BeatleLinks Fab Forum

BeatleLinks Fab Forum (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/index.php)
-   Not Only A Northern Song (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   The Best Rappers (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25713)

thepandoras Feb 07, 2006 03:44 PM

The Best Rappers

I think most rap/hiphop is completely stupid. But there are a few that stick out...
Like NWA, Eminem, Run DMC
Who are Beatles fans favorite rappers?

ringo_rama Feb 07, 2006 04:01 PM

OutKast--they're Beatles fans too.
NWA and Public Enemy are good because they're at least original, but rap can never be like that again. I like a few Eminem singles and I love "Mama Said Knock You Out" and "It's All About the Benjamins" (plus the "Kashmir"-sampling "Come with Me").

The best rap song of all time is "Lazy Sunday" by Chris Parnell and Andy Samberg.

Pepperland Kamer Feb 07, 2006 04:17 PM

Public Enemy definitly. And the Beastie Boys... De la Soul, Slick Rick, Eric B. and Rakim, Run D.M.C., N.W.A, and A Tribe Called Quest, Wu Tang Clan are the best of the old school (which is still the best rap period) As for now, Outkast, Jay Z and Eminem are interesting. And B.I.G and Tupac are good too.

Pepperland Kamer Feb 07, 2006 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ringo_rama
NWA and Public Enemy are good because they're at least original, but rap can never be like that again.

Your right, just like punk, all the best stuff came in the first few years and then the original spirit just sort of slowly died as the whole movement became homogenized and exploited... but there are still a few good singles every now and then.

thepandoras Feb 07, 2006 04:44 PM

Very well put.
How could I forget the Beastie Boys!?

Blackguard Feb 07, 2006 05:25 PM

The best rappers? :laugh7: I've never heard a good one.
Truth is you can't spell crap without r - a - p.

Rellevart Feb 07, 2006 05:29 PM

The rap that I don't mind is that which has a positive attitude or at least an interesting point of view and has some sort of melodic thing going on behind it. I'm just too much of a melody freak to get into the rap that doesn't have any real music behind it. And all the misanthropic or women/authority hating stuff does nothing for me. I think more people my age would consider it a legitimate art form if more of it dealt with things that we could relate to.

See_How_They_Run Feb 07, 2006 05:42 PM

lol....Best Rappers? thats an oxymoron....all it talks about is sex sex sex...jeez...THERES OTHER TOPICS OUT THERE!!!! Put catchy lyrics over cool beats, not rolling joints and "goin under the covers" to put it politely....lol....thats why rock music is going away...Did you know? THERE is only 1 ROCK STATION IN ALL OF NEW YORK????? OMG!!!!...I can't WAIT to see the rap backlash....imagine that one!

thepandoras Feb 07, 2006 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by See_How_They_Run
lol....Best Rappers? thats an oxymoron....all it talks about is sex sex sex...jeez...THERES OTHER TOPICS OUT THERE!!!! Put catchy lyrics over cool beats, not rolling joints and "goin under the covers" to put it politely....lol....thats why rock music is going away...Did you know? THERE is only 1 ROCK STATION IN ALL OF NEW YORK????? OMG!!!!...I can't WAIT to see the rap backlash....imagine that one!

That's definatly true with today's 'rappers', but listen to the Beastie Boys or Eminem.

feelfab Feb 07, 2006 06:04 PM

Public Enemy--in your face, dangerous, controversial--sounds like rock & roll to me

thepandoras Feb 07, 2006 06:20 PM

FLAAAVVVAAAAAAAA FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVVVVVVVVVVV
YEAH BOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Roxy Starkey Feb 07, 2006 09:23 PM

I like Eminem.
He's an intelligent guy with a lot of interesting things to say. He's very talented on what he does, and i respect him.

joenamherst Feb 08, 2006 06:20 AM

YO! Without a doubt the all time number one C-rapper is.....drum roll please......Vanilla Ice! Word Up To Your Motha!.......

vincenthanna Feb 08, 2006 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxy Starkey
I like Eminem.
He's an intelligent guy with a lot of interesting things to say. He's very talented on what he does, and i respect him.

I agree 100% with Roxy Starkey

:wave1:

AMBOISVERT Feb 08, 2006 08:59 AM

Since no one has mentioned them so far, I'd like to say that I love the Fugees. They are witty, smart, musical (they sing AND rap, and do both well), and I think their hearts are in the right place. I also have a soft spot for Public Enemy (great shot of Flav earlier!).

To the naysayers out there, all I can say is this: good music knows no genres. There is plenty of bad hip-hop out there, just as there is (and always has been) plenty of bad pop and rock. And no one says you have to like any of it, even if it IS good. But let's not dump on people for liking something different. If you can't stand hip hop, why read this thread?

Tony

HMVNipper Feb 08, 2006 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rellevart
The rap that I don't mind is that which has a positive attitude or at least an interesting point of view and has some sort of melodic thing going on behind it. I'm just too much of a melody freak to get into the rap that doesn't have any real music behind it. And all the misanthropic or women/authority hating stuff does nothing for me. I think more people my age would consider it a legitimate art form if more of it dealt with things that we could relate to.

I totally agree, you said it all for me.

Nope, don't like rap at all...in fact, I am inclined to say that "rap" and "music" are two mutually exclusive things.

Blackguard Feb 08, 2006 02:00 PM

This is a prime example of why I don't prefer rap. It's always based on someone else's music. The songs have been sampled and edited into another form with a new lyric added. I wish one rapper would do an original composition.

feelfab Feb 08, 2006 07:50 PM

A lot of the criticisms of rap are very similar to those levelled at Elvis, and all the other early R&R performers---'it's not music'-etc. These same things were said about the early be-bop Jazz guys, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, and so forth. It reminds me of a scene-I think it's in 'Don't Look Back'- where the interviewer says to Dylan something like 'I don't get your songs.' and Dylan replies, 'Then they're not for you."
All of which doesn't invalidate any of the opinions; I believe it just shows that each generation makes its own noise and the older generations like it or don't. And as much as I like it when my kids or any other kid appreciates the music I have loved for many years; there is a comfort in knowing that artists keep pushing and exploring, sometimes good, sometimes not, but not playing safe. And after all, isn't that one of the best, if not the best, things about the Boys?

AMBOISVERT Feb 09, 2006 08:09 AM

I couldn't agree more. There is a story in my family that, to her dying day, my great-grandmother maintained that the compositions of Jean Sibelius simply WEREN'T music. Nowadays this seems like a preposterous assertion. But certainly lots of people turned up their noses at the Beatles and called it "noise" and "derivative" when it was all new. Now that seems absurd too.

I am sure that an "I can't stand Rap" thread would be get a lot of posts from Beatles fans. But we aren't obliged to feel that way. Isn't that great!

(Just trying to keep it positive.)

Tony

HMVNipper Feb 09, 2006 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feelfab
A lot of the criticisms of rap are very similar to those levelled at Elvis, and all the other early R&R performers---'it's not music'-etc. These same things were said about the early be-bop Jazz guys, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, and so forth. It reminds me of a scene-I think it's in 'Don't Look Back'- where the interviewer says to Dylan something like 'I don't get your songs.' and Dylan replies, 'Then they're not for you."
All of which doesn't invalidate any of the opinions; I believe it just shows that each generation makes its own noise and the older generations like it or don't. And as much as I like it when my kids or any other kid appreciates the music I have loved for many years; there is a comfort in knowing that artists keep pushing and exploring, sometimes good, sometimes not, but not playing safe. And after all, isn't that one of the best, if not the best, things about the Boys?

I agree, just because rap is not for me does not mean that I think it shouldn't be around or that other people shouldn't like it. There's always going to be a unique musical expression for each generation that an earlier generation doesn't "get," but that surely does not make the newer expressions invalid!