View Single Post
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:52 PM   #44
larainefan
Little Child

I've thought long and hard how to respond to this. When I said George was a free spirit, I meant it. I think he had so much love---spiritually, emotionally, mentally, that sometimes that was bound to spread carnally outside of any acknowledged boundaries. I love George, but I think he would have been hard to hold onto. Not only because of the promiscuity, but also because he was in such a rush to leave this world and go onto the next. To me, that would leave a very lonesome feeling in the partner. Thankfully, Olivia shared George's views on those matters though.

The word 'slut' is neither bad or good, male or female, it is what it is---a descriptive term meaning one who indulges in a lot of sex.

I find it very telling and sad George had so little regard for himself, and the act of sex, that he allowed himself to be passed around so freely. Sex became as mundane as brushing one's teeth. Olivia was expected to wait patiently by, how would he have liked it if she'd behaved in like manner? It is astonishing he would finally have what he wanted in life, a loving wife and son, and then be subconsciously willing to throw it all away. He's fortunate Olivia was strong and forgiving, bound to hold onto the marriage regardless of the cost to her emotionally. That she chose to stay with him says a lot about George, too, that he had sterling superior qualities worth staying around for. Ringo, too, wanted to hold onto George as a best friend even after the Maureen fiasco, and that also shows just how deeply George was loved.

You can look into George's eyes and tell he was a kind and gentle and deep person, his smile shows he must have been one of the sweetest persons ever. I'm looking forward to the DVD to find out how George rationalized and justified all the sides to his character. It is a shame that Olivia chose to be open and candid and honest with that one statement, and the media ran away with it. I'm so jealous of the reviewers who have been able to see this film already, and after 3 1/2 hours, that's all they learned, all that resonated? And it's not as if it's a new fact, anyway, we all knew George had many women through his life.

I'm equally looking forward to Olivia's book, which will share George's letters and journals. If we can read his words, see how he actually felt about all that was happening around him, maybe it will be like stepping into his mind, and understanding him better.

I do make allowances for George, even having said all the above. I have no doubt it was hard for him to be monogamous, after all he'd experienced. I think when he was a young teen, John and Paul were terrible influences, the worst people he could have emulated in how to treat women. I think he was sent too young to Hamburg, had so much vice thrown at him which he was not yet emotionally mature enough to handle. I do think Beatlemania psychologically traumatized him. The true George is when I read about him from birth to near age 20, after that the fame, money, power, and drugs take hold. I think the rest of his life, and the spirituality, was George trying to find his way back to reconnect to that true self---a sweet, loving, considerate boy who looked out for his family, for animals, for disadvantaged souls, a solitary boy who loved to take off on his own for long walks along the river to commune with nature.

Sidenote: I read the Beatles UK Tours 1963-1966, at the end the interviewer asked all who had encountered the Beatles in those early days, both fans and fellow performers, if they had a favorite Beatle, they unanimously said George. George was (paraphrasing, I don't have the book right at hand just now) "kind" "funny" "such a gentle soul" "such a lovely lad" "a very spiritual person". That to me is the real George, the one people responded to, and I'm interested in the DVD and book to see how George was able to manage and reconcile all his varied roles.