BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Act Naturally

Old Jul 10, 2014, 02:30 PM   #21
Bongo
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan P View Post
I wouldn't call it a cash cow at all, especially not compared to some other things such as the Japan or US albums box sets. The picture has been fully remastered with the latest 4K technology (there IS a difference between this and the first blu-ray), and has a stack of special features not found elsewhere before. Additionally, the original blu-ray was only available in a handful of countries, so this release is the first time it has been released in high-def in most regions.
Agree with you on the box sets, but doubt it's any better than the first BD. It does suck that it wasn't released everywhere though, as it should have been.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 06:47 PM   #22
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
Agree with you on the box sets, but doubt it's any better than the first BD.
The original BD doesn't present the movie in its proper aspect ratio, so that alone is reason to upgrade. Plus, there's a newly-created 5.1 mix by Giles Martin. Even just a cursory comparison of screencaps, confirms this new release is objectively superior to the old one, not to mention numerous reviews.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:22 AM   #23
Bongo
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama View Post
The original BD doesn't present the movie in its proper aspect ratio, so that alone is reason to upgrade. Plus, there's a newly-created 5.1 mix by Giles Martin. Even just a cursory comparison of screencaps, confirms this new release is objectively superior to the old one, not to mention numerous reviews.
I guess we were spoiled before the rest of the world, as we got the full screen 16x9 aspect ration and 5.1 mix. And extra "special features".

I'm sure the new one is slightly better, but not $30 plus better than what I already have.

Last edited by Bongo : Jul 14, 2014 at 10:26 AM.
Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:51 PM   #24
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
I guess we were spoiled before the rest of the world, as we got the full screen 16x9 aspect ration and 5.1 mix. And extra "special features".
The proper aspect ratio is 1.75:1, which is less common and perhaps that's why the folks behind the original Blu-Ray (and 2002 DVD) went with 1.66:1 (not unlike how The McCartney Years DVD set needlessly cropped 4:3 videos to 16:9 because people were becoming accustomed to widescreen). And again, this is a newly-created 5.1 mix from the original elements, not bastardized from the mono soundtrack like the previous release. And on top of that, the original mono soundtrack is included on the new version.

I'm not trying to convince you to upgrade, but I feel like it's important that prospective buyers realize there are significant differences and that one version is objectively superior to the other, and they can make their decision based on that information.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 05:16 PM   #25
Bongo
Nowhere Man

I hear what your saying Ringo, but those thing are really marginal to me, for something I might watch once again for a long time. I actually prefer the full screen over the 1.75.1 aspect, even if it is the proper aspect. Doesn't change much.

Unless I only owned the VHS or they actually colourized the movie, it's hardly worth the $30. More of another money grab.

Last edited by Bongo : Jul 14, 2014 at 05:19 PM.
Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote