View Single Post
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:03 PM   #11
hibgal
Sun King

Default Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

And from the avant-garde to the... young girl's classic Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. Yes folks, cool John read it and had it still in his library when interviewed by Maureen Cleave in 1966.

First published in 1868, Little Women follows the lives, loves and tribulations of fours sisters growing up during the American Civil War. The story is based the childhood experiences Alcott shared with her real life sisters, Anna, May and Elzabeth. The novel stars Jo, Meg, Beth and Amy and explores the rich nuances of family and family relationships.

The book beings thus:

Quote:
Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents, grumbled Jo, lying on the rug.

It's so dreadful to be poor! sighed Meg, looking down at her old dress.

I don't think it's fair for some girls to have plenty of pretty things and other girls nothing at all, added little Amy, with an injured sniff.

We've got Father and Mother, and each other, said Beth contentedly from her corner.
Lots of cheap editions to be had or you can read it free as an ebook!

This book has been read by generations, I read it myself while still a young girl, but never that I would've expected John Lennon to have also read it and enjoyed it enough to keep it!

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote