BeatleLinks Fab Forum

BeatleLinks Fab Forum (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/index.php)
-   Red Rose Speedway (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Run Devil Run (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10926)

sourmilkpinky Oct 03, 2003 03:45 AM

Run Devil Run

Hi guys, I just did a forum search for an existing topic about this awesome album. I was surprised to find only one and it quickly turned into a discussion about the special interview cd. So I thought I'd start a new one about the album itself.

I personally think this is a fantastic album. Granted it is mostly covers, but some absolutely great covers at that. Some good basic rock and roll. The combination of musicians are fantastic. And Paul's voice is just grrrrrr....

I really like his two new songs on this also. Alot. The chorus of 'What It Is' might be a little repetitive but comes from his heart. I think it is a good tribute to Linda.

As For 'Run Devil Run', I think he finally has his Little Richard song. He has been trying since 'I'm Down' and 'She's A Woman' to get that Little Richard style and 'Run Devil Run' is it. Magnificent rocker.

So please let me have some opinions.

Rellevart Oct 03, 2003 05:02 AM

Re: Run Devil Run

I love this album, but I find I'm generally in the minority on that. I played it endlessly right after it came out - great energy, great singing, interesting song choices (mostly lesser known stuff, which I think is cool). I like almost everything on it, except the Ricky Nelson song - that one kind of puts me to sleep. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Danoota64 Oct 03, 2003 06:48 AM

NO OTHER BABY knocks my socks off. definitely my fave on this album.

[img]graemlins/peace.gif[/img]

onosideboards Oct 03, 2003 08:58 AM

I was rather disappointed in this album. My fave version of Paul has always been him rocking out, especially to old songs--so I thought this would be perfect. I expected it to be as good as "Unplugged" and the Russian album, but I find that it falls short of those two.

But yes, "No Other Baby" is the highlight. He does it perfectly. I recently read that he's never even owned that record, he just had it memorized from way back. Bloody amazing, that guy. And his new stuff on there is decent enough. Overall though, the album misses the raw sound I enjoyed in the other two albums I mentioned.

darkhorse Oct 03, 2003 01:39 PM

Really surprised about the responses! I thought this album was better considered amongst McCartney fans. I love it! It's got a rocking power and great McCartney vocals. I like pretty much all of the songs (except for "Shake A Hand" maybe)... and the three originals are great little classics (especially "Try Not To Cry"). "No Other Baby" is for sure the higlight, but songs like "Honey Hush", "She Said Yeah", "Brown-Eyed Handsome Man" and "Let's Have A Party" are awesome songs.

Goes without saying that to me this album is a lot better than Driving Rain, even... In fact this was my reference to judge Driving Rain when it came out. I thought "if Paul is going to sing like this, and sound this powerful, it will be a GREAT album".

But then again, it wasn't. (I can almost see Legs's reply to this [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

Winston1976 Oct 03, 2003 01:47 PM

Lonesome town! One of my favorites on this album. And the el croquete song or something, I can't think of the title.

beatlegirl9977 Oct 03, 2003 06:17 PM

I love that album! I'd definitely pick RDR over Driving Rain any day. Brown Eyed Handsome Man is my favorite song on the CD, and there's really only a couple songs I'm not too crazy about on there. It's also a nice companion to the Live at the Cavern DVD, considering most of the songs are on both.

BLANKIT Oct 03, 2003 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted By Danoota64:
NO OTHER BABY knocks my socks off. definitely my fave on this album.

[img]graemlins/peace.gif[/img]

<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I could listen to that song over and over all day long, it thrills me to the bone!!!!
[img]graemlins/rolling3.gif[/img]

Legs Oct 04, 2003 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted By onosideboards:
Overall though, the album misses the raw sound I enjoyed in the other two albums I mentioned.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">It's in some cases to polished. David Gilmour being in the band is one reason for it. Dave is a great guitar player, but not for an rock "n" roll album. For that typical melodic Floyd sound yes, but not for Rock "N" Roll.

Still an enjoyable album. "No Other Baby" is my favourite to, but his three original songs are amazingly good.

sourmilkpinky Oct 04, 2003 05:24 AM

Oh yeahhh... me too. No Other Baby is my favorite. Great bass. I actually prefer the dvd version from Live at the Cavern better but this is a great song. Strange video though.

Brown Eyed Handsome Man is another favorite. Great video.

just a thought, but it could be I prefer this cd because I was able to watch it being performed.

ShellyP Oct 26, 2003 10:10 AM

I'm glad to see someone posted this topic...I love this album. I think it is one of the BEST Macca albums. I agree with everyone here that No Other Baby is awesome. It almost sounds like a Chris Issak-type song. You can tell when you listen to the album that he was having a ball.

Rellevart Oct 26, 2003 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted By ShellyP:
No Other Baby is awesome. It almost sounds like a Chris Issak-type song.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Hey, that's a good point....it is kind of like that. Hadn't thought of that before, but I totally agree with you. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[- Seltaeb -] Oct 27, 2003 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted By Winston1976:
Lonesome town! One of my favorites on this album. And the el croquete song or something, I can't think of the title.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Agree... Lonsome town, great mental image...Its hard describe a place like this with so few words...

sourmilkpinky Nov 06, 2003 03:10 PM

Have you guys heard Ricky Nelson's version of 'Lonesome Town'? I actually heard it at work and Paul's version is so much better. I really shouldn't be surprised but I was, I almost didn't recognize it.

Flamingheather Nov 07, 2003 02:39 PM

I love Run devil run.

RunDeviRun and Flaming Pie have to me my 2 favorite albums.

He performed the songs from RDR so great in the
"Live at the Cavern" show

[size="1"][ Nov 07, 2003, 03:00 PM: Message Edited By: Flamingheather ][/size]

beatlebangs1964 Nov 07, 2003 03:26 PM

Definitely a keeper.