View Single Post
Old May 06, 2003, 08:45 AM   #3
onosideboards
Taxman

Default Re: Paperback Writer idea

Quote:
Originally Posted By HMVNipper:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Originally Posted By onosideboards:
I was wondering if the moderators would consider adding a new and extremely useful forum devoted to fanfic ONLY. The Paperback Writer forum is mostly filled with fanfic stuff yet the forum is described as a place to discuss the thousands of books about the Beatles.

Fanfic is COMPLETELY different than a published biography or compendium about the Beatles so I feel it therefore deserves a different forum. When I go to Paperback Writer, I should only see reviews or questions about Beatle books...wouldn't you agree? I think dividing up the forums would have a positive impact on forum organization.

I hope you will strongly consider this idea. Thanks!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I am one of the moderators of the forum in question, and frankly, I don't see the need for two forums. Of course, that would ultimately be up to Jerry, but just because I write and read fanfic, it doesn't mean, for example, that I'm not qualified to discuss Beatles books and other materials -- I read, I know my Beatles history, and I think you'd find that most fanfic writers are eager to discuss "real" Beatles books too. I am not sure that relegating fanfic people to another forum is exactly fair, either, since most fanfic writers and readers certainly do read and write other things about the Beatles and are as knowledgeable as anyone else regarding the real history.

I don't know, though, that actual fanfic stories in progress should be posted in the Paperback Writer forum -- for one thing, they take up a lot of space, and for another, asking for feedback in such a public place can be embarrassing for the writer if someone dares to say they don't like something, and constant praise is just phoney and accomplishes nothing. But I honestly don't see the need for two forums -- lately, there has been a bit more discussion about fanfic in that forum than there has about published biographies and other books. But that is not always the case, and when they do come up in topics, people do pay attention, and there have been some spirited discussions of the merits of various biographies and authors in the past.

Ultimately, the decision is up to Jerry, but that's my view as one of the moderators.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I didn't mean to offend any fanfic authors and I'm sorry if I did. I'm not saying fanfic isn't written well or anything like that. Just please take a sec to consider my point...

I think that your second paragraph agrees with my point of view...and I'd add to that why WOULDN'T the majority of fanfic authors enjoy a forum where only those interested in reviewing and reading fanfic can discuss it without the intrusion of others who are not interested? I would think it would create a more open discussion about fan fic because it IS scary to share your work. I'm a writer too, so I know exactly what it's like.

And as for a new forum being unfair...I really don't understand that. There are different forums for each Beatle, right? Could that be called unfair? In fact, recently there was some discussion over a Paul article in the general news section that was moved to Red Rose Speedway. I never go to Red Rose Speedway but I may have been interested in Paul news--just not Paul praise/discussion. So, I could argue that that's not fair. Or what about the "Your Mother Should Know" or "Mind Games" forums...why are they seperated from "Abbey Road," or seperated from each other for that matter?

My point is NOT that fanfic is not literature or worthy of discussion. On the contrary, fanfic deserves lots of discussion and therefore its own forum just to keep the place tidy and organized. I do not mean to offend when I say fanfic is different from published works--but you must admit that they posess different goals.
onosideboards is offline   Reply With Quote