BeatleLinks Fab Forum

BeatleLinks Fab Forum (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/index.php)
-   Menlove Avenue (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   John in 1980 (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43331)

Lucy May 03, 2011 12:22 PM

Maybe it was just part of his natural aging process. Some people get chunkier as they age....some slimmer. I think his face looking narrower was down to age.

In some pics he looks amazing, in others he looks maybe a little bit frail....but not every pic can be perfect!

Apple Scruff May 03, 2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucy (Post 1060680)
Maybe it was just part of his natural aging process. Some people get chunkier as they age....some slimmer. I think his face looking narrower was down to age.

In some pics he looks amazing, in others he looks maybe a little bit frail....but not every pic can be perfect!

I don't know about that. I personally believe he was naturally a slender guy, but John in 1980 didn't look "naturally" thin. He had bones sticking out in a lot of pics for goodness sakes. He was just really limiting what he ate and was obsessed with his weight. John was kind of vain. I remember reading that, when he was a Beatle, he went off on some photographer because the guy took a pic of him while water-skiing and his bangs were blown back, revealing his forehead- which he was apparently insecure about (at the time). lol!

I always thought it was stupid that the Beatles had those nicknames because they generalized them and perhaps someone like John felt because he wasn't called the "cute" Beatle he was somehow not as attractive as Paul and instead had to showcase his rapier wit and "coolness," whereas John in my opinion was just as handsome- if not more- than Paul and Paul was also very smart. George wasn't always quiet and...oh, I forget Ringo's nickname but you all get what I mean.

4iiiis May 06, 2011 07:59 PM

Do you think John looks particularly skinny in any of these px? Personally, I think he looks pretty good in the black turtleneck, but I'm sure he's bony underneath that sweater. His hands are somewhat revealing how skinny he was at the time.

<p>

Apple Scruff May 06, 2011 08:28 PM

He definitely looks very skinny in the first two pictures. Normal thin in the latter two.

Has anyone ever noticed that he went through, like, 20 different hairstyles in the second part of 1980 alone?

4iiiis May 06, 2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple Scruff (Post 1061115)
He definitely looks very skinny in the first two pictures. Normal thin in the latter two.

Has anyone ever noticed that he went through, like, 20 different hairstyles in the second part of 1980 alone?

Actually, I've been very confused by that! I've seen quite a few px from the late 70's, 1980 and he looks different from month to month almost, and I found it hard to believe they were all taken in a short period of time. So...20 different hairstyles would go a lonnnnng way to explaining that! Thanks ;-)

Apple Scruff May 06, 2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4iiiis (Post 1061119)
Actually, I've been very confused by that! I've seen quite a few px from the late 70's, 1980 and he looks different from month to month almost, and I found it hard to believe they were all taken in a short period of time. So...20 different hairstyles would go a lonnnnng way to explaining that! Thanks ;-)

I was exaggerating the "20" comment, lol! But he changed his hair a lot. Like, he had the ponytail and beard, then he had the long hair/clean-shaven look. Then he did a regular haircut and had it brushed back, then he had some hair to the front. After this he had his 40-year-old version of the Beatle haircut (cover of Double Fantasy), then he had another shorter haircut, and finally that Teddy Boy haircut he was wearing in his very last photos.

I mean, that wasn't even in 6 months. It was like a span of 4 months and he had all those hairstyles. lol! I should post pictures but I don't want to get off topic.

I would really love to find this article where John was referred to, in 1965, as the "fat Beatle." The jerk who wrote that. :angry11:

Great pics 4iiiis!!!

Snoopy66 May 07, 2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple Scruff (Post 1061120)
I was exaggerating the "20" comment, lol! But he changed his hair a lot. Like, he had the ponytail and beard, then he had the long hair/clean-shaven look. Then he did a regular haircut and had it brushed back, then he had some hair to the front. After this he had his 40-year-old version of the Beatle haircut (cover of Double Fantasy), then he had another shorter haircut, and finally that Teddy Boy haircut he was wearing in his very last photos.

I mean, that wasn't even in 6 months. It was like a span of 4 months and he had all those hairstyles. lol! I should post pictures but I don't want to get off topic.

Great pics 4iiiis!!!

Yeah, it's awesome how often John changed his look during 1980, but I think that's also what makes his personality so interesting and fascinating; it's never boring watching those pictures :cool1: It's probably the period of his life when he changed his look as quickly as a chameleon :teeth1:

Snoopy

Apple Scruff May 07, 2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoopy66 (Post 1061177)
Yeah, it's awesome how often John changed his look during 1980, but I think that's also what makes his personality so interesting and fascinating; it's never boring watching those pictures :cool1: It's probably the period of his life when he changed his look as quickly as a chameleon :teeth1:

Snoopy

Definitely. Whenever I find a new John pic I realize just how vibrant and alluring he must have been in person. Because one can just stare and see all the facets of what mood he was in or at what period of his life the photo was taken...there's so much to observe in just a photo.

Snoopy66 May 08, 2011 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple Scruff (Post 1061217)
Definitely. Whenever I find a new John pic I realize just how vibrant and alluring he must have been in person. Because one can just stare and see all the facets of what mood he was in or at what period of his life the photo was taken...there's so much to observe in just a photo.

Yeah, I often read from people who met John that he was very charismatic and made people feel at ease. His face was always expressive, no matter which pose he had :cool1:

I think that most of today's artists look quite sophisticated and even artificial compared to John.

Snoopy

Badgirl66 May 08, 2011 02:19 PM

i am 42

Apple Scruff May 08, 2011 03:42 PM

Alrighty then. I'm confused. Um...you look good for your age?

4iiiis May 08, 2011 07:12 PM

Ok, here are some on topic pictures of John to compare:

Apple Scruff May 08, 2011 07:15 PM

^ Okay, #3 and #6 are extraordinarily disturbing- even as far as skinny John in his last years is concerned. I can't even...:bigeyes3:

Apple Scruff May 08, 2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4iiiis (Post 1061312)
Ok, here are some on topic pictures of John to compare:

]

This picture is so cute. What's up with the preppy hair style, John? It's extremely formal looking, and Yoko's even rocking a blazer. I like.

Quote:

I love this picture because it's from that footage of them walking through Central Park where he's got on that puffy silver coat. That's like the COOLEST coat. On the "LennonNYC" documentary Jack Douglas explained that John was ecstatic when he got that coat because he walked in, handed them his American Express, walked out. It was very "normal" for him.

Quote:

He looks SO FANTASTIC here. I love the outfit. His clothes in 1980 (at least all the pics i've seen) were rocking. He always looked so pulled together in these in/out Dakota pics.

Quote:

Beautiful pic! He looks so happy...:cry2:

Snoopy66 May 09, 2011 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple Scruff (Post 1061313)
^ Okay, #3 and #6 are extraordinarily disturbing- even as far as skinny John in his last years is concerned. I can't even...:bigeyes3:

Yes, I agree :afraid2:; I hardly can recognize John on picture no. 6. :bigeyes3:, it depends also very much on the hair-style... but the other pictures are fine :cool1:

Snoopy

Apple Scruff May 09, 2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoopy66 (Post 1061323)
Yes, I agree :afraid2:; I hardly can recognize John on picture no. 6. :bigeyes3:, it depends also very much on the hair-style... but the other pictures are fine :cool1:

Snoopy

Yes, he looks positively skeletal at #6 (but Sean looks darling). I read he used to fast and perhaps that pic was taken during one of those fasts because...well, look at him!

Snoopy66 May 10, 2011 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple Scruff (Post 1061326)
Yes, he looks positively skeletal at #6 (but Sean looks darling). I read he used to fast and perhaps that pic was taken during one of those fasts because...well, look at him!

Yeah, I read it too that John apparantly used to fast...:rolleyes:

Hmmm... "positively" skeletal :afraid2: I really find him faaaar too thin on picture no. 6 and it doesn't suit him at all. Thank's god there exist many other, much better pictures of John in 1980 :cool1:. And it's true that Sean looks lovely.

Snoopy

Apple Scruff May 11, 2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoopy66 (Post 1061496)
Yeah, I read it too that John apparantly used to fast...:rolleyes:

Hmmm... "positively" skeletal :afraid2: I really find him faaaar too thin on picture no. 6 and it doesn't suit him at all. Thank's god there exist many other, much better pictures of John in 1980 :cool1:. And it's true that Sean looks lovely.

Snoopy

I just showed that picture to someone and they can't believe it was him. :afraid4:

Well, people have body hang-ups. But does anyone honestly think he was fat at any point around that 1965 period to be labeled as such? He was a solid guy compared to how skinny he was a couple years prior, but fat? And I have heard people say, "well compared to the other Beatles..." and I'm sorry but no. Paul was not that much thinner than John when John was at his heaviest. I just don't see a fat guy in any of the pics/films/interview clips. He looks completely healthy and normal-sized. The media is so jacked up.

4iiiis May 11, 2011 09:06 PM

And the flipside: John looking INCREDIBLE in 1980

:clown1:

Apple Scruff May 11, 2011 09:17 PM

^ Those pictures are STUNNING. I think all, but especially the last two are classic John images. That photo with Sean just touches my heart.

He was truly a handsome guy. The up-close is proof enough. In a society that indulges in the superficial joys of plastic surgery, botox, laser skin treatments, fillers, and extra white/fake teeth parts it's refreshing to see a guy look completely natural. Like a 40 year old would look, only he wasn't your typical run-of-the-mill 40-year-old, eh?