BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:18 AM   #1
hibgal
Sun King

Default New Beatles documentary

Ron Howard to Direct New Beatles Doc Focusing on Band's Early Years

Film will include interviews with Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison

By Stacey Anderson July 16, 2014 9:00 AM ET

When Ron Howard was 9 years old, he was already a national television star on The Andy Griffith Show – and there was only one thing he wanted for his next birthday. "The gift that I was begging for was a Beatle wig," he tells Rolling Stone with a laugh. "And on March 1st, 1964, that's what I got: the Beatle wig of my dreams."

Now the Academy Award-winning director is coming full circle with his Fab Four obsession, having signed on to direct and produce an authorized, as-yet-untitled documentary about the touring years of the band’s career (approx. 1960-1966), a period in which the Beatles crossed the globe, sparked Beatlemania and released several classic albums (including A Hard Day’s Night and Rubber Soul). For it, he will interview surviving members Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, as well as talk with Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison (wife of the late George Harrison).

"What's so compelling to me is the perspective that we have now, the chance to really understand the impact that they had on the world," Howard says. "That six-year period is such a dramatic transformation in terms of global culture and these remarkable four individuals, who were both geniuses and also entirely relatable. That duality is something that is going to be very interesting to explore."

Howard is joined by Nigel Sinclair, the Grammy-winning producer behind the documentaries George Harrison: Living in the Material World and No Direction Home: Bob Dylan, as well as the producers Brian Grazer (Apollo 13, Get on Up) and Scott Pascucci (George Harrison). They will have access to the vast archives of Apple Corps, the Beatles’ company, as well as incorporate fan-sourced amateur video footage to recreate previously unseen concerts. It's Howard’s second music documentary, following last year’s Jay-Z festival film Made in America.

"We are going to be able to take the Super 8 footage that we found, that was all shot silent. We'll not only be able to digitally repair a lot of that, but we've also been finding the original recordings," explains Howard. "We can now sync it up and create a concert experience so immersive and so engaging, I believe you're going to actually feel like you're somewhere in the Sixties, seeing what it was like to be there, feeling it and hearing it. And as a film director, that's a fantastic challenge."

Sinclair says the team has already unearthed some surprising footage from the Beatles’ final concert at San Francisco's Candlestick Park in 1966. "Their last concert in ’66, when they were probably the most famous people on the planet, [they] ended up carrying their own amps onstage. I think that’s almost emblematic of the charm of this story," he says. Also a longtime Beatles fan, he saw the band in Glasgow in 1964. "It was a memory to treasure."

The film will also explore the "multigenerational quality" of Beatles fandom, according to Howard. "I hope we find some of that in the footage," he says. "We may have a shot of a boy or a girl very early in their life at a concert, and then we may be able to find them today and talk to them, and talk to their grandchildren and see what their relationship is with the Beatles, and understand how multiple generations find tremendous value and relevance in their music."

The documentary is scheduled for a tentative late-2015 release, and Howard says he is eager to begin interviewing McCartney and Starr. Turns out, he has a history with his heroes; half of the band met him on the set of his hit 1970s sitcom Happy Days. "We got word that John Lennon wanted to come by and bring his son [Julian], and he was a big Fonzie fan. I managed to sneak in a picture," he recalls. "He was graciously cool, but mostly it was for his kid, which we all really appreciated."

Howard adds, chuckling, "A year or so later, Ringo and Keith Moon wandered by. I don't know what they were doing in the lot, and I'm not even sure they knew where they were, but they seemed happy to be there."

Link to article

Picture from The Mirror article which is pretty much identical to the one above published in Rolling Stone and other mags.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:22 AM   #2
hibgal
Sun King

Maybe I'm a cynic but my first, spontaneous reaction was "What else is there to tell???" How do you guys feel about it? Excited? Blasé? Uninterested? All of the above?

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:53 PM   #3
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

I can't wait to hear Olivia's and Yoko's insight on the Beatles' early years.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:04 PM   #4
bobdude
Dr. Robert

I'm looking forward to this documentary. Probably because it is in the hands of 'Opie'. He has an excellent track records as I'm sure you are aware of. The 'live' aspect of their career hasn't really been flushed out yet. Movie wise. There is a book out now about their touring career. (then again, what part of the Beatles isn't there a bleeding booook for?) I think Apple had been asking for any bits of film from the public for this project for quite some time.
Yeah, it might be overkill for some, but after many, many years of doing this, I am eager for more. So, bring it on! Let's get it all out there. Shea, Let It Be, Hollywood Bowl. At least before I die! lol!
Old Aug 01, 2014, 10:41 PM   #5
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama View Post
You hit it, RR. Especially Olivia must have much to contribute seeing George met her in 1974.

Of course, if any ex-wife's should be talking it should be Cynthia, as she was actually there before The Beatles was more than a dream in John's head. Naturally that won't happen with Yoko onboard for the project. Sure, Cyn's book was a disappointment but I believe a skillful interviewer could steer her away from the 'poor me' bits and make her concentrate on her band memories. When she manages to do so in her book, she's quite interesting.

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Aug 02, 2014, 05:14 AM   #6
Bongo
Nowhere Man

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
Maybe I'm a cynic but my first, spontaneous reaction was "What else is there to tell???" How do you guys feel about it? Excited? Blasé? Uninterested? All of the above?
I would tend to agree, but it's all the unseen live footage from random people that will make it different from anything else we've seen over & over.
Old Aug 02, 2014, 08:03 PM   #7
bearkat77
Administrator

I respect the work that Ron Howard has done and I'm sure this documentary will be one of the best made.
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2014, 11:26 AM   #8
peanut333
Wild Honey Pie

I once saw footage on YT of them at an Indiana State Fair performing, that was interesting. Not to mention when the travel show Globe Trekker did a segment on Liverpool, a travel guide stated that there was a rumor that a 3 year old John Lennon told his aunt he wanted to be in a band when he grew up. He and Mimi were listening to a band play at nearby Strawberry Fields.

Last edited by peanut333 : Aug 03, 2014 at 11:27 AM.
peanut333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2014, 07:36 AM   #9
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

That's a documentary well worth watching!

One of the things I like about YT is that you can watch and enjoy just about any Beatle footage you can think of!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2014, 02:28 PM   #10
Winston O' Boogie
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama View Post
... ummm ... as if they were there ...

.... and why are'nt the asking Barbara

Yoko had claimed in meeting John she knew nothing of The Beatles ...

They should contact Cyn and Patti perhaps they would have more to say ....

This documentray seems a little forced ... I've heard it's supposed to be about their touring years., and well Ron Howard is the welfare Steven Spielberg ... hopefully there will not be any cheap emotions to blow sunshine up your skirts as he is known for that in his films after all he is Opie
.... his films have always been cotton candy they disolved quicking after viewing ... they just don't stick in the memory.

Last edited by Winston O' Boogie : Dec 11, 2014 at 02:33 PM.
Winston O' Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote