View Single Post
Old Jan 08, 2005, 10:35 PM   #10
pepperland67
Dr. Robert

Default Re: Warm, Fuzzy Memories of John

"He said, 'You're going to the Woolton Fete, aren't you, Mimi?' I said, 'I go every year, John.' It was a gorgeous day, and my sisters were there, too. As we were going round, suddenly this sound struck - a thing never been heard near the church before. So everybody looked up. We were at the back of the crowd. And I said, 'It's John, it's John up there!' So my sister said, 'What's he doing up there?' I said, 'I don't know.' As I got a bit nearer, he spotted me. So he turned the words of the song into singing to me. And I looked at him and I said, 'You wait.'" - John's Aunt Mimi

"John had this image of being the toughest boy in college but his music showed what all of us knew was underneath. He had a gentleness that needed to come out, and it did in those songs." - Cynthia Lennon

"The collaboration I had with John - it's difficult to imagine anyone else coming up to that standard. Because he was no slouch, that boy... He was pretty hot stuff, you know. I mean, I can't imagine anybody being there when i go: 'It's betting better all the time.' I just can't imagine anybody who would chime in - 'It couldn't get much worse.'" - Paul McCartney

"He was not the kind of guy who would say: 'Hey, my mate's written 'Here, There and Everywhere.'' He would never say that so I think unfortunately the world has to have a false impression of John. I think John was a really nice guy - covering up. He didn't dare let you see that nice side. So it was always rock n' roll, rock n' roll, rock n' roll,... till you actually caught him in the right moment. When you admit to being sentimental, as I do, you set yourself up for pot shots. John could never risk making himself vulnerable like that. But he had such a beautiful warmth. One of my other great memories of John is from when we were having some argument. I was disagreeing and we were calling each other names. We let it settle for a second, and then he lowered his glasses and he said: 'It's only me'...and then he put his glasses back on again. To me, that was John. Those were the moments when I actually saw him without the facade..the armour...Which I loved as well, like anyone else. It was a beautiful suit of armour. But it was wonderful when he let the visor down and you'd just see the John Lennon that he was frightened to reveal to the world." - Paul McCartney

"I remember being very impressed with John's big thick sideboards and trendy teddy boy clothes. He was a terribly sarcastic bugger right from day one, but I never dared back down from him. In a way, all that emotional rough stuff was simply a way for him to help separate the men from the boys, I think. I was never intimidated by him. Whenever he had a go at me I just gave him a little bit of his own right back." - George Harrison

Sorry, I kept finding good ones!
pepperland67 is offline   Reply With Quote