View Single Post
Old Dec 20, 2005, 04:52 PM   #2
Cecilia
Old Brown Shoe

Default Second part

Paul: I play flugle horn but it was good to do. I wouldn't play it live, I'd fluff every note but we were recording so I would wangle it in.

Michael: But talking about the album, let's have an indication of a song, a lovely song called Jenny Wren. This is recorded while you're on tour in America.Jenny Wren (Applause)

Michael: What was the, there's a lovely line in one of the songs, it's kind of sums up the album, you say, 'Looking through the back yard of my life, time to sweep the fallen leaves away.' It's a nice image.

Paul: Thank you yeah, that's a sentiment that now applies.

Michael: As you get older and more mellow.

Paul: More mature yeah! Yeah it's a good thing yeah. When you're eighteen you know, you don't wanna cry in case one of your mates catches you. I mean my life was, I'd lost my mum a few years before that. John had lost his but you wouldn't cry because you were eighteen-year-old Liverpool lads and you didn't do that kind of thing. I think now you know it's a good thing to do that and to open up to those emotions. That's the way I feel anyway.

Michael: When you're reminded and revisited by the memory of John, like we are now with the twenty-fifth anniversary of him being murdered. That would, I imagine, have a profound effect upon you.

Paul: Yeah, of course. I mean, it's so tragic the circumstances in which he died, number one. You wouldn't even have to know him for it to have a profound effect on you. But if he's one of your best mates that's very shocking. But you know what I find myself doing is remembering the great stuff. Remembering the laughs and the hysterics. I get an image of the two of us walking around where we used to live with our guitars slung on our backs, before The Beatles, before anything had broken. With our drainpipe trousers, you know, well 'ard. You know we didn't know anything was going to happen but we just felt great and you know my mind goes back to all of that. Rather than the sad stuff.

Michael: You can't have imagined what was going to happen could you? Even on drugs you couldn't have imagined it.

Paul: Well we never had any of them! (Laughter)

Michael: That wasn't even my next question!

Michael: Do you ever get fed up with the back reference to The Beatles all the time? I mean inevitably people do, it was such an important time.

Paul: No, I used to when I started with Wings because that was right after The Beatles and we were trying to forge a new identity so the idea of always being asked about The Beatles meant it was something that you could never top, which was a bit depressing. You were trying to do something, that not necessarily would top it but would be something new. But now all of that feeling has gone, I'm able to look at the whole career, Beatles, Wings now and it doesn't bother me at all now. In fact I really like talking about The Beatles, I can be quite boring about it!

Michael: And what about the business of writing, I mean you've written hundreds and hundreds of songs.

Paul: Mmm, too many!

Michael: I don't know about that, you can never write too many. I mean you can write too few. And that's my question really, have you ever had the musician's equivalent of writer's block?

Paul: Do you know, I've been so lucky with that. And you talk about me and John. We'd to to each other's house and normally in the afternoon from about one till four we'd meet up. Three hours was about the attention span period. And every time we did it we came away with a song. And it's a bit amazing. I think it's nearly three hundred songs we wrote together and the nearest to a flop or to a dry session was I brought in this song that was, 'I could by you golden rings' and we couldn't get past these bloody golden rings. And it was like 'ring, thing'. And it was like, let's have a cup of tea and you know, we got off it and that became Baby You Can Drive My Car. We just switched off these rings, go into a car and got a bit of satire going. And so that one even worked.

Michael: Would you like a guitar by the way?

Paul: I'd love one.

Michael: Well you keep playing air guitar so there's a real one. (Passes Paul his guitar) (Applause)

Paul: Well you see what Michael does, he invites you on the show and you sort of say 'great' and you think well we've got film so you won't have to do anything and then he says, 'Could you bring a guitar?' (Laughter) And you go, 'Yeah but I'm not really prepared.' And so he goes, 'Don't worry I'll hand you it.' Which he's just done. OK I'll tell you what, the only thing that I was thinking of doing, this isn't really performing, just explaining a little thing. Before I did that Jenny Wren piece and it's kind of a finger picking style that I'm not very good at, it's got a melody and a bass line going at the same time. And I was explaining to the American audiences how that sort of started. It was because me and George used to sit around learning all the basic rock and roll chords (strums guitar). But there was one little thing we used to do which was a semi classical sort of thing that was a little show off piece. It was actually classical but we made it 'semi'. It was a thing by Bach and it went like this. (Plays piece by Bach) (Applause) We didn't know the second half so we played it wrong but I liked that way we did and years later I adapted it into the song Blackbird. (Plays Blackbird) Taking that sort of thing you know. (Applause) And I said I'm not prepared and that's all I'm going to do Michael. Naughty boy! I'm afraid that's all we've got time for! (Hands guitar back to Michael)

Michael: How can you have Paul McCartney on the show and not ask him to play, come on!

Paul: Easily Mike.

Michael: Alright, well then that's it then!

Paul: I knew this guy, I'm turning the tables now. We used to play in Manchester on Granada. And we were like little young hopefuls, The Beatles, you know. This guy was a producer at Granada.

Michael: It was a very exciting time and it was great.

Paul: It really was and looking back on it now, a lot of kids say to me that I had the best of it and I say no, get with now. But I do think there's some truth in it. It was a very rich period and we were all in the middle of it.

Michael: And the music that's come out of it and particularly yours, has lasted, and that's the trick. To last, time goes beyond and that's what you've done. Forever and ever. People will be whistling your songs in a thousand years time, Sir Paul McCartney. (Applause) My thanks to all my guests. From all of us here a very good night, good night. (Applause)