BeatleLinks Fab Forum

BeatleLinks Fab Forum (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/index.php)
-   Abbey Road (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Huge Research Project (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45702)

BeatleNut9 Feb 08, 2012 01:43 PM

Huge Research Project

Hello, Beatle Peedles!

I've been trying to start a huge research project for a while now, but the amount of tedious research is too intimidating for me to get anywhere...so I thought I'd ask for help. I'm just praying there's some people willing to help...we all know SO many facts we've accumulated over our years of fandom, but it's incredibly difficult trying to find all of this little information in reliable sources that I can reference!

I'm just going to post random things I need and hope to get replies...

Let's start with this: Can anyone find me sources that have the record for how many people actually were watching the 1st Ed Sullivan show appearance, how many homes had television sets in America at the time so that I can compare the population and the number of viewers, and the records for "no crime from 8:00-9:00" that stunned all of America's police? Thanks!

Jerry Feb 08, 2012 01:50 PM

Pretty sure all that stuff is in Bruce Spizer's book 'The Beatles Are Coming!'...
http://beatle.net/beatles-are-coming/

Incredibly detailed info on the early American stuff. I've got it at home, I can look it up later.

LMW28IF Feb 08, 2012 02:56 PM

Found this...

BEATLES SHOOT "J.R." AND NEARLY SMASH "M*A*S*H"!

The first Beatles-Sullivan show was watched by a staggering 40.5% of the nation. The second show attracted 39.2% of the US. Those two broadcasts top 1982's "Super Bowl XVI" (38.13%) and the legendary 1980 "Who Shot J.R.?" episode of "Dallas" (37.78%)

The only TV broadcast that has been viewed by a higher percentage of the U.S. population than the first two Beatles-Sullivan shows was the 1983 finale of "M*A*S*H" - which attracted 46.9%. However - unlike the two Sullivan shows which were regular-duration one-hour shows in a regularly-scheduled timeslot - the "M*A*S*H" finale was a special national TV event - a 150-minute TV movie special.

It is also noteworthy that "M*A*S*H" scored its 46.9% at a time when virtually 100% of U.S. households had a television. The Beatles' 40.5% and 39.2% were achieved from a smaller "TV universe" - a 1964 America where 8% of the households had no TV.

At... http://www.thefab40.com/ratingspr.html

LMW28IF Feb 08, 2012 02:57 PM

73 million plus is the figure I have always read for the first Sullivan show.

LMW28IF Feb 08, 2012 03:04 PM

The "crime" comment started out as a backhanded swipe at The Beatles. The later retraction in Newsweek was perhaps a swipe back, or at least tongue in cheek about a hipster without a tv set but with 4 new hubcaps.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/beatles.asp

wallrus59 Feb 08, 2012 04:25 PM

this place has a lot of info too.

http://www.beatlesbible.com/

gk.

Jerry Feb 08, 2012 06:55 PM

From Spizer's book...

Over 73 million people watching. CBS received over 50,000 requests for tickets to the show, with only 1,500 getting in.

Spizer also goes over the myth about no crimes, but it's all on that Snopes link.

BeatleNut9 Feb 09, 2012 09:56 AM

You all are amazing. Thank you so much! I don't mind doing all of the research if I can have helpers narrow down where to look for each thing I'm searching for, just as you've done.

I'll continue to post little things and endlessly thank you all for being so generous! YAY! I appreciate it more than you know.

PS: Happy Ed Sullivan Show 1 Day, everybody!

Jerry Feb 09, 2012 10:30 AM

If your project is focused on their visit US visit, get the Spizer book and save yourself a ton of time.

BeatleNut9 Feb 12, 2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry (Post 1096302)
If your project is focused on their visit US visit, get the Spizer book and save yourself a ton of time.

Unfortunately, it's not that focused...but thank you for the suggestion! I do have some of the Spizer books and will be pulling them out! :]

BeatleNut9 Feb 12, 2012 11:31 AM

Okie Dokie...I found some inconsistent research online regarding the boys' IQs. I've heard John's was anywhere from 140-180, Paul's was anywhere from 120-175, George was at/around 165, and no one had said a word about Ringo that I could find. Does anyone have a reliable source that gives a certain number? Thanks!

I don't put much importance on people's IQ results, but since the world does, I'd like to know these numbers if that's possible...

Duke Feb 13, 2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatleNut9 (Post 1096543)
Okie Dokie...I found some inconsistent research online regarding the boys' IQs. I've heard John's was anywhere from 140-180, Paul's was anywhere from 120-175, George was at/around 165, and no one had said a word about Ringo that I could find.

None of the Beatles ever took an IQ test so those figures are irrelevant. I think you're pulling our legs.

BeatleNut9 Jul 02, 2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke (Post 1096650)
None of the Beatles ever took an IQ test so those figures are irrelevant. I think you're pulling our legs.

I have no reason to pull anyone's leg. I'm asking about something that I've read. If it's not true, it's not my information to begin with. That's precisely why I'm asking about it & why I asked if anyone has a reliable source to help me out...

BeatleNut9 Jul 02, 2013 11:13 AM

I've been overwhelmed with this project & still researching on my own, but I think I'm going to officially revive my quest. Hopefully I'll get this thread rolling again very soon. I appreciate anyone & everyone who wants to be helpful because I'll need it! Thanks in advance :]

BeatleNut9 Mar 04, 2014 01:54 PM

I forget what documentary I saw a year or two ago, but it had a wonderful little part where it mentioned how the boys helped their friends out when they made it big. I know one of them bought a grocery store for a friend, but I forget who did that for who…& I've forgotten the other 3 things too. If this sounds familiar & anyone has this information, I'd love to know again! In the meantime, I'm going to try to keep looking for that information again online. Also, if there's more, please add anything similar to the list! Thanks! :]

ringo_rama Mar 04, 2014 09:37 PM

I don't know what documentary it was, but I know John bought a grocery store for Pete Shotton.

BeatleNut9 Mar 05, 2014 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ringo_rama (Post 1123858)
I don't know what documentary it was, but I know John bought a grocery store for Pete Shotton.

Awesome! Thank you very much for the confirmation! I'll try to find the source, no worries.

I also realized after I posted that, in "Lennon In America," it says John bought Mater's son Stan a service station. I think Ringo ended up buying someone some kind of salon after realizing that he would never have his own…things like that. I'd like as many examples of such generosity as possible from each of the guys. Didn't John buy Mimi a new home in the 70s? I forget where I read that too…probably Julia Baird's book.

bassist groupie Mar 06, 2014 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatleNut9 (Post 1123862)
Awesome! Thank you very much for the confirmation! I'll try to find the source, no worries.

I also realized after I posted that, in "Lennon In America," it says John bought Mater's son Stan a service station. I think Ringo ended up buying someone some kind of salon after realizing that he would never have his own…things like that. I'd like as many examples of such generosity as possible from each of the guys. Didn't John buy Mimi a new home in the 70s? I forget where I read that too…probably Julia Baird's book.

John bought a house in Poole in Dorset. You could see the house from regular tours, and the tour guides would always point it out. (I went having a mooch when I was on holiday in Weymouth!)

Paul bought his Dad his house in the Wirral, amongst many other things!

Do you want charitable things as well? George Harrison donated to the Palm House in Liverpool to make up for the fact he used to smash the windows when he was a kid! His donation is under the Material World foundation

SilverBeatle Mar 11, 2014 01:33 PM

I remember John bought a house that his relatives lived in and Yoko sold it out from under them after he died.

BeatleNut9 Mar 12, 2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassist groupie (Post 1123873)
John bought a house in Poole in Dorset. You could see the house from regular tours, and the tour guides would always point it out. (I went having a mooch when I was on holiday in Weymouth!)

Paul bought his Dad his house in the Wirral, amongst many other things!

Do you want charitable things as well? George Harrison donated to the Palm House in Liverpool to make up for the fact he used to smash the windows when he was a kid! His donation is under the Material World foundation

Yes! Charitable things count too! Thank you so much.

BeatleNut9 Mar 12, 2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverBeatle (Post 1123930)
I remember John bought a house that his relatives lived in and Yoko sold it out from under them after he died.

Ugh…I remember hearing/reading about that too. Sigh. That's so wrong.

KEROUAC Jun 05, 2014 06:58 AM

George also gave Bhaktivedanta Manor to the Hare Krishna movement in 1973 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhaktivedanta_Manor It's close to where I live.

ringo_rama Jun 05, 2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatleNut9 (Post 1123862)

Dunno if you're looking for the documentary you referenced, but Pete Shotton talks about it in his book John Lennon In My Life.

BeatleNut9 Aug 26, 2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ringo_rama (Post 1125508)
Dunno if you're looking for the documentary you referenced, but Pete Shotton talks about it in his book John Lennon In My Life.

Oh, thank you! :D

Bongo Aug 26, 2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatleNut9 (Post 1120075)
I've been overwhelmed with this project & still researching on my own, but I think I'm going to officially revive my quest.

Sounds to me like you should focus on 1 part of their career, as too much has happened to them from the beginnings, to Beatlemania, to the breakup,a nd everything in between.

No matter what era you pick, it alone can be overwhelming!

Look what Ron Howard is doing regarding the touring era, and that will be a massive project.

Just my 2 cents.....

BeatleNut9 Oct 14, 2015 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bongo (Post 1126562)
Sounds to me like you should focus on 1 part of their career, as too much has happened to them from the beginnings, to Beatlemania, to the breakup,a nd everything in between.

No matter what era you pick, it alone can be overwhelming!

Look what Ron Howard is doing regarding the touring era, and that will be a massive project.

Just my 2 cents.....

You're absolutely right. I've got a big project on my hands...but I'm determined to at least try my idea(s) out. What I need to do is break it down into smaller projects and then piece them together later. Thank you! (4 years & 2 months later, I will not give up! LOL)

BeatleNut9 Oct 18, 2015 02:00 PM

Today's question shall be:

I've heard that Paul's interest in a seemingly unknown & still unsuccessful Magritte is what led to his popularity and fame...that Paul is essentially responsible for Magritte's career actually becoming a success. Does anyone have any sources that can confirm this?

I know that Magritte was the inspiration behind the logo for Apple, thanks to Paul who says he still owns that painting. I was just wondering if Magritte really didn't have any success before then, if there were any sources that confirmed Paul's responsibility for his success, or if that's a false exaggeration based on Paul adapting the apple for their logo.

Any information at all on the subject is appreciated. Thanks!

BeatleNut9 Feb 10, 2016 09:05 AM

Since the Fab Forum seems to be much less active than it used to be (and we need to fix this problem because this place is AMAZING) please follow me on Twitter @BeatleWriter to help me in the future! Thanks!

Harb83 Feb 10, 2016 10:43 AM

I still visit when I can now.

BeatleNut9 Sep 12, 2017 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harb83 (Post 1130021)
I still visit when I can now.

I totally understand that. I feel the same way.