BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I've Just Seen A Face

Old Jan 04, 2006, 07:55 PM   #1
shizukuchan
Apple Scruff

Default Rishikesh photos

This image reminded me how much I liked looking at pictures of the Beatles during their time in Rishikesh: http://www.georgeharrison.de/Beatles...esh%201968.jpg

When I finished watching the Beatles Anthology on video, I kept going back to the episode when they were in Rishikesh. In spite of the marital problems, trouble with Maharishi, etc., there was something about about the whole atmosphere of that town that fascinated me and rather burned itself in my memory. I keep thinking of that place as the most important period of magic and innocence for the Beatles.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else knows of some places online where there are pictures of the Beatles in Rishikesh. I could just as well look it up on Google, but maybe somebody here remembers seeing some of the better or maybe rarer images.

The honeybee knows the way.

Everything is funny.
Everything is true.
Funny, but true.
shizukuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2006, 08:33 PM   #2
FPSHOT
Sun King

The best site I know of is the one from Paul Saltzman

http://www.thebeatlesinindia.com/gal...n_gallery.html

who btw has a very interesting box set out

http://www.thebeatlesinindia.com/

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2006, 08:44 PM   #3
lovely rita mcc
Dr. Robert

Send a message via MSN to lovely rita mcc Send a message via Yahoo to lovely rita mcc

hell! sorry, i can´t find a place where there are lots of those pictures and some that i´ve never seen, anyway, i´m leaving some pics here.

A certain softness In your eyes Fascinates me
More than I ever thought it would
lovely rita mcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2006, 08:45 PM   #4
lovely rita mcc
Dr. Robert

Send a message via MSN to lovely rita mcc Send a message via Yahoo to lovely rita mcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT

who btw has a very interesting box set out

http://www.thebeatlesinindia.com/

oh yes! that was the place

A certain softness In your eyes Fascinates me
More than I ever thought it would
lovely rita mcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2006, 10:09 PM   #5
sadie
Sun King

Been to Rishikesh and its still a magical place.
sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2006, 04:27 AM   #6
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

I've met Paul Saltzman - nice guy. He also thought I had a great singing voice, which was nice. :-)
Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2006, 06:01 AM   #7
See_How_They_Run
Rocky Raccoon

heh heh....Donovan was in the 1st set of pictures...didn't know he was there...I knew Mike Love was, but not him!

Isn't This Where We Came In?
See_How_They_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2006, 06:05 AM   #8
See_How_They_Run
Rocky Raccoon

"Like The Beatles, Donovan developed a strong interest in eastern mysticism, and in early 1968 he traveled to India, where he spent several weeks at the ashram of the Maharishi in Rishikesh."-Wikipedia

I knew it! It is Donovan!

"He collaborated with The Beatles, contributing lyrics (and uncredited backing vocals) to the song "Yellow Submarine", which was recorded at Abbey Road Studios on 26 May 1966." -Same Article

Didn't Know that!

Isn't This Where We Came In?
See_How_They_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2006, 06:13 AM   #9
Magill
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbidge
I've met Paul Saltzman - nice guy. He also thought I had a great singing voice, which was nice. :-)
We met him at the Fest last year. He's a very nice and interesting man! We chatted for quite awhile. He didn't sing to us, though.
Old Jan 05, 2006, 06:31 AM   #10
sadie
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by See_How_They_Run
"Like The Beatles, Donovan developed a strong interest in eastern mysticism, and in early 1968 he traveled to India, where he spent several weeks at the ashram of the Maharishi in Rishikesh."-Wikipedia

I knew it! It is Donovan!

"He collaborated with The Beatles, contributing lyrics (and uncredited backing vocals) to the song "Yellow Submarine", which was recorded at Abbey Road Studios on 26 May 1966." -Same Article

Didn't Know that!
he was also dating Jennie Boyd, ie Jennifer Juniper.
Old Jan 06, 2006, 10:37 PM   #11
shizukuchan
Apple Scruff

Oh, thanks for all the pictures!

The couple of b&w photos where they are crossing the bridge are pretty interesting to me. If I remember correctly, there are two small suspension bridges crossing the Ganges river in Rishikesh: Ram Jhula and Lakshman Jhula ("jhula" means bridge, I think). I've often imagined crossing those bridges. Maybe I have some empathy with Muslims who want to go to Mecca before they die - I'd also like to cross those bridges in Rishikesh sometime in this life.

I also like any photos which show the water, sand and trees of Rishikesh. There's something about the natural landscape that really touches me. It's a curious convergence of environments. There are snowy mountains nearby, but the overall climate of Rishikesh is moderate. The Himalayas were under the sea a long time ago, so the marine environment has reincarnated into a sort of riverside beach area. So many old geological and ecological upheavals must have happened, with the Ganges river constantly cutting through it all and keeping things fresh and new.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but the b&w with John and Cynthia (I think that's Cynthia) looks like they were less than affectionate with each other at the moment. Somewhat like the chill between Prince Charles and Princess Diana in some of the footage as their marriage fell apart.

Did George meet Srila Prabhupada in Rishikesh? Even if he didn't, oh well, Srila Prabhupada is another Indian guru, so I guess that's close enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT

These are great pictures. The sense of intimacy is the best part. The Beatles look very candid and natural, and there's not much of them "striking a pose".

Actually, I found out about that site some weeks ago thanks to the "Beatles in Rishikesh" thread. It was still cool to see the photos again, but I still felt the big disappointment in thinking that there were so few photos. It's probably an unreasonable expectation, but I keep thinking there are hundreds more photos floating around somewhere. Silly, heh?

The photos of John were the most interesting for me. At first, I kept thinking that John looked like he was in a foul mood most of the time. And I dunno, but maybe there was a sense in which he wasn't having much fun. But I also couldn't help but feel that there was something like a youthful melancholy about him (John has a way of looking grumpy and cute at the same time). Physically, I thought he looked more sanguine than during the clean-cut years of Beatlemania, and definitely more so than the lean and somewhat austere body and complexion he had later when Yoko came into his life. But emotionally, in spite of the lack of John's smile in the photos, I somehow thought that there was a light and playful aura about him. I suppose all this sounds a bit contradictory, but maybe it's because a lot of good and bad vibes were going around together during the Beatles' stay in Rishikesh.

The honeybee knows the way.

Everything is funny.
Everything is true.
Funny, but true.
shizukuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2006, 10:48 PM   #12
sadie
Sun King

Rishikesh is exactly as you described, I stayed there for a few weeks back in 95 and from what I can gather it has changed little since 1968, you cannot see the snowy peaks from there but they are not far away, maybe a 2 hour journey by bus.

According to the new Cyn book, it wasn't a happy time for she and John, apparently he was supposed to have been secretly waiting for letters from Yoko but getting up early and running to the post office, he also told Cyn he wanted a separate room.
Old Jan 06, 2006, 11:15 PM   #13
FPSHOT
Sun King

Here is a good site which many pics, some of them are already up here but it may be nice to have the link, it is a great site

http://thebeatles.ru/gayatri/beatles...ia/page_01.htm

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2006, 11:31 PM   #14
sadie
Sun King

Great Pics, thanks!
Old May 19, 2014, 08:52 AM   #15
Georgie Girl
Sun King

Is this the same ashram where the Beatles were?

This was from International Yoga Festival in 2013.

The west is
the best.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote