View Single Post
Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:01 AM   #39
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post

Who do you think writes the better lyrics, Julian or Sean ? Sean seems to be pretty talented, as far as I can judge from "Friendly Fire"...

Snoopy
That is a great question! I'm going to be completely honest and say both. I know a lot of people may think I am being uber-diplomatic all the time with regards Jules & Sean's music and I get that, but I really, honestly feel they are both so talented. On Photograph Smile, Julian had a lot of really beautiful lyrics on songs like "Day After Day," "Walls," "I Should Have Known," and, well, basically all the songs. He has a more serious sound. I hate to say it but it is a little more Adult Contemporary, but nothing wrong with that. He has a beautiful voice and he writes pretty songs. I appreciate that. Is he a rocker? Not too much quite frankly, but so what?

Sean writes in a very poetic way. Like his lyrics for "Parachute" read so beautifully on paper. And he has a amazing grasp of analogies and idioms, but he's very expressive emotionally with his words. For example, his lyrics on "Heart and Lung" aren't complex, but they fit the music and the purpose of the song so perfectly. On Friendly Fire, Sean is very wrapped in emotion but he never allows himself to get mawkish. I adore that about him. Everything fits, like the way his heart yearns for the girl but then he realizes she's not worth it on the song "On Again, Off Again."

I believe both men have really beautiful lyrics, but Sean's on Friendly Fire always stick with me. I can't get the words out of my head if I listen to the album once- the words or the music. It's like a perfect marriage, and then there's Sean's GOASTT stuff which has the most outrageously fantastic lyrics. They're crazy and sublime at the same time. I don't know...

John had himself a couple of pretty awesome sons.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Sep 06, 2011 at 07:02 AM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote