BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:09 AM   #41
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

And while I'm at it, I am GLAD that I did attend mass all of my life. Over time I came to appeciate it and I see it as having been good in the long run.

And saying all Catholics are unkind is just as spurious a claim as saying all people who wear glasses steal. It's just plain ludicrous. Simple as that.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:33 AM   #42
peanut333
Wild Honey Pie

I was raised Roman Catholic, and proud of it. I now attend an Evangelical church which I enjoy very much also. Every religion has good and bad followers. Look at the flaky Krishna parents that were mellow about their kids nearly drowning at a lake in Friar Park. This drove Patti and Chris O Dell batty with their attitude. Patti wanted to kick them out, but George intervened on their behalf. I feel sorry for the decent priests that would never abuse a kid due to the recent sex scandals. But you have to be wary, some people may just want to profit by lying.
peanut333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:16 PM   #43
beatlebangs1964

As Paul said in "Ebony & Ivory," there is good and bad in everyone.

You cannot paint an entire group with a broad brush. There are problems and people with ulterior motives and cruel behavior in every group. Even so, those bad apples don't spoil the whole group.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:39 PM   #44
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMW28IF View Post
So that's why you denounced ALL CATHOLICS as treating their children badly in a post higher up on the page. What if my wonderful, beautiful, amazing wife and I work our butts off daily as well as making monetary sacrifices in other areas to afford more than $10,000 annually in tuition for Catholic schools in our area? Including our oldest at a medium sized high school in particular where EVERY SINGLE graduating senior has been accepted to a four year college for seven consecutive years?

Stating ALL of any category of parents (religious, race, nationality, economic status etc) treat their children badly is not just painting with a broad brush. It's painting with an enormous brush, made by a company called "Wrong Inc."
I'm saying all Catholics I have ever met have treated me badly. and that is not WRONG as it happened to me going from Catholic school k-12.
They have a lot to answer for.
plus, I got a lousey education. I even had an English teacher that didn't speak English. and my parents paid extra for that? I wanted to sue the school for that but my father talked me out of it.
and what I stated is that my parents put their religion over the well-being of their children. (as so did my church. a priest was caught child-molesting and he was just sent to an Indian reservation...where there were children).

I was abused for a very long time for being different. It is not WRONG as it is my experience. Don't like it? Then show some kindness to an outsider.
I will stand up and speak of my Catholic experiences. I will not be silent on the subject of Spiritual abuse.

the only way any Catholic can undo this pain is to show some kindness.
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:44 PM   #45
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
And while I'm at it, I am GLAD that I did attend mass all of my life. Over time I came to appeciate it and I see it as having been good in the long run.

And saying all Catholics are unkind is just as spurious a claim as saying all people who wear glasses steal. It's just plain ludicrous. Simple as that.
My experiences are not ludicrous. they happened and I live with the pain. I also know I'm not alone or the term 'recovering Catholic' wouldn't exist.
I'm going by my experiences. they are the strongest thing in my life. (and yes, I do have a religion).

George was not a catholic. He wasn't made to fast every night and be scandelized for eating breakfast before mass every day. He wasn' t dragged to church or sunday school. He was baptized and that was the end of it. The man died a Krishna in the Krishna manner. (He wasn't even confirmed).
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:47 PM   #46
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
As Paul said in "Ebony & Ivory," there is good and bad in everyone.

You cannot paint an entire group with a broad brush. There are problems and people with ulterior motives and cruel behavior in every group. Even so, those bad apples don't spoil the whole group.
In schools of hundreds, I never met one smile. I judge by that. it ruined my life.
One smile would have made a difference. Incidentally, I am good friends now with one who was a nun in my school. She's now a new ager and is married to her girlfriend. (I'm not allowed to say how I first met her)
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:48 PM   #47
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut333 View Post
I was raised Roman Catholic, and proud of it. I now attend an Evangelical church which I enjoy very much also. Every religion has good and bad followers. Look at the flaky Krishna parents that were mellow about their kids nearly drowning at a lake in Friar Park. This drove Patti and Chris O Dell batty with their attitude. Patti wanted to kick them out, but George intervened on their behalf. I feel sorry for the decent priests that would never abuse a kid due to the recent sex scandals. But you have to be wary, some people may just want to profit by lying.
It happened in my church to both my brothers and others. I scorn those parents who didn't have the balls to stand up then.

Some of us stood up to father though we were small. we were also many.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:27 PM   #48
beatlebangs1964

I never said your experiences were ludicrous. I said the claim that all Catholics are unkind is. No group can be summed up with a generalization such as that. Archie Bunker used to do that and people watching the show laughed at him for his bigotry and for acting a fool by making such off the wall statements. What is NOT funny is that there are people in this world who really ARE bigots and who DO espouse such points of view. Bigotry is a social disease. The antidote is tolerance.

I said that branding everybody with the same iron because of the bad experiences you had with a particular set of individuals is a form of bias and is unfairly blaming everybody in the group. Think of the song "Any Road." Very a propos, that.

I am Catholic. Most of my family is. We have not done anything to you. My priest and monsignor are truly good people, Godsends and they have not done anything to you either. I told you that bigotry in any form makes me very and it is very un-Hari like on your part. Louise Harrison was Catholic all of her life and believed George was. George was a very tolerant person who kept an open mind and was receptive to learning about different faiths and exploring his own Faith Journey.

How dare you include Louise Harrison and other truly good people who happen to be Catholic into your negative view on Catholicism? Louise taught her little Harrisons to be good people and to make no distinction - never abase oneself and never have a sense of entitlement at another's expense. I like that.

There are things about my own faith that I disagree with, but that doesn't mean that others who have different points of view are bad or wrong. I recognize that you have had bad experiences. All right, that's unfortunate. Many people convert and that's good too. It's all good. Just decide what is right for you without condemning a whole group.

And you don't have to be wary of all Catholics. I'll wager that many good people that you know are Catholics and you just don't know it. Most people don't go around introducing themselves by religion. I will say that it is very upsetting to me to see this kind of thing because I feel it promotes ill will and negativity and we don't need that at all. You are entitled to your opinion. We can agree to disagree. However, it is not all right to condemn an entire group based on a few individuals.

Now, I thought this thread was about George and Haley Mills. She did meet the boys in early 1964. I don't know if George was her favorite, but I hope he was.

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Jan 23, 2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:28 AM   #49
peanut333
Wild Honey Pie

Since I started it, I wondered how the subject changed, but I liked the various viewpoints on theology. My heart goes out to people mistreated by sick priests, nun, or any religious leader of any faith. Beatlebangs I respect how you protect your Georgie.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:07 AM   #50
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

My experiences come from being abused every day for many decades. That is not something that one is going to get over ever. and yes, George made many anti-Catholic references to how only the priest can tell you what's it and how chanting allowed him to experience God for himself. Many are in the book Dark Horse.

DId yo know I was even beaten for being left-handed?
I still don't get that piece of crap. Why would God even make left-handed people then?

MY favorite comment about the whole thing was by JD Salinger in Catcher in the Rye. Catholics only care about if you're a Catholic or not.

George wasn't CAtholic. The man died a hindu and the Pope had even condemned the Beatles as Satanic with only a forgiveness happening just last year. (and RIngo making the comment that due to the sex scandals, the pope should be talking about bigger things then the Beatles)
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:17 AM   #51
beatlebangs1964

Misfit, I didn't start out feeling where I was. I've had my Baptism in Fire as well and at one time I seriously thought of converting. Changing parishes and a really good and kind priest made all the differences in the world.

The worst teacher I EVER had was a fat Catholic martinet who was verbally abusive; overly punitive; malicious and delighted in baiting kids and humiliating them. And this was someone who had ONLY attended Catholic schools and college! She'd make Robert Kennedy, Mother Theresa and Pope John Paul II converts, no doubt had they been her pupils. I am not going to let cruel people like that ruin the faith for me. Abusive types like that do NOT represent the faith; they distort it and use it to justify cruelty and self righteousness. That is not MY way.

In 1712, Jonathan Swift said that "we have just enough religion to make us hate, but not love one another." I think that is unfortunate that people will use their religion to justify hatred and cruelty when those concepts are ANTITHETICAL to most faiths.

Pete Seeger's banjo is inscribed, "This instrument surrounds hate and destroys it." I'd like to to think we as people could surround and destroy hatred, cruelty and intolerance. Pete Seeger has set a STELLAR example of what being a good person is. He is tolerant; accepting; and interested in ALL cultures and that includes beliefs.

My point was that as unfortunate as it is there are cruel bastards in every group, they don't represent the whole group. I admit that I never liked Catcher in the Rye; disliked the gruesomely named Holden (that's even worse than Jason, which I also detest) and thought the story was for the birds. There was not a damn single character in that book I liked. Don't use that book as a reference point on Catholicism or as an excuse to hate Catholics and the faith.

George kept his mind open and was tolerant of all faiths. I was never a fan of Pope Paul VI (although I AM glad for Vatican II in 1963 when he first became Pope) and don't let demagogic fallacies from anyone of any faith make you a religious bigot.

Louise Harrison remained Catholic all of her life and she was NOT like that and she did not, repeat, she did NOT teach her little Harrisons bigotry and hatred. No, indeed. That was NOT her way regardless of your color, your age, your religion and your nationality.

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Jan 25, 2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:25 PM   #52
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

Haley Mills loved Catholic people and thought the were the greatest, super neato, and gear!

In fact, she once considered changing her name to Cathy. Cath for short of course. Middle name Olivia. And everyone knows Lick is a great last name. Cath O....
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:28 PM   #53
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

Misfit...

Did you ever have even a single friend at school?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:30 AM   #54
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Nope. all they did was beat me up and make fun of me for being different. I got friends the moment I left the church and school and I've had some of those same friends since.

See what I mean? I keep saying, "Catholics wouldn't let me have friends."
Thank God for my many long-term friendships some of which were started that very summer I left Catholic school like Craig and Bob. I see them every week still in music circle.
since I was at an all-girls school, I couldn't have friends with any women for 15 years. I hated all of them and only had male friends. Even now, my male friends are my stronger friendships mostly though I do have several girl friends now.

George was never a CAtholic. He wasn't raised with the church. and the catholics I went to taught the kids to persecute others including non-catholics and our buddhist neighbores and me for befriending them. (small town. those poor buddhist. George would have been appalled) I remember getting the lectures on them.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:38 AM   #55
peanut333
Wild Honey Pie

Missfitoy,

Sorry if I mistyped your username, may I ask your ethnic background? Your experiences are heart breaking. Yes George would be saddened by seeing people mistreated because they are different. The Beatles were very tolerant.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:22 PM   #56
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

You posted

See what I mean? I keep saying, "Catholics wouldn't let me have friends.

George would have smacked you upside the head, reminding you that even if .00000000000001% of all the Catholics in the world happened to treat you terribly, disgracefully, atrociously, etc. labeling them all is disgusting behavior.

"All Bangladesh refugees were awful people"
"All long haired men are unimportant parts of society"
"All Englishmen treat their wives horribly"
"Everyone from Liverpool is an uneducated swine"
"People who like Indian Mysticism don't make good friends"

Start some threads! How long until a mod lands on you?

I'll refrain from offering apologies or sympathy for the experiences you've shared so far, as I don't know you, much less the whole story. I'll only add that if you were indeed persecuted or labelled, is your recent posts not the SAME
THING?

All we need is love
Brotherhood of man
Nobody told me there will be days like these
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:39 PM   #57
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMW28IF View Post
You posted

See what I mean? I keep saying, "Catholics wouldn't let me have friends.

George would have smacked you upside the head, reminding you that even if .00000000000001% of all the Catholics in the world happened to treat you terribly, disgracefully, atrociously, etc. labeling them all is disgusting behavior.

"All Bangladesh refugees were awful people"
"All long haired men are unimportant parts of society"
"All Englishmen treat their wives horribly"
"Everyone from Liverpool is an uneducated swine"
"People who like Indian Mysticism don't make good friends"

Start some threads! How long until a mod lands on you?

I'll refrain from offering apologies or sympathy for the experiences you've shared so far, as I don't know you, much less the whole story. I'll only add that if you were indeed persecuted or labelled, is your recent posts not the SAME
THING?

All we need is love
Brotherhood of man
Nobody told me there will be days like these
of course it is the same thing. It's what a catholic education taught me. I learned to give what I got right back.
There's some lie going around that it teaches you love but I know that not to be true.

My family is white and upperclass for the one that asked.
While growing up, we moved to three different suburubs so I attended three schools between k-12. The snobbery at each was heartbreaking.

George made many anti- catholic statememnts about how in those religions, one does not expereince God directly the way he did though chanting. Many of these quotes are in the book Dark Horse.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:44 PM   #58
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

About my Buddhist neighbores in a small twon in Indiana: While the garden in the yard was beign set up before the new arrivals from China arrived (we already had Asians in the nieghborhood) a statue of Buddha was erected. That freaked out all the adults. The first non-Judeo Christian in town. Mostof the town was CAtholic with one Jewish family and a few Protestants.
The nuns told us that they worshiped statues of animals. (Having practiced Idolatry, I know that to be a false statement period).
I became friends with them. I remember meeting them on Halloween as they gave away candy to experience our customs.
The nuns told me they were going to sacrafice me to Buddha and I became scared and stopped speaking to them. I know I hurt them. I was about ten.
I don't think George would have liked this at all.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:44 PM   #59
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfittoy View Post
MY favorite comment about the whole thing was by JD Salinger in Catcher in the Rye. Catholics only care about if you're a Catholic or not.

George wasn't CAtholic. The man died a hindu and the Pope had even condemned the Beatles as Satanic with only a forgiveness happening just last year. (and RIngo making the comment that due to the sex scandals, the pope should be talking about bigger things then the Beatles)
Wow. Posting citing The Catcher in the Rye? Please research Mark David Chapman.

Secondly, The Vatican officially PRAISES The Beatles. They would have done so LOOOONG ago, but the NEW editor of L'Osservatore Romano, Giovanni Maria Vian has been publishing stories about music, culture, etc.

"what would pop music be like without The Beatles?" I'd love for you to name another performer(s) who has praised in the same manner by THE POLE's newspaper. The article later praised the White Album as a "magical musical anthology." Cardinals in flowing robes jamming to Helter Skelter! I love it!!

The "we're bigger than Jesus" remark was chalked up by the paper as "showing off, bragging"... By a "working class musician"... "who grew up in the age of rock and roll"... "enjoying unexpected success."

The American press took John's statement grossly out of context, even getting the quote wrong. There is more than a bit of incredulity in Johns voice when he makes the statement (and the other sentences surrounding it). Congrats to the English and the rest of Europe for LISTENING and not freaking out.

Bottom line is you conveniently cherry picked parts of the article that suited you.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:07 PM   #60
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfittoy View Post
of course it is the same thing. It's what a catholic education taught me. I learned to give what I got right back.
This is perfect! I've been in Indiana for more than 20 years. I have had at least one child in the Catholic School System (all under the same guidelines) for more than 15 years, with three currently. I've coached four different CYO Sports, and referred. My wife serves on committees at the school. Mom has worked as an assistant to the Principal (3 different ones) for more than 20 years. All of the above in Indiana, just like you.

What three schools did you attend? Mayb I've been there, know people from there.

Oh, and if it's the "Carholic education" that is the problem, how did the other few hundred kids at your school turn out? The thousands before or since? Please note I am not at all suggesting you were even the smallest portion of the "problem" you had to deal with.

I'm merely interested in the link you have made with "the education" provided. The same one I've been a part of for two decades. I look forward to your response.