BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old May 25, 2012, 04:42 PM   #21
wildewoman
Taxman

slaps hands over eyes, the visual equivelent of putting one's fingers in one's ears and going "Lalalalalalalalla I can't HEAR YOU lalalalalalalala

Oh erinlove i can't see you lalalalalalalala
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 06:26 PM   #22
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinluv182 View Post
You said this:

To me, this was lumping all conservatives together with Limbaugh. And I hate being lumped together with that guy. .
Once again,it's a misinterpretation on your part. (I can't figure out how you even came to it). I never lumped conservatives with Rush. I just pointed out the hypocrisy of how many decades Rush insulted, belittled, name-called and degraded people he didn't agree with and how when the left starts doing it, the right whine.
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 06:16 PM   #23
wildewoman
Taxman

Default Ok, I'm sorry, I can't help myself....

ANYONE who would be the ringleader of a group of guys who would gay bash an effeminate student in high school and forcibly cut his hair while the kid is crying-- and when said ringleader is called on the behavior years later, and he laughs about it--is a freaking sociopath as far as I'm concerned.

Add that to what he did to his dog and I have no respect for that man. At all.
Old May 26, 2012, 08:50 PM   #24
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Because young John Lennon was famous for his staunch support of gay rights.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 06:22 AM   #25
wildewoman
Taxman

Default I knew someone would say that.

You know, you're absolutely correct, ringo rama. He wasn't. But, you know, he grew. In one of his last interviews, I believe with Andy Peebles, he expressed a great deal of remorse and shame for bashing on Bob Wooler and even wondering aloud if, at the time, his actions may have been prompted by his fear that he himself was gay. He certainly wasn't LAUGHING about it, like someone else I could mention.

And I sincerely doubt he'd strap a dog to the top of a car for hours.
Old May 27, 2012, 09:59 AM   #26
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama View Post
Because young John Lennon was famous for his staunch support of gay rights.
Once again... a false equivalency. And just a little bit of "I know I am but what are you?" thrown in for good measure. Classic rightist response.

I just don't get why people want to defend such deplorable behavior or dismiss it with, "We all did stupid things at age 17." Of course we all did, but most of us were never so Entitled Rich Boy mean... and most of us can express regret publicly for such actions... and most of us don't repeatedly make faux pas after faux pas, continually revealing the fact that we are totally out of touch with the common person and have no real clue about what's going on right now in our country with people who are struggling.

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 12:04 PM   #27
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Default Well said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildewoman;1105671 But, you know, he [I
grew[/i]. In one of his last interviews, I believe with Andy Peebles, he expressed a great deal of remorse and shame for bashing on Bob Wooler and even wondering aloud if, at the time, his actions may have been prompted by his fear that he himself was gay.
Yeah, that's absolutely true, wildewoman

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 01:19 PM   #28
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

I'm not justifying Romney's actions or denying John's growth. Hell, I know I regret some things I said in the high school locker room. But that post had nothing to do with the topic at hand. It was just a random attack. I fully admit that my John comparison wasn't apt and apologize for that, but at the same time I don't understand how what Mitt Romney did to a dog is relevant to a topic about the possible political leanings of John Lennon in 1980. Again, it just seemed like unprompted attacking for the sake of attacking, two days after wildewoman said she was done with the topic.

Menlove crew, you know I love you guys...but you don't always seem to appreciate opposing views. And I fully admit to often being overly antagonizing, but I really think this area is in need of alternate perspectives sometimes.

Yay!!!!!!
Old May 27, 2012, 01:54 PM   #29
wildewoman
Taxman

Touche, but I didn't bring up Romney and pooh-pooh his high school behavior and his later laughing it off, as nothing. When someone intimated it was no big deal, yeah, I took it personally. (It wasn't the fact that he did it, but that he showed no remorse years later, that really bothered me about that incident, BTW.) And I broke my own vow.

For breaking that vow, I acknowledge my incorrectness. Especially the dog.

Last edited by wildewoman : May 27, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old May 27, 2012, 02:08 PM   #30
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

It's cool--I don't know how many times I've vowed that I was done with Beatlelinks after either overreacting to something or one of my biannual "I need to cut down on my Internet time" reflections, only to return a few months later because I miss the place. For all the craziness, biases, and arguments--all three of which I admittedly contribute from time to time--it really is the best place to discuss my favorite band with some cool people. :)

Yay!!!!!!
Old May 27, 2012, 03:31 PM   #31
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama View Post
Menlove crew, you know I love you guys...but you don't always seem to appreciate opposing views.
Oh, I absolutely understand why you feel that way! We are very opinionated... and not at all shy about publicizing our opinions, that's for certain! But if you notice, we always try to keep the discussion civilized... passionate and strong, but civilized. Not resorting to personal attacks or anything mean-spirited. (Unlike others on BL that I have encountered.) Just a bit of sarcasm. Sometimes more than others, but hey... we're Lennon fans!!

But just because we argue with other viewpoints doesn't mean we don't welcome them. On the contrary. At the same time, however, I feel that if someone is going to take a strong contrary position to mine, then they should be able to defend it with logic and with facts. So, by all means... Disagree away!!

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Last edited by Maia 66 : May 27, 2012 at 04:26 PM.
Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 05:00 PM   #32
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
Once again... a false equivalency. And just a little bit of "I know I am but what are you?" thrown in for good measure. Classic rightist response.

I just don't get why people want to defend such deplorable behavior or dismiss it with, "We all did stupid things at age 17." Of course we all did, but most of us were never so Entitled Rich Boy mean... and most of us can express regret publicly for such actions... and most of us don't repeatedly make faux pas after faux pas, continually revealing the fact that we are totally out of touch with the common person and have no real clue about what's going on right now in our country with people who are struggling.
When Brian Died, John felt bad for all the mean jokes he made at him for being gay. and rumors of John being bisexual have been around for decades.

Plus, the bullying acts of this presidental candidate is deplorable, but then Obama sold out our food supply to Monsanto. There is no hope.
and yes, both parties are out of touch.
Old May 27, 2012, 05:05 PM   #33
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
. we always try to keep the discussion civilized... passionate and strong, but civilized. Not resorting to personal attacks or anything mean-spirited. (Unlike others on BL that I have encountered.) Just a bit of sarcasm. Sometimes more than others, but hey... we're Lennon fans!!

God, I know. I was talking about being bullied and abused in my childhood on another thread in BL and yes, some were sympathetic, but two people were so nasty refuting my claims of abuse saying they couldn't have happened since they lived in the same state as I did during the same timeframe.
Huh?
What the hell kind of argument is that?

At least here, it gets mostly interesting.
Old May 27, 2012, 06:14 PM   #34
hibgal
Sun King

Default You can't beat the system

With a two party system how many choices do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfittoy View Post
There is no hope.
and yes, both parties are out of touch.
I agree with this. Many years ago there was a 'You can't beat the system' bit in MAD magazine and I still recall the one about politics. I went something like "You can't beat the system because no truly honest person can put up the money needed to become elected!" Sad to say I've yet to see that comment refuted.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 06:04 AM   #35
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

I've checked into the third parties and none of them would make life better for me either. The Libertarians are into choosing on every issue, but they are also into social Darwinism and I'm on the low end of that scale. they also believe in lhaving insurance companies run things. I know I asked them about how they would handle a Katrina-type disaster with no government and they told me Insurance.
Yeah, good plan-not.

the Green Party, well most of the Michigan candidates don't hold jobs. they don't know my needs as a working class person.
The Tea Party? Well, I'm bi, polygamous, polyamorous, a food activist, not a judeo christian, not rascist...they've got nothing to offer me either.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 08:00 PM   #36
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post
ANYONE who would be the ringleader of a group of guys who would gay bash an effeminate student in high school and forcibly cut his hair while the kid is crying-- and when said ringleader is called on the behavior years later, and he laughs about it--is a freaking sociopath as far as I'm concerned.

Add that to what he did to his dog and I have no respect for that man. At all.
I agree with you 100% there. That is just so cruel and the man the Mittster cropped has since died. He died in 2004.

What he did to that man was traumatic and so damn cruel. That is just not something or someone I can respect.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 02, 2012, 07:57 AM   #37
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Personally, I think Romney should actually give a five-digit figure to an anti-bullying campaign.
He apologized but there was two things wrong with it:
1: sorrys don't mend. Cliche but very very true. apologies mean nothing after the fact. (the words to say are, "I won't do it again.")\
2: he never said the name of the people he hurt. In a way, he dehumanized them, kept them distant objects from himself by doing such.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 09:49 AM   #38
wildewoman
Taxman

Default Straying far afield of the original topic, but interesting nevertheless

You know what would be hilarious? Romney giving $550K to "It Gets Better." It would be funny on two different levels:
1) To have Romney give such a chunk of change to Dan Savage's group; and,
2) To have Dan Savage accept money from Mitt Romney.

That would cause me to play "Nobody Told Me" about 10 times in a row. At least.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 12:14 PM   #39
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

That is good. We should start a petition for Romney to do just that.

I once wrote to Dan Savage. He printed my question and accused me of being a guy lying about being a girl. Funny since I have had gender issues since I was about 8 but I'd love to meet him and say, "Hello, Dan. See? I really am not a guy."

and he didn't even answer my question on top of that.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:11 PM   #40
Vektor
Fool On The Hill

First off, nobody here knows what John Lennon was thinking politically in 1980, and all I hear is uninformed opinions like "no way he was a Republican" and that means nothing at all! The fact that he disliked Jimmy Carter did not make him a "secret Republican", but he was probably like most Americans in 1980 who wanted Jimmy Carter out of office as he was a weak and ineffective president and lost the election to Reagan in a landslide. Lennon had met Reagan and they had a long discussion with Reagan explaining to Lennon the rules of American football and this was coming from Frank Gifford who certainly had no reason to lie about this. There are also a number of accounts of Lennon introducing himself to Jimmy Carter during one of the Inaugural balls and Carter simply standing there staring at him blankly, Lennon then tried to clarify his remarks by adding "I was in the Beatles" while Carter continued to stare blankly at a by now mortified Lennon. By the way, these accounts don't originate with Fred Seamen. If indeed Lennon disliked Jimmy Carter personally, which given the circumstances of their sole encounter in 1977 would be totally understandable, personally like Ronald Reagan, and that he had soured on Jimmy Carter by 1980, which many Democrats and social liberals had at the time, none of this should be particularly surprising. I certainly doubt Lennon would be beholden to any particular political party, but that's my personal opinion. In his time, there were many on the left and the right who questioned both Lennon's sincerity about his politics and some who found him quite jarringly uninformed and prone to spouting warmed over leftist cliches, so who knows how truly committed he to leftist causes. The whole "Lennon favored Reagan" thing may or may not be true, but given the times and John's penchant for being unpredictable, it's certainly very plausible. Two pages of posts with people spouting off opinions based on nothing more than their own knee-jerk political nonsense equates to two pages of nothing. I'd be more interested in asking Sean or Yoko a question about this and accept their answer as being as close to definitive as possible! Not Fred Seamen and not us! But none of really knows..period!
Vektor is offline   Reply With Quote