BeatleLinks Fab Forum

BeatleLinks Fab Forum (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/index.php)
-   Paperback Writer (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   By Hook Or By Crook ! (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7612)

LuvLennon Oct 16, 2003 06:31 PM

By Hook Or By Crook !

I've always wondered what the source was for John's quote "By Hook Or By Crook I'll Be The Last In This Book" on the last page of the Anthology book. I've scanned the photo credits etc so many times without any luck...does any one have any ideas?

Johnna Lynn Oct 16, 2003 09:39 PM

Re: By Hook Or By Crook !

Quote:

Originally Posted By LuvLennon:
I've always wondered what the source was for John's quote "By Hook Or By Crook I'll Be The Last In This Book" on the last page of the Anthology book. I've scanned the photo credits etc so many times without any luck...does any one have any ideas?
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">That quote is a Lennon original, written when he was a boy. It is assumed the quote is in his handwriting, probably taken from The Daily Howl, a comic he wrote as a youngster.

LuvLennon Oct 17, 2003 04:35 AM

Thanks Johnna Lynn! I thought the writing looked like a younger John! I do love the way it was placed on the very last page!

Johnna Lynn Oct 17, 2003 06:21 AM

Quote:

Thanks Johnna Lynn! I thought the writing looked like a younger John! I do love the way it was placed on the very last page!
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">You are welcome, LuvLennon!
It is nice to know someone placed that quote at the end Of Anthology with care.

beatlebangs1964 Oct 17, 2003 10:48 AM

By Hook or By Crook is an old cliche meaning "by any means possible, be it fair or foul." I don't know the origin, but Sleepy might. She has extensive knowledge of cliche origins.

lennonluvr9 Oct 17, 2003 02:33 PM

I sometimes write that in yearbooks! lol!

SleepyHead Oct 18, 2003 12:36 AM

As far back as Mosaic times, the less fortunate members of society (widows, orphans, the elderly, and the lame) were by law free to pick up whatever harvested items fell to the ground behind those who harvested the crops for the wealthy, so long as no extraodinary efforts on the part of the unfortunate were required other than bending over and picking them up. It was quite illegal to actually pluck from the plant or tree itself, as anything still attached belonged to the landowner or crop owner himself.

Of course, those who couldn't bend over for themselves, for presumably health reasons, were allowed to use their walking staff. Being mostly shepherdic societies, those disabled who found themselves in need of such a staff were also normally too disabled to cut themselves a new staff, and would use their old shepherd's staff.

To use the staff legitimately was okay - but those who didn't need the staff were guilty of using extraordinary means.

In medieval times, the laws of the land also entitled the destitute to fruits and nuts that had fallen naturally from the trees in the landowners' orchards. While it was perfectly okay to "hook" the fallen fruit, it was decidedly illegal to use the crook-end of the shepherd's staff to shake the live fruit from the trees.

"By hook, or by crook" simply is a restatement of the obvious - by fair means (by the allowed hooking of fallen items to a reachable place) or foul (by the unentitled crook, or using the crook in the wrong way.)

An interesting side note: another derivative of the old "by hook or by crook" was "hooky-crooky", just a short phrase to describe someone who would use any means, legal or not, to acheive their own ends. This phrase later shortened to "hookey", and was used to describe those who shagged off work or lessons by the use of deception.

LuvLennon Oct 28, 2003 06:05 PM

I was actually only asking about the origin in terms of when John had written and where, but thanks for that extensive explanation as to the origin of the term itself, you learn something new every day!

SleepyHead Oct 28, 2003 11:36 PM

Sorry about that, LuvLennon - as for when and where John penned that originally, I'd read it somewhere, but can't remember where. I seem to recall it was an actual book, though, not "The Daily Howl".

BB seemed interested in the meaning of the cliché itself, so I thought I'd add it in...

Johnna Lynn Oct 29, 2003 07:59 AM

Quote:

I was actually only asking about the origin in terms of when John had written and where, but thanks for that extensive explanation as to the origin of the term itself, you learn something new every day!
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Hey all!
Some of what ended up in In His Own Write and A Spaniard In The Works came from John's childhood 'comics' and doodles. I referred to The Daily Howl because that's the first 'compilation' of both. John was a child when he did Howl, and the writing in The Anthology
"By hook or by crook" was in his young hand.
[img]graemlins/rainbow3.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rainbow3.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rainbow3.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ Oct 29, 2003, 09:02 AM: Message Edited By: Johnna Lynn ][/size]

TeoTorriate Nov 30, 2003 04:50 AM

That was the coolest way to end the book. [img]graemlins/wink3.gif[/img]

Beatnixo1 Mar 18, 2018 04:39 PM

Supposedly John wrote this in an autograph album belonging to his cousin Stanley Parkes , in 1948 aged eight

B3atl3z Nov 28, 2018 05:48 PM

Will check that out