BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Jul 31, 2002, 02:13 PM   #1
Mike
Little Child

Default Beatlefest - Los Angeles

I just discovered that there won't be a Beatlefest this year in Los Angeles, and I think there wasn't one last year either. The last one I went to was a few years ago. Does anyone know the story behind this?

------------------
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2002, 02:36 PM   #2
dav-here
Sun King

Send a message via Yahoo to dav-here
Default Re: Beatlefest - Los Angeles

I would have said, "Don't get me started!" But, too late!!

Beatlefest L.A. was cancelled last year due to 9/11. This year's (and probably ALL future L.A. 'fests as well) isn't going to happen due to poor attendance, i.e., not enough $$ going into Mark Lapidos's pockets. I've also heard from some folks that Mr. L doesn't want to come to L.A. because he "doesn't feel very welcome in California" ("Gee, wonder why?"). I emailed him awhile back and asked him about this and after waiting a week for a reply, he said that maybe sometime in the future they might come back to L.A. (yeah, right!) and that I should fly out to Chicago for that 'fest.

We recently had something called the Beatle Fair here in San Diego (see my posts under "Beatle Fair 2002" in the Main Discussions section) and it was absolutely fabulous!! Smaller than the 'fest, but sometimes this is a good thing (less "corporate", doncha know--DAMN THE MAN!!). It was MUCH cheaper, too! I assume you didn't hear about it in time and/or it was too far, but, trust me, "ya shoulda been there!!"

There is a "Magical Mystery Weekend" happening in December in Pasadena that I'll be going to. I'll post reminders for my fellow West Coast Beatle buddies when it gets closer. In the meantime, feel free to email Mr. L at the Beatlefest website and express your dismay at how the West Coast is being ignored. Who knows, it just MIGHT do some good.

------------------
"He's so smart, he doesn't even remember what he knows." Dave here.
dav-here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2002, 04:00 PM   #3
Mike
Little Child

Thanks for all the info. I'm pretty close to Pasadena so I definitely think I'll make it to the Magical Mystery Weekend.

------------------
Old Aug 01, 2002, 03:49 PM   #4
alliesun
Bulldog

They actually changed the name of the Magical Mystery Weekend to Los Angeles "Liverpool Days". PaulsPrincess & I will be there too. Here's more information if anyone is interested...

http://www.liverpooldays.com/

------------------
"Kindness is wisdom."
alliesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2002, 07:14 AM   #5
Hari's Chick

Oh, how sad! I didn't know it was cancelled forever. I'm confused though, why doesn't Mark feel welcome in California? Just cuz he didn't come out last year? Hmmmm...

I didn't go to the L.A. Fests as much in recent years, unless George's sis was gonna be there~ then I went! But I wanted to go this year . I think it was way more fun at the Bonaventure. Also, I thought that the little video room needed to be more organized~ I missed too many George video's from changed schedules! Grrrr.....

------------------
"...Hare Krishna has a mystical side to it. It is more than just glorifying God; it's asking to become His servant. And because of the way the mantra is put together, with the mystic spiritual energy contained in those syllables, it's much closer to God...."
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2002, 07:20 AM   #6
Hari's Chick

Thanks, Alliesun!! Mickey Dolenz is going to be there~ that sounds wonderful!!

------------------
"...Hare Krishna has a mystical side to it. It is more than just glorifying God; it's asking to become His servant. And because of the way the mantra is put together, with the mystic spiritual energy contained in those syllables, it's much closer to God...."
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2002, 07:22 AM   #7
Mike
Little Child

Yeah, those were the good old days, when Beatlefest-LA was held at the Westin Bonaventure in downtown. Then they moved it to a hotel near the airport, and so I'm told it was held in Irvine (yes, Irvine!) a couple of years ago.

------------------
Old Aug 03, 2002, 06:47 PM   #8
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Pity folks in states that don't even have Beatlefest. In the state I'm living in, there is no Beatlefest. Doggone it! The last Beatlefest in the Lone STARR State was in the mid-1980s!

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

Read www.rooftopsessions.com for high caliber Beatles fan fiction.

BB1964
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:39 PM   #9
elvis65
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Yeah, those were the good old days, when Beatlefest-LA was held at the Westin Bonaventure in downtown. Then they moved it to a hotel near the airport, and so I'm told it was held in Irvine (yes, Irvine!) a couple of years ago.

------------------
As someone that went to most of the CA Beatlefest's (over 20 years worth) I can add a few notes:

1) It was much better at the Westin Hotel because there were things to do in and around the hotel (about 5 levels of restaurants and shops).

2) The Irvine one was great only because we always drove up from OC.

3) I dont remember Mark Lapidos ever stopping to talk with fans.

I think Beatlefest rode the resurgence of 50's and 60's music in the early 80's.

Because the show was essentially the same year after year I am sure they lost fans over time.

It really went downhill once they moved it to the airport.

Just like any type of business you really need to offer something different as well as connect with your customers to expect repeat business.

In my mind he was always running off to do the next thing almost like someone throwing their own party.
elvis65 is offline   Reply With Quote