BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Peregrine9
Sgt. Pepper

Default Paul McCartney Closes Olympics London Opening Ceremony With 'Hey Jude' : updated

Huffington Post Entertainment
7/29/2012
Paul McCartney, Olympics: Legend Closes London 2012's Opening Ceremony With 'Hey Jude'

Sir Paul McCartney was one of the many famous faces to take the stage during the opening ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics. With him, the legendary Beatle brought a chorus of cheers and beaming smiles to Danny Boyle's "Isles of Wonder."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1710998.html

2012 Olympics Paul McCartney LONDON ' Hey Jude' LIVE ON STAGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGZeHmneDC4

Last edited by Peregrine9 : Jul 30, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
Peregrine9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:58 PM   #2
beatlelover45223

Poor Paul, after a little over an hour, I gave up, I do have the opening ceremony taped, I was bored to tears except for Rowan Atkins/Mr. Bean, that was enough for me for one sitting, will try to slog through the rest a litte at a time, Paul was probably the other bright spot in the ceremony, I noticed they were speeding up all the athletes/countries as they came through, poor people worked so hard to get there, give them all their moment to shine!

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Peregrine9
Sgt. Pepper

Default Paul closes Olympics opening ceremony wit ' Hey Jude'

I understand how you feel Beatlelover45223.I fell a sleep after the second hour.I woke up in time to watch him perform.He was on quite late where I live on the west coast.These video's are for all of us that had wait all night to watch Paul perform.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw6_w...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtAIC...eature=related

Last edited by Peregrine9 : Jul 28, 2012 at 09:16 PM.
Peregrine9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:10 PM   #4
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Best Olympics Opening Ceremony ever!! Dont know why people are complaining - most people are wanting a knighthood for Danny Boyle for it.

Maybe a little too british for some?

"take me to the river, drop me in the water..."
- David Byrne
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:18 AM   #5
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

I must blindly love England, because I thought it was the best Opening Ceremony I had ever seen. The only part I was a little "eh" about was the "love in the digital age" thing they had, but even the bulk of that was awesome. I adored the way they opened it with that little boy singing "Jerusalem" and then flipping it over to Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Loved the theme of green grass throughout and how they planted the countries' flags on that little hill. And the symbolism of lighting the cauldron was the most meaningful I had ever seen. CWW, you might be right, maybe it was too British for some. But it's in England, so that was what I was wanting. It was England being England and anything less would've been a disappointment. I LOVED it!

Oh, and Paul was swell too. :)

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:42 AM   #6
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

I was soooooo tired but stuck it out and waited up for our Paul. I thought he looked great although I couldn't really hear him since I had the volume down so low because of a sleeping baby! I read some TERRIBLE comments today about him on the Daily Mail website but hey I reckon that for all the hundreds that hate him and say rude rubbish about him, there are MILLIONS of us around the world that love the bones of him.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:03 AM   #7
johnnymain
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlelover45223 View Post
Poor Paul, after a little over an hour, I gave up, ....

As he was listed as closing the opening ceremony, I switched over to BBC1 for the last 45 minutes or so and caught his good (if short) appearance.

There was no way I was going to sit through 3 hours of rubbish just to see Paul, and juding by the comments from my friends, I was saved from the boredom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinluv182 View Post
I must blindly love England, because I thought it was the best Opening Ceremony I had ever seen. .... It was England being England and anything less would've been a disappointment. I LOVED it!..
What about Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland?

Remember that they are Great Britain's games and not just England's.

www.metaltalk.net for Daily Metal News, Reviews and Opinions

Last edited by johnnymain : Jul 30, 2012 at 03:07 AM.
johnnymain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:40 PM   #8
Peregrine9
Sgt. Pepper

Default 6 Paul McCartney news updates and articles : Olympics

Instead of starting a new thread.Since these articles are about Paul's performance at the Olympics. I'm just going to add them to this thread.

Huffington Post Entertainment
7/29/2012
Paul McCartney, Olympics: Legend Closes London 2012's Opening Ceremony With 'Hey Jude'

Sir Paul McCartney was one of the many famous faces to take the stage during the opening ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics. With him, the legendary Beatle brought a chorus of cheers and beaming smiles to Danny Boyle's "Isles of Wonder."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1710998.html

related article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Ceremony.html

Examiner
July 28, 2012
Paul McCartney on the Olympics opening ceremony: 'terrific, great, really cool'

Paul McCartney, whose Twitter account rarely is from him personally, made an exception to the rule to comment on the Olympics opening ceremony he played on Friday night.

http://www.examiner.com/article/paul...at-really-cool

London24
7/30/2012
Did Macca mess up lyrics at London Olympics ceremony ?

He may have written the song and even played its famous refrain at last Friday Games’ opening ceremony – but Paul McCartney admits he forgets the Hey Jude lyrics.

http://www.london24.com/entertainmen...mony_1_1464168

BBC News Devon
7/30/2012
London 2012: Paul McCartney wishes Exmouth sailors luck

Two Olympic sailors from Devon have been sent a message of support by Beatle Sir Paul McCartney.Team GB sailors Stevie Morrison and Ben Rhodes, from Exmouth, received the backing as their boat, Lovely Rita, is also the name of a Beatles track.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-19047117

The Guardian
7/30/2012
Olympic opening ceremony stars earn token £1

Sir Paul McCartney and other stars who performed at Danny Boyle's Olympic extravaganza were paid just £1.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...ny-stars-pound
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:01 AM   #9
erinluv182
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymain View Post

Remember that they are Great Britain's games and not just England's.
Well, I've not been to those places, only to England, thus my comment about blindly loving England. Though I would wager I'd love those places as well, with what I know of them.

And, ok, yes...good for them for putting the focus on GB, but the games are in London, which is England to me.

Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:38 AM   #10
johnnymain
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
...And, ok, yes...good for them for putting the focus on GB, but the games are in London, which is England to me.
That's not quite true, as some events are being held at venues in England (including Manchester and Newcastle as well as London) and are as far afield as Cardiff (Wales) and Glasgow (Scotland) so it's not all being held in England, let alone London.

It really annoys me when talk about things in "Britain" as just being in "England". Great Britain (aka the UK) is made up of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales.

Rant over.

Last edited by johnnymain : Aug 01, 2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:44 AM   #11
A. Pacemaker
Fool On The Hill

The olympics are hosted by a city, not a country, hence 'London' olympics. Last time I checked, London was in England buddy! QUOTE=johnnymain;1109716]As he was listed as closing the opening ceremony, I switched over to BBC1 for the last 45 minutes or so and caught his good (if short) appearance.

There was no way I was going to sit through 3 hours of rubbish just to see Paul, and juding by the comments from my friends, I was saved from the boredom.

Remember that they are Great Britain's games and not just England's.[/quote]
A. Pacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:02 AM   #12
erinluv182
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymain View Post
That's not quite true, as some events are being held at venues in England (including Manchester and Newcastle as well as London) and are as far afield as Cardiff (Wales) and Glasgow (Scotland) so it's not all being held in England, let alone London.

It really annoys me when talk about things in "Britain" as just being in "England". Great Britain (aka the UK) is made up of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales.

Rant over.
Ok, seriously dude? All I said is that I love England, and when you attacked me for that, I explained that I have not been to other parts of the British Isles. I see you're from Scotland and I mean no disrespect to your country because it looks lovely and I'm sure I would fall in love with it if I visit. Give me a freaking break. I could be like some of my fellow Americans who look at me like I'm a freak when I say how much I enjoy travelling overseas, because they can't fathom why I would ever roam outside of what they consider to be the best country on earth. Trust me, I know that you're part of Britain.

Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:40 AM   #13
seltaebno9
Apple Scruff

Whilst it is true that technically great Britain is made up of 4 countries, The Scots have their own Parliament, as do the Welsh and the Northern Irish and all want independence.

So perhaps we poor discriminated English can be forgiven for misusing the phrase.....
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:35 AM   #14
johnnymain
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Ok, seriously dude? All I said is that I love England, and when you attacked me for that....
To be fair, I didn't "attack" you - I merely pointed out that the Olympics are not just being held in England but all over the UK. Sorry if you felt like I was out to get you, but I wasn't - I was just pointing out that Olympic events were taking place all over Great Britain and not just England.