BeatleLinks Fab Forum

BeatleLinks Fab Forum (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/index.php)
-   Bootleg Network (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Living In The Alternate World - Review (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3951)

FPSHOT Jul 06, 2003 01:22 AM

Living In The Alternate World - Review

Here is a review of the bootleg of Living In The Material World

Give Me Love

This recording has less instruments, the slide is missing, whereas the bass is mixed more upfront. It is also much better to hear the piano playing which is rather fast, close to honkytonk, and an additional keyboard.

As for the vocals, it has a single vocal in stead of George’s doubled voice.

One can hear the acoustic guitars much better here

Sue Me Sue You Blues

This is an instrumental version and also much of the leading dobro is still missing. It is not the solo dobro demo which can be found on other bootlegs.

It does have the piano, drums, bass, percussion

The ending at 4.54 is also different than on the original album.

The Light That Has Lighted The World

Close to the original, but not yet the original vocal track.

Are there flutes? Keyboard is like Fool On The Hill

Some of the piano chords are different even a very false chord at ‘so hatefull of anyone’ after about 58 seconds. Also at 1.32 the piano solo is not well played. Also somewhere near 2.38 George seems to be very tired of singing as his singing also has some false notes.

At the end, 3.26 George does a falsetto ohohoh which is not on the album.

The guitar solo is missing

Don’t Let me wait too long

Also an instrumental version, very close to the original album version, however it misses the leading piano chord picking.

What is so fantastic about this one is that you can very well hear the chords, which Jeff Lynne and many others describe as those silly Harrison chords.

Who Can See It

Close to the album version however with much different vocals than the album version. Just a try out I think, George is not really fully singing and also uses some other words. And the ‘who can see it’ verse is shorter than on the album.

Yet, on all those instrumentals, the great thing about it that you can far better hear the actual quality of the recording and the musical arrangements.

Living in the material world

The instrumental version too.

It is clear here how the electric guitar of George is as like in Art Of Dying instrumentals, has the leading riff.

A great thing on this one is to hear the development of the middle part where on the album we have ‘from the spiritual sky, such sweet memories have I’. In this version it really falls down. The keyboard plays a real slow part which can hardly be heard on the album.

Also the sound of the two drum players used here is good to hear.

The Lord loves the one that loves the Lord

Close to original but also here with different vocals and also a different mix.

Interesting to hear the keyboard – Nicky Hopkins or Gary Wright – doing the lead.

Less guitars in this version and also the solo’s are not on.

The badge is very nice hear, it is so good to hear the change in tempo from the drums and percussion.

Be Here Now

Absolutely great.

The sound of what I think is the harmonium, just playing the Indian way of one tone, like on some other Indian songs of George, is so clear and combined with the acoustic guitar melody line and soft piano is very very spiritual. The tabla is used but is not really attending in all of the song.

Different vocals than the original.

This is a great track, a must for Harrifans.

The day the world gets round

Another instrumental however not with all the line up as on the album.

It is mainly various 12 string and normal acoustic guitars, piano, bas, keyboard and less drums than on the album song. One acoustic guitar is leading the melody and a sort of harp sound is also much clearer.

That is all

This has become my favourite of the original album for a while.

Mainly instrumental, but you can hear George sing very mixed to the back.

So nice to hear the beautiful melody played on the keyboards which have a harpsichord sound like in the sixtees.

Miss O’Dell

The song which should be added to the re-release

It is the non-laughing version.

Try Some Buy Some

A rough version of the song which was meant for Ronnie Spector.

Could be my DVD player but the sound looks pretty much mono, which is not bad.

Very close to the original, I do not hear that much differences, although the choir is very more upfront and will please Jeff in the remixing because it is very ELO

joelcrowservo Jul 06, 2003 02:07 AM

Re: Living In The Alternate World - Review

Great review! I was not aware several of these tracks existed. This has always been one of my favorite George LPs, and I'm a sucker for alternate versions/mixes. So, another for my 'to buy' list!

Legs Jul 06, 2003 01:35 PM

It's a very good bootleg tho I must confess that I haven't analysed these versions as FPSHOT has.

The version I have contains several bonus songs, mainly taken from the Orange-Yellow dog cd Shanghai Surprise. Shanghai Surprise in the material world
But this is what I believe the original release.

FPSHOT Jul 07, 2003 03:09 AM

Legs, I know the one you refer to, that was released some years after the one I have discussed.

Those additional ones are great too, and I will discuss them later.

I will do more Harrison Bootlegs reviews in the next few weeks.

onosideboards Jul 07, 2003 10:31 AM

whoa FPSHOT, i barely recognized you with your new avatar [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

that WAS really great review. i have the offcial album on vinyl but i don't know if i've ever listened to it. [img]graemlins/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] i'll make more of an effort and then see if i can get my hands on this boot.

i must admit that i recently got "12 arnold grove" and i'm not very pleased with it. i just dont' like the songs. i'd love to hear a george guru review it though, to help me see what i'm missing... (hint hint)

joel: why buy boots when you can trade for them? unless you're a stickler for silver back discs...

Legs Jul 07, 2003 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted By onosideboards:
i must admit that i recently got "12 arnold grove" and i'm not very pleased with it. i just dont' like the songs. i'd love to hear a george guru review it though, to help me see what i'm missing... (hint hint)

joel: why buy boots when you can trade for them? unless you're a stickler for silver back discs...

<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I have the 12 Arnold grove bootleg, and uneless FPSHOT was planning on a review I will work on it,well will work on it anyway.

As for trading I am a stickler for silver discs, I prefer to have the original bootlegs as much as posible. I do trade sometimes it's great in case you can't find the original bootlegs, but I love the hunt and wander through beatle/ record fairs.The pegboy release of 12 Arnold Grove was expensive tho, with the box and booklet, a trade is much cheaper.

[size="1"][ Jul 07, 2003, 11:49 AM: Message Edited By: Legs ][/size]

joelcrowservo Jul 07, 2003 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted By onosideboards:
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Well, you know, Im being coy... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Actually, theres no place around here that sells boots any more. There used to be one in Tulsa that I'd buy Sex Pistols LPs from, but they went all legit on me! You know, Im still so new to this that the meaning of silver discs eludes me. Just gimmie the music and I'm satisfied, but maybe thats just me!

Legs Jul 07, 2003 10:57 AM

I hate it when a shop goes legal on you.
A silver disc is an factory pressed disc, normal cd-s. Then there is a cd-r or a gold dics which you use to make copy's burn your mp'3s on, and thus what you will get with trades.

[size="1"][ Jul 07, 2003, 11:58 AM: Message Edited By: Legs ][/size]

FPSHOT Jul 07, 2003 12:32 PM

I haven't got '12 Arnold Grove' as such, although I do have everything which is on it, but separated over various other Booties, so I am not planning a review for the moment.

Joelcrowservo, lead the way on that one then please. I have planned some others.

Booklets is what gets me to buying bootlegs when I already have the songs, booklets are great.

onosideboards Jul 07, 2003 04:45 PM

yeah, the art and packaging are almost always great with boots. especially something like "brand alexanders & the wall of sound" but, they're hard to find and super expensive. my thriftiness endures... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]