BeatleLinks Fab Forum

BeatleLinks Fab Forum (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/index.php)
-   Red Rose Speedway (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   "Say, say, say" (2015 remix) (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49696)

ABCKO Oct 14, 2015 02:22 AM

"Say, say, say" (2015 remix)

I was never quite one of my favorites, save, maybe, the vocal melody on some of the Paul bit "You never ever worry and you never shed a tear"

But this "new" version's getting me to like it a bit more, notably, despite my surely not being a Jacko fan (!), due to Micahel's scat-vocal near the end

One thing though, is ALL of this "new" version from the 1981-82 sessions, or did they add anything to it (percussion, drum machine, ect...) for this release ?

I know, "remix" is supposed (!) to imply "nothing added"... but you never know... some of the "beat" of this version sounds rather "modern"

Uncle_Albert Oct 14, 2015 08:52 AM

While listening to a DJ John “Jellybean” Benitez remix of the song earlier this year, McCartney remembered that there were unused vocal tracks from the recording sessions. He fished them out, sat down with his chief engineer, Steve Orchard, and began recreating the classic collaboration. The unearthed vocal performances actually switched the progression of the song, with Jackson opening the verses instead of McCartney, and elongated the four minute song to a full seven. To give the track an even grander update, McCartney sent the final product to Mark “Spent” Stent for one final remix.

ABCKO Oct 14, 2015 10:30 PM

Thanks... but still doesn't specify if anything "new" was added to it, or not... ;)

bobdude Oct 15, 2015 08:41 PM

Orchard says: “Paul remembered that there were two unused lead vocal performances by Michael and himself. He said we should try putting the unused lead vocals onto the Jellybean mix. The Jellybean mix is a 12" and is much longer than the original version. It was originally made by making edit sections of the song with different instruments being muted to make up new sections and then spliced together.

“I needed to edit and arrange the alternative lead vocals to fit the 12" format. We then rearranged the vocal sequence and inverted the original performance so that Michael opened the first verse instead of Paul, to give the song a different take to the original version. Then we added additional backing vocal parts from the original multi-track to further enhance the instrumental mix. Paul then said it would be great to get Spike Stent to mix the new version of the track to give the song a new vibe.”

......So, from these remembrances; it appears as if there isn't any "new instrumentation", but some 'new' old vocals flown in.
I like the way it sounds. My views of it have changed over the twenty years.

beatlebangs1964 Oct 17, 2015 04:35 AM

"Say, Say, Say" was never one of my favorites either. This new information is very interesting. I will have to check out the remix.

However, I think "Freedom" quite horrid and I will take "Say, Say, Say" over "Freedom" any day. Then again, I'd take the train whistle over "Freedom." I dislike it that much.

Colonel Angus Oct 23, 2015 03:59 PM

Can you admit to hating that wretched song Ebony and Ivory without being called a racist?

Bongo Oct 23, 2015 04:03 PM

Why, why, why is my question???:scream2: