BeatleLinks Fab Forum

BeatleLinks Fab Forum (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/index.php)
-   Red Rose Speedway (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Come on Paul, that was "Yesterday"... (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10053)

ABCKO May 29, 2001 12:28 AM

Come on Paul, that was \"Yesterday\"...

Read the news about Paul trying to get the writting credits on "Yeaterday" changed from "Lennon-McCartney" to "McCartney" because he wrote it all by himself + no other Beatle played on it and also because, for a period of time, Yoko got more royalties out of this song than Paul did.

I sort of see his point but...

Did it take Paul 36 years to realise this ?

And how about Lennon-McCartney songs like "Julia", "Revolution 9", "Give peace a chance" and probably a few more that Paul did'nt play on but got 50% of the royalties anyway...

I know "Yesterday" can't be compared to some of these songs as far as how much (royalties) money they brought in and so forth but if the Beatles & Yoko were to start nit-picking who wrote how much of what, we'd never hear the end of it...

Come on Paul, relax a little O.K. ?

It's not like he's about to go broke...

------------------
Be seeing you...

[This Message Has Been Edited By ABCKO On May 29, 2001 12:35 AM]

SleepyHead May 29, 2001 01:37 AM

Re: Come on Paul, that was \"Yesterday\"...

You're right, we'd never hear the end of it. Even when questioned about their individual input into different songs, John and Paul both disagreed about what, how much, and where their own "bits" appeared... and they further contradicted their own previous answers!

I can just hear it now:

"The latest word is..."

"But surely you were closer to the actual event way back when you..."

"No, this is the LAST word..."

"But he said..."

"And I'm saying now..."

"But we can't ask him again..."

"Aww, they're both full of it, Ringo and me did it all by our selves!"

"No, it was Mal and Stu!"

"Certainly wasn't..."

"The latest word is..."

------------------

In Memory Of Robby
Our Lady's Psalter
Bearkat77's Beatlemaniac Page
Bearkat77's Tribute to John Lennon

May 29, 2001 02:38 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By SleepyHead:
John and Paul both disagreed about what, how much, and where their own "bits" appeared...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, we sure know where John's "bits" appeared.

May 29, 2001 02:39 AM

Before anyone issues a lawsuit... yes, that was a joke.

SleepyHead May 29, 2001 03:01 AM

No lawsuits here... and I don't think John was a bit shy about showing us exactly where his "bits" were (page 300, right?)

------------------

In Memory Of Robby
Our Lady's Psalter
Bearkat77's Tribute to John Lennon

May 29, 2001 03:10 AM

You got it.

Pie Man May 29, 2001 04:38 AM

------------------

"...I'm The Man On The Flaming Pie..."

Click here to buy Paul's new album, Wingspan for only £14.99!!!

**DONOTDELETE** May 29, 2001 02:37 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By ABCKO:

Read the news about Paul trying to get the writting credits on "Yeaterday" changed from "Lennon-McCartney" to "McCartney" because he wrote it all by himself + no other Beatle played on it and also because, for a period of time, Yoko got more royalties out of this song than Paul did.

I sort of see his point but...

Did it take Paul 36 years to realise this ?

And how about Lennon-McCartney songs like "Julia", "Revolution 9", "Give peace a chance" and probably a few more that Paul did'nt play on but got 50% of the royalties anyway...

I know "Yesterday" can't be compared to some of these songs as far as how much (royalties) money they brought in and so forth but if the Beatles & Yoko were to start nit-picking who wrote how much of what, we'd never hear the end of it...

Come on Paul, relax a little O.K. ?

It's not like he's about to go broke...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just one of the many reasons that Paul is my least favorite Beatle.

------------------
4 weeks, 5 days

Rellevart May 29, 2001 02:52 PM

This topic has gotten a lot of response on another forum I read from time to time. First off, it's NOT about money. Secondly, I think that Paul is your typical insecure musician (much as I love him) and is worried about being forgotten years down the road.

A silly worry, you say? Perhaps. But when "1" came out, several Internet sources credited all the songs to merely "Lennon" for brevity's sake.

I do think it's a little petty for him to want to change the rules after all this time, but it's such a tiny little thing, and after all he's done to make people happy, I say just give it to him!!

------------------
Hey, don't you know that I'm....always going back in time....

Legs May 29, 2001 02:53 PM

I can't see why Paul wants to change the credit to the song "Yesterday", it was an agreement John and Paul made that every song they wrote together or alone was going to be released under the name of "Lennon & McCartney" and yes what about songs like "Give peace a chance"?

And Btw SleepyHead and Nowhere man thanks for bringing page 300 up!

darkhorse May 29, 2001 04:01 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Rellevart:
I do think it's a little petty for him to want to change the rules after all this time, but it's such a tiny little thing, and after all he's done to make people happy, I say just give it to him!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> That's my opinion. Yoko already did change the credits on "Give Peace A Chance" to "Lennon"... As it wasn't a song where Paul had anything to do with. So I think it's only right.
And page 300?

------------------
"You either kiss the future or the past goodbye
We could fly so high..."

**DONOTDELETE** May 29, 2001 04:35 PM

Darky, don't look at page 300 in the anthology book, you'll be scarred for life.

------------------
4 weeks, 4 days

mindgames May 29, 2001 05:27 PM

Yeah, Horsey, it's muy horriblente!

Good Spanish, huh?

------------------
This week, the Beatles greatest hits album, "1", is at number thirty-six on the USA album charts. "Wingspan: Hits and History" by Paul McCartney is at number nine.

bearkat77 May 29, 2001 11:20 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Rellevart:
Secondly, I think that Paul is your typical insecure musician (much as I love him) and is worried about being forgotten years down the road.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One thing is sure and certain, Paul McCartney will not be forgotten years down the long and winding road.

------------------

Rellevart May 30, 2001 07:38 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By bearkat77:
One thing is sure and certain, Paul McCartney will not be forgotten years down the long and winding road.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not by US, at any rate!

------------------
Hey, don't you know that I'm....always going back in time....

darkhorse May 30, 2001 11:55 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By mindgames:
Good Spanish, huh?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Thanks, Mindy and Forty. Me understand now. Me Spanish be better you. Me happy with that.

------------------
We could fly so high..."

**DONOTDELETE** May 30, 2001 02:41 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By mindgames:

Good Spanish, huh?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought it was "very-o horrible-o"??

------------------
4 weeks, 3 days

mindgames May 30, 2001 04:06 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By darkhorse:
Me understand now. Me Spanish be better you. Me happy with that.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How. Me wanna makum pow-wow with great Chilean horse. Great Spirit of Beatlelinks commands it. Ugh.

------------------
This week, the Beatles greatest hits album, "1", is at number thirty-six on the USA album charts. "Wingspan: Hits and History" by Paul McCartney is at number nine.

darkhorse May 31, 2001 10:35 AM

OK, Tarzan, so the thing is don't you ever say anything in Spanish again, ¿entendido?.

------------------
We could fly so high..."

jtal909 May 31, 2001 06:41 PM

Maybe they should change the songwriting credits to McCartney/Lennon, or Lennon/McCartney, whichever it may be and still share equally in the royalties.

------------------
Where Are My Polyester Pants?