Ailurophile Posted:
[ QUOTE ]
PotatoBeatle Posted:
[ QUOTE ]
Ailurophile Posted:
[ QUOTE ]
beatlebangs1964 Posted:

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and while I'm at it...though I do recognize their place in musical history (overrated though it is), I can't STAND the Sex Pistols. One of the worst experiences of my life was being forced to listen to "Never Mind the Bollocks" several times in a row by a so-called "friend" back when it was new. I don't think I ever got over the trauma! And it's not that I don't like Punk, either, because I do like some, by other groups, ones who could actually PLAY. And they didn't have to play WELL, either -- I mean, I like the Ramones. It's just that I am not and never have been of the opinon that simply making a loud, discordant noise and shouting nasty words over it constitutes "music."

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't stand the Sex Pistols AT ALL and would rather hear air raid sirens. I thought they were a parody of music and were a nihilistic statement that was against music. Anyroad, I can't stand them.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Never Mind The Bollocks" is a terrible album. It's extremely over-rated. Most of the songs are dull and vacant and horrible, just as you say, but . . . there are three great songs there. I think that "Holidays In The Sun", "God Save The Queen", and especially "Anarchy In the U.K." are good and not nihilistic and all. Holidays is simply absurdist and frantic, whereas God Save and Anarchy are simple political, anti-authoritarian statements. Lines like "I am an AntiChrist" (and Johnny Rotten's accompanying t-shirt) are simple sensationalism, and that shouldn't cover up the fact that some of their music is really good. There's a lot of energy and vitality there, and savage though it may be, it is not an evil energy. Especially they have these great warping, whirling bass-lines that meld perfectly with the guitar. I really dig those.

Of course I also have a thing for Johnny Rotten's voice, so that may be influencing me quite a bit, but I do understand the "discordant/naughty" part too, "Bodies" is just terrifying. It's just I think there was a genuine spark of genius there.

And I like the Ramones too. Much more positive vibes from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do like the Sex Pistols very much and I love their one and only album. (Yes ALL of it, sorry to the folks that don't.) Some may see their place in the history of rock and roll as overrated, but the reason why they've received the attention is because they're probably the most widely recognized symbol of punk rock, and most people seem to believe that they were the first of the punk bands, which is a whole other argument in itself. And yes, loud, obscene, vacant (ahem, the song "Pretty Vacant"?) and "anti music" they were.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I didn't think anyone would get that pun!

[ QUOTE ]
PotatoBeatle Posted:
The 1976-1977 punk movement had many reasons for why they were the way they were. One reason as to why they sounded agressive is because they wanted to try to get back to nitty gritty rock n'roll that anyone could learn to play as opposed to the progressive bands and super groups who at the time were dominating the charts and/or had strayed away from their original sound, and were distant from their fans by means of musical skill, physical accessibility, and attitude. I don't want to give the impression that I am knocking progressive bands as a whole, since I do love progressive rock.... But, I do agree about The Sex Pistols' sensationalism factor. After all, the Sex Pistols were almost a total fabrication of Malcom McLaren who owned the shop 'Sex', and who previously managed the New York Dolls. He was quite the enterprenuer and ideas man, (he was somehow involved with the Situationist International movement) and after the Pistols received a large amount of attention, I'm guessing here that his shop received a lot more business due to them. And in turn the Pistols made way for other less rude, more talented and more positive punk bands, (my personal favorite, The Clash ) and then some bands far more obscene and less skilled than the Pistols themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know . . . but it just seems to me that the singles are the highlights and the rest of the album is kind of . . . derivative. I know part of the point is that everything is supposed to sound the same, but, to me at least, cuts like "Sub-mission" and "New York City" seem boring. "Seventeen" has a nice line, though . . . "I'm a lazy sod." Always makes me laugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I happen to love the Sex Pistols and most 70's punk (although new punk is awful, i mean-avril lavigne and good charlotte is whats considered punk????!!!!!), and i agree that they are probably more famous for there singles,image and attitude,not there musical skills (really, you think Sid was hired cuz he could play bass?) but there always good when you wanna crank up the volume and listen to something REAL loud. But sometimes i feel kinda funny listening to 'em, when i think about how they fired original bassist Glen Mattlock because he liked the Beatles! (unlike other punk bands at the time-like the Clash,Ramones and Iggy Pop, who have all admitted there like for the fab 4)

anyway- sometimes i just cant stand KISS. They have some good music, but what annoys me more is the fact that they spend more time trying to sell there merchandise then making music.

P.S Stairway to heaven is a good song, but is WAY overrated, i remember hearing it for the first time after these wannabe guitarists told me how awesome it is and remember thinking Thats it?!!!
Pepperland Kamer is offline   Reply With Quote