View Single Post
Old Apr 22, 2006, 08:07 AM   #11
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Nope. I've been a Beatles fan for over 30 years, and I relate to the songs as songs. If I hear them in ads, I gloss over them. The songs came before the ads in my consciousness, and that is how they stay, pure and unsullied. (That goes for other groups too -- I don't, for instance, think of the various CSI shows whenever I hear the Who, even though I know a bunch of their songs are used as show themes!)

Frankly, I never think of sneakers when I hear Revolution, never think of any other products when I hear other songs. I'd be hard-pressed to tell you what Beatles songs have been used in commercials other than Revolution being used to sell sneakers, actually.

I do agree, though, that newer fans, who maybe didn't have a "relationship" with the song before they heard it in an ad, will forever associate it with commercials...which is really kinda sad.
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin

Last edited by HMVNipper : Apr 22, 2006 at 08:09 AM.
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote