BeatleLinks Fab Forum

BeatleLinks Fab Forum (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/index.php)
-   I Read The News Today (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   A bit of research: Celebrities who are Beatle fans (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9187)

shyGirl Nov 30, 2003 04:26 PM

A bit of research: Celebrities who are Beatle fans

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/news/1130fansearch.html

Fellow Beatles fans! There is a big project underway relating to the Beatles – and you can help!
Researchers for a possible TV special are assembling a database listing of major celebrities who are known to be admirers of the Beatles collectively or individually.

They are primarily interested in celebrities based in the United States and Canada, though prominent British and Australian celebrities would be of interest, too.

They are interested in the names of celebrities who have publicly professed a love of the Beatles – or the solo careers of any of the Fab Four. Perhaps the person has talked about the Beatles in an interview or been reported attending a concert given by Paul or Ringo in recent years.

Everyone has a different definition of who is a celebrity. This TV show is going by the “People Magazine” or “Entertainment Tonight” level of celebrity. Anyone who the average reader of People Magazine or viewer of “E.T.” would recognize counts as a celebrity. Obscure musicians who had one hit in the 70’s or 80’s -- or actors who appeared in one season of a failed sitcom – don’t count!

Please submit your lists. We’ll post them here. Maybe seeing some names will spark memories of other celebrities.

It would help immensely if you were to list celebrities in the same broad headings the TV show researchers are using. (Some people obviously fit in more than one category – but don’t worry too much about that.)

The categories are:

MUSICIANS
ACTORS (Movies/TV/Broadway)
COMEDIANS
TV HOSTS/PERSONALITIES
FILM DIRECTORS
WRITERS (Movies/TV/books)
POLITICIANS
SPORTS STARS
MISCELLANEOUS

Thanks in advance for your help.

Maggie Mae Nov 30, 2003 06:57 PM

Re: A bit of research: Celebrities who are Beatle fans

This is too ironic -- I just finished watching a video clip from VH1 in which the four hobbit actors (Billy Boyd, Sean Astin, Elijah Wood and Dominic Monaghan) recreated the Abbey Road cover as a promotional thing for ROTK, and was reminded that Dominic Monaghan, who plays Merry, has always publicly professed a love for the Beatles and lists John Lennon as one of his idols!! Then I read this post and it just fit together so perfectly!!!

Dom is an English actor from Manchester -- not real big yet, but he does do a lot of indie films and is big into environmental charity work. Hope that helps!!

SF4-EVER Nov 30, 2003 07:02 PM

Sounds pretty cool, shyGirl! Maybe we can assemble a list here and then post it to the site. For starters, author J.K. Rowling is a fan.

[size="1"][ Nov 30, 2003, 07:05 PM: Message Edited By: SF4-EVER ][/size]

onosideboards Nov 30, 2003 07:39 PM

Albert Hammond Jr. of the Strokes is a huge Beatles fan, especially Lennon.

MissusLennon Nov 30, 2003 07:41 PM

This is great! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I can think of a few off the top of my head:

-Stephen King
-Matt Groening (sp? The Simpsons guy anyway [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )
-John Ritter

DizzymissLizzy909 Nov 30, 2003 07:44 PM

The only one I can think of at the moment is Mike Meyers...

Magill Nov 30, 2003 11:12 PM

Tom Hanks, Drew Barrymore (though you already knew that, Steph [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ), Bill Clinton and Conan O'Brien who's not only a fan but a crazed [img]graemlins/psycho.gif[/img] collector. lol

beatlewho01-02 Dec 01, 2003 07:43 AM

Meryl Streep admits she had a crush on Paul. Tom Hanks of course. He had a tribute band play at his wedding and he was friends with George.

Cream Tangerine Dec 01, 2003 07:48 AM

There's this American Rock Band called Slaughter, and I met them about 4 or 5 years ago. Their drummer, Blas Elias, is a HARDCORE Beatlenut. (His dog's name is Ringo and he wanted to play the drums because he grew up watching the beatles cartoons, thinking Ringo was the coolest). These guys played an AWSOME cover of Revolution on an MTV unplugged show once. (Not to mention the fact that this Blas fellow is GORGOEUS).

I think I can also think of Gloria Estefan, Mike Myers and Steven Spielberg (didn't he do that movie, I wanna hold your hand??)

beatlebangs1964 Dec 01, 2003 01:00 PM

Hillary Clinton and her best friend since 6th grade, Betsy (forgot her last name - something like "Levan") are AVID Beatle fans.

On Sunday, November 30, 2003 an early news program profiled the two women and set it to "In My Life" and other moving Beatle tunes. Hillary was a Paul girl and her friend a George girl.

Damn, those ladies had good taste in music AND Beatles! (I'm a McCartney-Harrison lady myself, so I could COMPLETELY relate to THAT)! [img]graemlins/smile1.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup2.gif[/img]

ChrisG134 Dec 01, 2003 01:21 PM

Tim Allen
Ozzy Osbourne
Bruce Springsteen(I would guess any musician would be)

Norwegian_Wood Dec 01, 2003 01:21 PM

Some of the people from the RS article talking about John's influence/where they were when they heard the news of his murder:

Don Henley
Shirley Manson
Steven Tyler
Billy Corgan
Sinead O'Connor
Sting
Marianne Faithfull
Michael Douglas
Tom Petty
Sheryl Crow
Noel Gallagher
Lenny Kravitz
Rob Thomas
Johnny Rzeznick
Art Alexakis
Rosanne Cash
David Crosby
Graham Nash
Art Garfunkel
Tommy Hilfiger
John Travolta
Michael Penn
Lucinda Williams
Wyclef Jean
Stephen Jenkins

Some of these people are friends, too. And some may not be famous enough. But it's a start. Also, at least a couple of the members of N'Sync are supposedly fans. And Billy Joel also.

Norwegian_Wood Dec 01, 2003 01:24 PM

oops [img]graemlins/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ Dec 01, 2003, 01:25 PM: Message Edited By: Norwegian_Wood ][/size]

biglou114 Dec 01, 2003 01:30 PM

I remember watching an interview with Rodger McGuinn, saying that him and the other members of the Byrds went to see AHDN together.

Wolf Dec 01, 2003 03:42 PM

I had a list of musicians and some actors plus their comments about the Beatles, but unfortunately my computer catched a virus and my whole database was lost.

[size="1"][ Dec 01, 2003, 03:42 PM: Message Edited By: Wolf ][/size]

LittleDarlin909 Dec 01, 2003 04:59 PM

oprah winfrey is a beatles fan in a much big way! when heather was on her show, she would not look her in the eye; eventually she said, "i have to get this out of the way. . .you know, when i was a little girl, i wanted your boyfriend to be MY boyfriend!"

let's see. . .also jude law (his parents were obviously fans! he also has part of the lyrics of sexy sadie tatooed on his arm), jars of clay, sean penn, melissa etheridge, and on and on [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

LadyAmethyst83 Dec 01, 2003 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted By LittleDarlin909:
oprah winfrey is a beatles fan in a much big way! when heather was on her show, she would not look her in the eye; eventually she said, "i have to get this out of the way. . .you know, when i was a little girl, i wanted your boyfriend to be MY boyfriend!"

let's see. . .also jude law (his parents were obviously fans! he also has part of the lyrics of sexy sadie tatooed on his arm), jars of clay, sean penn, melissa etheridge, and on and on [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I remember that episode on Oprah! I saw it a couple of years ago. It made me realize how many women (my mom's generation and older) really thought Paul was cute! oh to be even alive back then!

jad2k1 Dec 01, 2003 05:43 PM

The members of KISS, one of the guys from RUN DMC, jack nicohlson,tom crusie, and Michael jackson-i remember mj saying during pauls 90 tour that he was still on of the best performers. Mark hammil from star wars, i think hes a collector too, kurt cobain was a fan. jay leno, i believe marilyn manson. hmmm- wouldnt anyone wos performed a cover be considered a fan to some degree,since they liked the beatles music enough to put out there own version? if so thats like a million musicians right there

Magill Dec 01, 2003 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted By LittleDarlin909:

<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Oprah was absolutely giddy when Paul was on her show. He was eating it up. [img]graemlins/laugh5.gif[/img]

onosideboards Dec 02, 2003 12:18 AM

Al Gore