BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:59 AM   #2081
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Post The Eggman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
ANOTHER NEW TOPIC: Just read this bit from a recent Hunter Davies interview:

wtf?! True? Wonder who this other well-known singer was... Mick?
No, it wasn't Mick, it was Eric Burdon from the Animals (according to John in an interview, don't remember which one). This is also the reference of the "I'm the Eggman" quoted in the song "I'm the Walrus".

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:46 AM   #2082
Maia 66
Sun King

Thanks for the response, Snoopy.

The Eric Burdon thing seems vaguely familiar to me... I kind of remember hearing something about it. But I've been doing a little search on the 'net and it seems like Eric made that claim in his autobiography... can't find any confirmation by John (or Pete, who was around when John wrote it), though.

I guess I'll add that to my list of "Questions to Ask Paul" if I ever get lucky and run into him while he's zipping around Beverly Hills in his blue Corvette...

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:23 AM   #2083
wallrus59
Bulldog

Quote:
Okay... in case anyone reads in here, I thought I'd post my sad thoughts on this 32nd anniversary ('cuz I know Scruffie doesn't want any morose postings in her very positive thread), but I was just thinking about the tragedy from John's perspective.

We talk a lot about how his death affected us, what a personal loss it has been, and what a tragic loss for the world. I'm just sad that someone as beautiful and sensitive as John had to leave the world in such a terrible way.

Okay, back to positive....
yeah look up ringo's remarks to baba wawa in her interview..it effects us all, but how it must really hurt those friends and family he saw everyday or every so often.

love you guys on menlove, sorry i missed so much yesterday..but i am starting to think i may have some eyestrain and it makes it hard to see for long on the computer screen..that or i may have diabetes...going to Dr. soon.

gk.

wallrus59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:58 AM   #2084
wildewoman
Taxman

Strangely enough, I was on a Facebook debate yesterday discussing the merits of gun control and the 2nd Amendment. The original post was nothing related to John, but let's just say that the day on which this debate occurred gave my arguments an extra edge. I was really feeling it.

Why is it that "born-agains" are almost always such gun advocates? But I digress...

--Oscar Wilde, The Critic as Artist

Last edited by wildewoman : Dec 09, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:59 AM   #2085
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallrus59 View Post
love you guys on menlove, sorry i missed so much yesterday
No need to apologize, mate! You always bring your A-game with beautiful postings! And I'm sure it's just eyestrain... I know that I much prefer reading the news and doing my internet shopping on on my huge screen in my office rather than my 15" MacBook Pro here at home...

All I want is the truth

Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:00 AM   #2086
wildewoman
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallrus59 View Post
yeah look up ringo's remarks to baba wawa in her interview..it effects us all, but how it must really hurt those friends and family he saw everyday or every so often.

love you guys on menlove, sorry i missed so much yesterday..but i am starting to think i may have some eyestrain and it makes it hard to see for long on the computer screen..that or i may have diabetes...going to Dr. soon.

gk.
DO take care of yourself. Diabetes is no joke, and we love you too!

--Oscar Wilde, The Critic as Artist
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:06 AM   #2087
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post
Strangely enough, I was on a Facebook debate yesterday discussing the merits of gun control and the 2nd Amendment. The original post was nothing related to John, but let's just say that the day on which this debate occurred gave my arguments an extra edge. I was really feeling it.
Good for you, fighting the good fight! I've told you guys this before, but back in the early '80s I used to have a gun control bumper sticker on my Honda CVCC hatchback, and I used to hear such abusive remarks... usually from young, redneck-y looking dudes, of which there are (thankfully) very few in the 323 area code... but they somehow all found me!

I dug what Bob Costas said the other day... and what I love the most is that he doesn't give a F#@% what his critics say... he knows he's right.

Quote:
Why is it that "born-agains" are almost always such gun advocates? But I digress...
The major hypocrisy of the "right-to-life" movement, eh? They usually support capital punishment too, don't they?

All I want is the truth

Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:18 PM   #2088
Maia 66
Sun King

I'm getting tired of seeing all these quotes floating around the tumblrsphere that are attributed to John but that he never even said. People email me stuff all the time or quote it to me, and I haven't the heart to tell then John never said that. I just say, "He was so wise, wasn't he?"

Example:

If I'm wrong, I'm happy to be wrong. Someone please find the source of this alleged quote. I think it's just made up...

All I want is the truth

Last edited by Maia 66 : Jan 20, 2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:02 AM   #2089
ChrisG134
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
I've always been curious about the whole aspect of John having stage fright. It's interesting to the extent that he was plagued by it because I was reading recently about the recording artist Adele (love her) and how she is often paralyzed with stage fright. Well, someone linked to
This Article that had this quote:

And it made me recall several incidents where John admitted to having severe stage fright, like the Live Peace In Toronto concert and when he performed with Elton John. I often wonder if this was normal for him or if it was the onset of having to perform without his three closest friends on stage with him? I think I only read a few incidences where he was that nervous in the Beatles, but I could be off.

Strange how the last people you'd imagine are the ones who are the most nervous.
This got me thinking about Bruce Springsteen(my other true love)and how he isn't the least bit nervous on stage,but he's nervous in interviews on T.V.While John is the oppisite. Totally cool and calm in interviews,but nervous as hell on stage.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:44 AM   #2090
johncharles
Nowhere Man

Quote:

I'm getting tired of seeing all these quotes floating around the tumblrsphere that are attributed to John but that he never even said. People email me stuff all the time or quote it to me, and I haven't the heart to tell then John never said that. I just say, "He was so wise, wasn't he?"

Example:

If I'm wrong, I'm happy to be wrong. Someone please find the source of this alleged quote. I think it's just made up...
Maia_66, I've always wondered about this quote: "It was said I never loved Cyn. That's far from the truth. We were young, bigheaded, and got into a physical relationship too soon. Perhaps if we took things slow we would have made it. I know we would have made it." - John Lennon 1974

Did John actually say that? I can't find a source for it, but it's always been attributed to John and stated as fact that he said it.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:23 PM   #2091
Maia 66
Sun King

Yeah, I don't know about that quote either. Wishful thinking by a certain sector of fans, I suspect. Adding the "1974" makes it seem even more fanciful to me, since they're saying that he was thinking about Cyn when he was broken up with Yoko.

I do recall reading an interview in which he said that had he not met Yoko he would've stayed married to Cyn. But I also recall the word "bored" being in there as well. Something about John being too lazy to get divorced...

All I want is the truth

Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:09 AM   #2092
johncharles
Nowhere Man

Thanks, Maia_66. I'd always been curious about that quote since I'd heard it, but could never find a source for it.

I recall from reading 'John, The Life' by Philip Norman, that according to Paul McCartney's former girlfriend, Dot Rhone she had an interesting John story.

She said one night when Cyn was away, that John came over to her flat. She might've said she'd gone over to check in on John, but anyways he was drunk, and tried to make a move on Dot. I can't remember if she was still with Paul at the time. She turned him down, and he went on to tell her that if he met another girl he truly liked that he'd leave Cyn without a second thought. Dot never did tell Cyn about that.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:30 AM   #2093
Maia 66
Sun King

Changing the subject....

I saw the stage production of Backbeat last month, and I really enjoyed it. More than the film. I have my criticisms, of course, but overall I thought it achieved whatever objective it may have had... it was good fun and it taught non-Beatle people a bit about our boys in the early days. ("I had always thought the Beatles were mama's boys," commented my born-in-Britain, punk rock-loving companion. "Was I ever wrong!") Historically not that accurate, but close enough... and to their credit, they point out the inaccuracies in the program!

I loooove the Hamburg days, so it was up my alley. Pretty cool that Pete Best's actual niece played Astrid, but, just like in the film, I found the Astrid character annoying. (And my Menlove friends know how much I Astrid!) I don't get why they always make her out to be someone who nagged Stuart to leave the Beatles. Okay, so she realized his true potential was in painting, but I doubt that she was as much of a drag as she was made out to be... She LOVED the boys and thought they were beautiful and cool, which, imo, never gets portrayed accurately.

Anyhow, my other minor annoyance was, of course, John-related. I thought he was more of a caricature than a fully-developed character. He was witty and charismatic and all that... and, of course aggressive and full of youthful angst. Fair enough. But he was ALWAYS aggressive... overly so, like a caricature. I even heard a woman at the end of the show say to her friends, "I didn't know John Lennon was such a brute." (I had to set the record straight with her, which she didn't seem to appreciate... oh well.) They should have at least humanized him by putting all that aggression into some context. But, as a Lennon fan, I s'pose I should just be used to those one-dimensional portrayals of our boy.......

All I want is the truth

Old May 11, 2013, 01:05 PM   #2094
Maia 66
Sun King

Here's another one of those dubious quotes attributed to John and tumbling through Tumblr:

Source, please?! I don't think John said that...

All I want is the truth

Old May 11, 2013, 01:33 PM   #2095
hibgal
Sun King

I don't believe it is by John. If you do a search it is also attributed to Unknown. My guess is somebody thought it sounded like something John might've said and then Voila! it was!

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2015, 09:15 AM   #2096
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I once ran across a John quote: "I'm too smart to say I agree with someone when I really don't." This was many years ago and I'm not sure now where I first read that.

I like that quote about honesty above. If there is ONE THING I just CANNOT ABIDE, it is a sycophant. I don't think John had any use for ass kissing toadies either.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote