

The 1978 Robert Stigwood movie is a real stinky rotten turkey egg of a movie. Todd Rundgren however, does a good cover of "Strawberry Fields."

The movie really stinks a big one. Billy Preston plays Sgt. Pepper. Most of the covers are just....abominable and appalling.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 11:29 AM   #11
jesgear
Sun King

Todd Rundgren doesn't cover "Strawberry Fields Forever" in the movie; Sandy Farina does.

Old May 30, 2009, 12:58 PM   #12
bearkat77
Administrator

Here's the entire track listing for the soundtrack album and who does which songs:

The Long And Winding Road - Peter Frampton
A Day In The Life - Barry Gibb, The Bee Gees
Golden Slumbers - Peter Frampton
Carry That Weight - The Bee Gees
Got To Get You Into My Life - Earth, Wind & Fire
Nowher Man - The Bee Gees
Maxwell's Silver Hammer - Steve Martin
Get Back - Billy Preston
Polythene Pam - The Bee Gees
Oh! Darling - Robin Gibb
Because - Alice Cooper
Fixing A Hole - George Burns
She Came In Through The Bathroom Window - Peter Frampton, The Bee Gees
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (reprise) - Peter Frampton, The Bee Gees
Getting Better - Peter Frampton, The Bee Gees
With A Little Help From My Friends - Peter Frampton, The Bee Gees
Come Together - Aerosmith
Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite - Maurice Gibb, Peter Frampton, George Burns, The Bee Gees
Here Comes The Sun - Sandy Farina
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Bee Gees, Paul Nicholas
Good Morning, Good Morning - Paul Nicholas, Peter Frampton, The Bee Gees
I Want You (She's So Heavy) - The Bee Gees, Dianne Steinberg, Paul Nicholas, Donald Pleasence, Stargard
Mean Mr. Mustard - Frankie Howerd
She's Leaving Home - The Bee Gees, Jay MacIntosh, John Wheeler
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - Dianne Steinberg, Stargard
Strawberry Fields Forever - Sandy Farina
You Never Give MMe Your Money - Paul Nicholas, Dianne Steinberg
When I'm Sixty-Four - Frankie Howerd, Sandy Farina
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 01, 2009, 05:52 PM   #13
DizzyMissLizzy
Apple Scruff

Haha my mom has the record and we listen to it every once in awhile. After hearing the originals I listened to moms Sgt Peppers BeeGees album and I was like, "Well, now, they did THAT part wrong, and the voice is too high on this one, and Strawberry Fields forever doesn't make sense cuz in the movie her name is Strawberry Fields and she can't be going to herself and blah blah blah blah...." But I still loved both versions, I still loved the movie. After all, its kind of what introduced me to the Beatles. I just didn't know it yet. XD

I especially like the way they did A Day In THe Life, Get Back and Oh! Darling.

But then I also liked Across The Universe. I usually love Beatles music no matter what.

EXCEPT for the Jonas Brothers cover of Hello Goodbye. That SICKENS me.

~No Day But Today~

R.I.P.
Angel Dumott Schunard
Old Jun 02, 2009, 10:13 AM   #14
jesgear
Sun King

I never thought about what you said about Strawberry Fields. The movie takes on a whole new meaning now.

My favorite tracks are "Come Together", "Got to Get You into My Life", "I Want You (She's So Heavy)", and "Oh! Darling".

But I have to disagree about the Across the Universe movie; I HATED it!!!

Old Jun 07, 2009, 07:28 PM   #15
heyjude
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyMissLizzy View Post
EXCEPT for the Jonas Brothers cover of Hello Goodbye. That SICKENS me.
I hope you're not being biased. I dislike the Jonas Brothers too, but I didn't find they absolutely KILLED it. It obviously won't sound good, since their voices are modulated and very generic. The thing that bugged me was that whole Target sales pitch; whenever I think of the lyrics I see hello good buy. Damnit.

(Did I get that word right, modulated?)
We reckoned we could make it because there were four of us. None of us would've made it alone, because Paul wasn't quite strong enough, I didn't have enough girl-appeal, George was too quiet, and Ringo was the drummer. But we thought that everyone would be able to dig at least one of us, and that's how it turned out.
- John Lennon
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 08, 2009, 05:40 PM   #16
DizzyMissLizzy
Apple Scruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
I hope you're not being biased. I dislike the Jonas Brothers too, but I didn't find they absolutely KILLED it. It obviously won't sound good, since their voices are modulated and very generic. The thing that bugged me was that whole Target sales pitch; whenever I think of the lyrics I see hello good buy. Damnit.

(Did I get that word right, modulated?)
Well, I guess it wasn't TOO bad. I'm a teensy bit of a JB fan and like their other music but redoing hello goodbye REALLY disappointed me.
If I was being biased, wouldn't I hate the Sgt. Peppers movie and Across The Universe, too? :)

~No Day But Today~

R.I.P.
Angel Dumott Schunard
Old Jun 09, 2009, 06:33 AM   #17
MaccaGirl2891
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via MSN to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Yahoo to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Skype™ to MaccaGirl2891

I LOVE the Sgt. Peppers movie. My mom got it for me for my birthday one year, I believe. She loves the movie and thought Barry Gibb was sooo cute (she's brainwashed me into thinking that, too!). I got her the soundtrack for Christmas a few years ago.
I'd recommend this movie.
George Harrison - 2/25/1943--11/29/2001
Michael Joseph Jackson - 8/29/1958--6/25/2009
MaccaGirl2891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 03:53 PM   #18
DizzyMissLizzy
Apple Scruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaccaGirl2891 View Post
I LOVE the Sgt. Peppers movie. My mom got it for me for my birthday one year, I believe. She loves the movie and thought Barry Gibb was sooo cute (she's brainwashed me into thinking that, too!). I got her the soundtrack for Christmas a few years ago.
I'd recommend this movie.
HAHAHAHA that's SO weird cause my mom thinks that too, and also brainwashed me!! XD
-----
Personally I thought A Day In The Life was an AMAZING cover, sounding astoundingly close to the original and anyone who hates Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band OR Across The Universe for covering Beatles songs is just picky. If it weren't for those movies, half of today's youth wouldn't know about the Beatles or like their music and the Beatles would disappear completely once the original fans that were around in the sixties passed away.
You see, the younger fans that weren't there are kinda helping to hold the Beatles up. My mom pointed this out to me, so no, I'm not just a meddling brat or something. XD
My first introduction to the Beatles was when I saw Sgt. Peppers. My second was when my mom bought "Beatles 1". My third was Across The Universe, and the big bang came after my mom bought Help and A Hard Day's Night. But without a push from Sgt. Peppers, I would've never heard any of the music. Without help from Across The Universe I would have only heard the songs in Sgt. Peppers and the cd "Beatles 1".
Those movies aren't like, my sole reason for liking the Beatles. They just introduced me to more of the music so I was interested in hearing the original versions. Which lead to my obsession with the band that originally wrote and performed the music. The Beatles. Obviously.
I don't think people should ever, ever, ever, not in a million years judge people who became interested in the actual Beatles after seeing Across The Universe or Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. At least they're showing interest. At least they love the music. Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, Across The Universe, even that cover by the Jonas Brothers is all a homage to their love for the Beatles. If these things are getting more people interested in the Beatles, I say more power to them.

~No Day But Today~

R.I.P.
Angel Dumott Schunard
Old May 05, 2010, 05:16 AM   #19
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

This movie was on TV last night, and I finally had a chance to watch it after never being able to see it from start to finish. Overall, it was a bit disappointing, although to be completely honest, I'd heard some terrible ratings about it and thought it would be worse than it was! . Both the plot and acting left a lot to be desired, but I enjoyed some of the covers. I thought "I Want You (She's So Heavy)", "Day in the Life", and "Come Together" were well done (I looove Aerosmith's version, actually). Sandy Farina had good vocals too.

I thought 2007 Across the Universe was better done, but there were still some decent songs on Sgt. Peppers.
Old May 24, 2015, 11:02 AM   #20
Bongo
Nowhere Man

Thumbs down

I just finished watching Sgt Pepper movie for the 1st & last time. The only great thing about this movie is the Beatles music. Bad thing about this movie is The Bee Gees & Peter Frampton singing The Beatles music. Alice Cooper doesn't do justice singing a song, Steve Martin even worse, and we all know Aerosmith's version of Come Together is good.

Lots and lots of stars are in the final Sgt Pepper reprise (google it). This is similar to the Across The Universe musical movie, but nowhere as good (in my opinion).

Now I can say I've seen it, but will never watch it again......