BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old May 21, 2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Peregrine9
Sgt. Pepper

Default John Lennon a Closet Republican? Yeah right

I agree with this article about John's politics.Also about that thief and convicted criminal Fred Seaman, not having credibility.

Daily Kos
May 21, 2012
John Lennon a Closet Republican? Yeah right...

Note: I wrote this back when The Nation article was published and the issue was fresh. I didn't post it for some reason and when I came across it recently, I thought someone might enjoy it. Plus it's always appropriate to smack down republican propaganda. And this is republican propaganda of the most bone-headed kind. Some rightwing republicans are claiming John Lennon as their own. Man ! Talk about revisionist history. What's next? Hunter S. Thompson was a Reagan Democrat? Abbie Hoffman's secret crush on Nixon? Apparently if you're a rightwing republican you get to just make shit up to suit you. It's what they do:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/0...an-Yeah-right-

Last edited by Peregrine9 : May 21, 2012 at 05:10 PM.
Peregrine9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Maia 66
Sun King

At first I thought, "Ay-yay-yay... not this again!" But then I read this:

Quote:
Some rightwing republicans just want to be selfish, petty, mean and cruel without giving up their pathetic pretensions to being hip. Sorry. You can't have it both ways. Either you're a loving, caring and smart human being like John Lennon and so many others on the left, or you are the opposite, in which case you are not, and will, in the absence of major personal transformation, never be anything even remotely like hip or cool
Yup... that about sums it up.

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 12:34 AM   #3
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

... so, anyone who "leans to the right" can't be cool or hip ?

Rather dogmatic, narrow minded and self-serving, in my view...

Then again, we're seeing more and more of this, the "left" becoming as agressive in it's words and thinking patterns as the right is, which is no better...
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 05:29 AM   #4
wildewoman
Taxman

Well, ABCKO, since you threw down the gauntlet, name some conservative "cool people" then! Is Ann Coulter cool? Alice Cooper? Ted Nugent? Dennis Miller? Jeff Foxworthy? Please do not tell me Ayn Rand!
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 06:19 AM   #5
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

I'm conservative. And very cool.

Being conservative has nothing to do with "right-wing" by the way. Is it appropriate to "smack down" Republican propogranda, while linking to a flaming left-wing website at the same time?

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 08:52 AM   #6
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCKO View Post
... so, anyone who "leans to the right" can't be cool or hip ?

Rather dogmatic, narrow minded and self-serving, in my view...

Then again, we're seeing more and more of this, the "left" becoming as agressive in it's words and thinking patterns as the right is, which is no better...
Honey, it all started with Limbaugh and as long as he is spouting insults and rude comments along with his points (and in some cases, to make them) the right are hypocrites for criticizing the left for using their tactics against them (and in some cases, succeeding).

but basically it's like this: Liberals love humanity but hate people. Conservatives love people but hate humanity.
So true, so true.

but the right trying to claim John was one of them? John may have changed when he became a father to Sean, but the man funded radical terrorist and was almost deported by Nixon. He's far from a Republican.
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 06:54 PM   #7
Peregrine9
Sgt. Pepper

Default John Lennon a Closet Republican ? Yeah right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
I'm conservative. And very cool.

Being conservative has nothing to do with "right-wing" by the way. Is it appropriate to "smack down" Republican propogranda, while linking to a flaming left-wing website at the same time?

I know Jerry you didn't mention me.But I want everyone to know I didn't post and link that article here because it was on a liberal web site.I just found it online. There had been a while ago another article about Fred Seaman claiming John Lennon was a a conservative.I do think there are many conservatives that would be considered more liberal like on some social issues,like Gay Rights and women's reproductive issues, and the enviroment.But fiscally conservative.The same way there are many people who would be considered liberal on some issues and more to the right on others.There also are people that are moderate politically.Its important to remember that no one falls into a simple set of labels.But I do believe with John maybe not with business and money matters.But that he was a liberal and left on social issues and was anti war and that he supported Womens' and Gay rights, workers and pro union, and enviromental issues.But I'm sure there was issues John would have maybe be considered, more to the right. I do believe the writer of that article does bring up some valid issues and arguments about John's politcal views.

Last edited by Peregrine9 : May 24, 2012 at 08:29 AM.
Peregrine9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 03:21 AM   #8
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

I'm conservative with money. I'm liberal with social issues except the ones that involve giving my money away to my ex-friends who refuse to do anything but bitch and make fun of me every time I go to sleep to get up and go to work the next morning.
Issues that don't involve giving my money away I"m liberal on.
Old May 23, 2012, 12:26 PM   #9
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCKO View Post
Ah, the ol' false equivalency argument once again! It's become very trendy for "reasonable" people to say, "MSNBC is just as bad as Faux News and labor unions are just as greedy as corporations. The left is just as wacky as the right." But there's no basis in TRUTH for this thinking.

That's because the right in this country has been overtaken by extremists, while the left has not. I don't doubt there are kind, intelligent, and well-meaning people who lean right... but the Tea Party will sure do its best to make sure any of them running for office will LOSE this November.

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 02:00 PM   #10
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Are they still pushing this? I still haven't gotten over the shock of the first time it made the press.
Old May 24, 2012, 05:39 AM   #11
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
Ah, the ol' false equivalency argument once again! It's become very trendy for "reasonable" people to say, "MSNBC is just as bad as Faux News and labor unions are just as greedy as corporations. The left is just as wacky as the right." But there's no basis in TRUTH for this thinking.

That's because the right in this country has been overtaken by extremists, while the left has not. I don't doubt there are kind, intelligent, and well-meaning people who lean right... but the Tea Party will sure do its best to make sure any of them running for office will LOSE this November.
true. My Dad made me listen to Limbaugh once. this is what I heard: "Orgasms. Moderate Republicans just have orgasms all over themselves when they're mentioned in the media. Orgasms. all over themselves."

Now, I found what Limbaugh was saying both crude and alarming. He was literally bashing moderates in his own party.
I said to my dad, "This is considered intelligent talk?"
My dad was embarrased.
For the rest of his life, whenever we'd argue politics, I'd say to him, "Orgasms all over yourself," In Limbaugh's voice and once he replied, "I never thought you'd use Rush as a weapon."

the second time I listened to Limbaugh was when he asked that young college girl discussing birth control funding to have sex on the internet and let him watch which turned into a big controversy.

I don't think I need to hear any more.

Last edited by misfittoy : May 24, 2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old May 24, 2012, 06:41 AM   #12
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfittoy View Post
Honey, it all started with Limbaugh and as long as he is spouting insults and rude comments along with his points (and in some cases, to make them) the right are hypocrites for criticizing the left for using their tactics against them (and in some cases, succeeding).

but basically it's like this: Liberals love humanity but hate people. Conservatives love people but hate humanity.
So true, so true.

but the right trying to claim John was one of them? John may have changed when he became a father to Sean, but the man funded radical terrorist and was almost deported by Nixon. He's far from a Republican.
So does this mean I'm not allowed to be Republican and dislike Rush at the same time? I'd wager there are some Democrats out there that you don't like.

For me, I tend to vote Republican, but I reside more in the moderate end of the spectrum. I have some views that are as far left as you can get, and a few that are to the right. But the problem we have in this country now is how incredibly contentious this whole political thing has become. We've turned it into a black and white, with absolutely no shades of grey. We lump all Republicans as being in the far right, and all Democrats as being in the far left. The parties have somewhat latched onto this as well, forcing some of our best bi-partisan politicians (ahem, McCain) to attach themselves to policies they don't agree with. It's unhealthy and it's hurting our country. When I talk to people, it seems most of us reside somewhere in the middle; we're not far left or far right. If our media and the parties could start recognizing this, that would be faboo.

In terms of any cool Republicans, Gary Sinise and Kelsey Grammar are Republicans, and I think they're both pretty cool.

As for John ever being a Republican: no way!

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.

Last edited by erinluv182 : May 24, 2012 at 07:05 AM.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 07:00 AM   #13
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

Let me get this straight. Using the above logic, if I listened listened to 5 seconds of somebody like Chris Matthews or Ed Schultz, I would then be able to say the Democrat party has been taken over by extremists? Got it.

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 08:37 AM   #14
Peregrine9
Sgt. Pepper

Default John Lennon a Closet Republican ? Yeah right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine9 View Post
I know Jerry you didn't mention me.But I want everyone to know I didn't post and link that article here because it was on a liberal web site.I just found it online. There had been a while ago another article about Fred Seaman claiming John Lennon was a a conservative.I do think there are many conservatives that would be considered more liberal like on some social issues,like Gay Rights and women's reproductive issues, and the enviroment.But fiscally conservative.The same way there are many people who would be considered liberal on some issues and more to the right on others.There also are people that are moderate politically.Its important to remember that no one falls into a simple set of labels.But I do believe with John maybe not at much with business and money matters.But that he was a liberal and left on social issues and was anti war and that he supported Womens' and Gay rights, workers and pro union, and enviromental issues.But I'm sure there was some issues John would have maybe be considered, more to the right. I do believe the writer of that article does bring up some valid issues and arguments about John's politcal views.

I'm reposting this.Because I edited the content little bit.To reflex my views about John about this. I'm a Gay, Liberal,Feminist and Libertarian myself.But I'm moderate on some issues.
Old May 24, 2012, 01:54 PM   #15
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

I find it strange that, after more than 30 years, people still haven't realized that Double Fantasy is a concept album all about John and Yoko's elation over the then-impending Reagan election. It's bookended with songs called "(Just Like) Starting Over" and "Hard Times Are Over." I mean, how much more obvious can you get?

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 02:27 PM   #16
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinluv182 View Post
So does this mean I'm not allowed to be Republican and dislike Rush at the same time? .
Don't go putting words in my mouth. NO where did I ever say that. (and putting words in someone's mouth is a poor debate/discussion tactict showing you don't really have a case).
My point is that for years everybody not an extremem republican got insulted by Rush who makes a big living at it.
Then another side starts using the same tactic, and the Republicans whine about it.

and when you've got Rebublians like Rush saying horrible things about the moderates in his own party, we've got a huge problem. (which is what you said in the rest of your posts)

I'm just stating my experiences listening to rush and republican dogma.
Old May 24, 2012, 04:30 PM   #17
wildewoman
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama View Post
I find it strange that, after more than 30 years, people still haven't realized that Double Fantasy is a concept album all about John and Yoko's elation over the then-impending Reagan election. It's bookended with songs called "(Just Like) Starting Over" and "Hard Times Are Over." I mean, how much more obvious can you get?
Are you serious? Or is that a joke? I am genuinely curious, since tone does not come across in text.

And now I am leaving before I am provoked by some people's political opinions to say things I may regret later.

I will leave you with a parting shot from my namesake, Mr. Wilde:
"Arguements are to be avoided:they are always vulgar and often convincing."

Tatty bye!
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 07:33 PM   #18
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

I'm as serious as I am in all my posts. Look at the clues:

-Double Fantasy = Even before Reagan took office, John was already excited for his second term.
-"I'm Losing You" is a not-so-thinly veiled commentary on happily saying goodbye to the Carter years. The "valley of indecision" is clearly Iran, where Carter had been ineffective in getting the hostages released. "You say you're not getting enough / But I remind you of all that bad, bad, bad stuff" is about the lessened availability of gasoline--but as John reminds us, there was a gas crisis a few years earlier. This is more obvious when you listen to some of the demos.
-"I'm Moving On"...from the waste of time that was the Carter administration.
-Speaking of Carter, it's "Cleanup Time"--"no friends and yet no enemies," because he's perhaps the single most neutral president of the last 50 years. That line is what really makes it super-clear that this is the most pro-Reagan album of all time...not including Bruce Springsteen's Born in the U.S.A., of course.
-"Beautiful Boy" is indeed written about Sean as suggested...however, one could easily change the last line to "Darling, darling, darling, darling Ron." Coincidence? Don't be naive.
-The lyrics of "Every Man Has a Woman Who Loves Him" are lifted almost verbatim from an obscure vintage Ronald Reagan film called "Dames Aplenty." Unfortunately, the last known print of the film was destroyed in the 1967 fire at MGM that also destroyed Tod Browning's London After Midnight (starring Lon Chaney). Several stills survive, including some where Ronald presses his ear to Gene Tierney's breast, but they were all purchased at auction by the Reagan Presidential Library a few years ago and Nancy Reagan has vowed never to display them as long as she's alive.

I'm sure most, if not all, of this information is ancient news to you guys but I figure it's helpful to give the rundown for younger fans. And it's very likely that I missed a couple of the references too; this album is packed with them.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 04:10 AM   #19
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

wow. Conservative John people look for clues the same way PIDers do and slashers
Old May 25, 2012, 05:48 AM   #20
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfittoy View Post
Don't go putting words in my mouth. NO where did I ever say that. (and putting words in someone's mouth is a poor debate/discussion tactict showing you don't really have a case).
My point is that for years everybody not an extremem republican got insulted by Rush who makes a big living at it.
Then another side starts using the same tactic, and the Republicans whine about it.

and when you've got Rebublians like Rush saying horrible things about the moderates in his own party, we've got a huge problem. (which is what you said in the rest of your posts)

I'm just stating my experiences listening to rush and republican dogma.
You said this:

Quote:
it all started with Limbaugh and as long as he is spouting insults and rude comments along with his points (and in some cases, to make them) the right are hypocrites for criticizing the left for using their tactics against them.
To me, this was lumping all conservatives together with Limbaugh. And I hate being lumped together with that guy. I think my dad has finally learned to stop saying to me "on Rush's show today..." because when he said that it was always met with an eye-roll from me.

I just wish we could be less contentious in our country and not holding on to silly things that are inconsequential. Like the whole thing with Mitt Romney being a high school bully that came up a couple of weeks ago. Ok, seriously....he graduated in what, the 60s? You find me a person who graduated during that time period who never teased or made fun of someone. Shoot....find me someone who graduated in the 90s and never did that. And then the whole thing with Obama and that sketchy pastor he was associated with? Seriously? These things are so stupid! Let's start focusing on the things that matter.

And back to the focus, no way was John ever a Republican (and I doubt any of the Beatles ever would've aligned themselves with the Republican party), but that doesn't make all Republicans uncool.

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote