BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Nov 12, 2002, 03:29 PM   #21
lennon4
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to lennon4
Default Re: John\'s Sad Love

I don't know what John's intentions were when he wrote in his diary, but I know that a lot of people intend for their children or relatives to have the book when they pass on. That way, their lives would be documented in history. So many things would've been lost in history had it not been for diaries.

Again, I'm not promoting the exploitation of John's diary. However, who are we to say that he'd never intended for someone to read it...even if it were just for Sean when he was older?

What I would give to have a diary from one of my grandparents...

-lennon4

------------------

Imagine. (it's here)

~All You Need Is Love~

*Need Beatles Art? E-mail Me!*

[This Message Has Been Edited By lennon4 On November 12, 2002 04:31 PM]
lennon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2002, 08:35 PM   #22
Apple Scruff
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By angelgodiva:

I certainly agree that it was a severe intrusion for anyone to write a book based on John's private thoughts,and that ideally this should never have been done, but at the same time I have to admit to being curious about just who "A" might be...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In your case, Angel, I think you have every right to be curious about who "A" is...But for someone like me, for example, its just not my business to know all the facts about John's life. And what I mean by this, as to not offend any of my dear friends here who most likely (and I can't deny being so myself) are intrigued by the idea of knowing something "new" about John, the writers really do not forsake anything. They go into every detail, sometimes, of this man's life.

I just think there is a limit, a line, that needs to be drawn somewhere. And I don't really like to cross over that. John was as human as all of us, but because he was larger than life, all the things he did-whether good or bad- appear to be larger than life, in consequence. I think these people should just let the poor man rest in peace. Be grateful you had him, that's all I'll say.

------------------
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

[This Message Has Been Edited By Apple Scruff On November 12, 2002 09:35 PM]

[This Message Has Been Edited By Apple Scruff On November 12, 2002 09:37 PM]
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2002, 09:25 PM   #23
Sexy_Sadie
Mr. Moonlight

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Apple Scruff:

I just think there is a limit, a line, that needs to be drawn somewhere. And I don't really like to cross over that. John was as human as all of us, but because he was larger than life, all the things he did-whether good or bad- appear to be larger than life, in consequence. I think these people should just let the poor man rest in peace. Be grateful you had him, that's all I'll say.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Very well put, same with you FT. Yes, perhaps John had meant for some of his diary to be passed down to his family, but I'm sure he wouldn't want it being exploited in this way, with people all over the world reading it. I think if he HAD wanted it read, he would have written his autobiography, but he didn't so we can't rely on this. I'm sure when he was writing it, that was his PRIVATE santuary, somewhere where he could finally get away from it all. Of course I would be interested in his innermost thoughts - who wouldn't? He was such a complex guy. But reading what wasn't intended for me to read would be hurtful to his memory, and I'd choose not to.

------------------
"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see..."
Sexy_Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2014, 05:29 AM   #24
Bongo
Nowhere Man

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magill View Post
Sounds to me as if maybe he was contemplating leaving Yoko for May. Alas, we'll never really know.
FBI known fact. Yoko had him murdered because of it!
Old May 21, 2014, 06:14 PM   #25
Crisstti
Fool On The Hill

I don't know. On the one hand, it does seem invasive. On the other, an interest in privacy is only really had by the living, and diaries and letters are an important historical source. Also, it does seem like most people do want or intend for their diaries to be read after they die. Why put such things on writing otherwise, when you know it will survive you?.

That said, I have a book of the letters written between Dostoyevski (probably my favourite writer) and his brother, and after my sister commented the book was invasive, I felt guilty and still haven't resumed reading it (and this was years ago).
Crisstti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2014, 02:42 PM   #26
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I just read a collection of letters by President Kennedy to numerous people. The book is an epistolary trail starting from a letter he wrote to his dad about raising his allowance to letters he wrote throughout his career. I didn't view this as an invasion of privacy, but rather an interesting walk down a historical paper trail.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2014, 02:46 PM   #27
peanut333
Wild Honey Pie

Since according to insiders, May provided unconditional love to the late Beatle, what kind of love did Yoko have for him. I was never a John and Yoko fan, but from I have read on the board, it seems she might have been sort of a control freak. No doubt she loved him anyway. May did do a lot of nice things.
peanut333 is offline   Reply With Quote