View Single Post
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:16 AM   #59
Fly
Dr. Robert

Default Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray"

I was listening to the Imagine album this past weekend (what a damn work of art) and I kept thinking about this book thread that I haven't posted in because I'm not as scholarly as some of you b*tches. Well, low and behold, Crippled Inside starts playing and I remember one of the few books I actually read on my book list in junior high. I think this may have been Oscar Wilde's only published novel, but don't ask me- direct any questions to wildewoman.

Anyway, what struck me in the lyrics of Crippled Inside (which I don't think was written with PAUL in mind at all- John had other people he thought about and I personally think he could have just been singing in general or even about his fine self) is that they run parallele to the underlying theme of this book. There's this dude who is obsessed with his physical appearance, but he's a nasty @**hole and the mirror starts showing his decaying soul/inner person.

And the lyrics in Crippled Inside are:

"You can shine your shoes and wear a suit
You can comb your hair and look quite cute
You can hide your face behind a smile
One thing you can't hide
Is when you're crippled inside"

So I really think that John may have read this book and got the dark, deep theme of it. And he thought about it in life as a whole. You know, maybe some of his own f***-ups, maybe people he knew, maybe people in general.

I really do hope that we start this book club at some point in February! I have a little time off during the middle of the month and I can put the ipad to good use.

Who's in charge? I assume either Apple Scruff, hibgal, wildewoman, or Maia. Well, listen up ladies: I would truly appreciate it if you would not assign something very complex or long for the first month. Go easy on me. The only reading I do is either word-related or children's books. I need something a little in between.

Thank you kindly.