BeatleLinks Fab Forum

BeatleLinks Fab Forum (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/index.php)
-   Abbey Road (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   The best bass line in a Beatles tune is. . . (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26889)

AmericanBeatle May 24, 2006 08:14 AM

The best bass line in a Beatles tune is. . .

. . .the one McCartney wrote for Something. It is intricate and interesting, although I think Harrison wasn't so fond of it.

A good simple bass line is the bass line in Paperback Writer, almost like they were trying to make the bass into a lead guitar.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Which Beatles tune has the best bass line?

BeatlesFan4life May 24, 2006 08:21 AM

I think that Magical Mystery Tour has a good bass line.

AmericanBeatle May 24, 2006 08:30 AM

Oh, yeah!
That was a good one wasn't it?! Good pick!

By the way, does anyone remember what song it was the Elvis picked up a bass and rattled off the bass line during his and The Beatles short but famous visit?

BeatlesFan4life May 24, 2006 08:33 AM

Thanks so much AmericanBeatle for your nice comment. I dont remember the song where Elvis picked up a bass when he was visited by the beatles.

rwbarnes May 24, 2006 08:39 AM

I think that Taxman has a good bass line.

Jerry May 24, 2006 08:45 AM

There are so many to list...And Your Bird Can Sing, With A Little Help From My Friends, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, Something, I Want You, The End, and on and on. But I've always like the bass line in Hey Bulldog, especially near the end of the song.

Harb83 May 24, 2006 09:05 AM

There's one bit in 'She Came In Through the Bathroom Window' I love, and that's during the second verse. Paul plays some funky bass during the "She said she'd always been a dancer. Worked at fifteen clubs a day..."

AmericanBeatle May 24, 2006 09:09 AM

This is great stuff.
I'd forgotten many of the bass lines you mentioned.
I'll have to listen to these songs again with the treble off and the bass waaaaaaaaaay up!
Hey, Bulldog should really be a wall-beater!

Jerry May 24, 2006 09:33 AM

When you listen to Hey Bulldog, pan the sound all the way to one side. Can't remember which side, but you'll be able to hear the bass pure and clear.

AmericanBeatle May 24, 2006 09:37 AM

Thanks for the advice!
I'll work on it.

matt2791 May 24, 2006 09:42 AM

I like the one in LSD, I mean Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds

Cream Tangerine May 24, 2006 09:45 AM

I love the bass line in "Rain". A complete new melodic bass line.

SilverBeatle May 24, 2006 12:20 PM

Pretty much all of Abbey Road is awesome bass-wise, but I agree "Something" was Paul's masterpiece of a bass line.

Ana_Lennon May 24, 2006 03:03 PM

I like the bass in "I want you". It gives that "madness" touch.

AMBOISVERT May 24, 2006 03:47 PM

All good so far, but my personal favorite bass line is the one in "A Day in the Life." The Bass is also the best thing about "Baby Your a Rich Man."

Tony

matt5 May 24, 2006 04:08 PM

I Will :tongue1:

.Psychedelic.Stars. May 24, 2006 06:48 PM

There are so many! I would have to say Something, Magical Mystery Tour, LSD (which I can play muhaha :cool1: ), Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey, Helter Skelter, Oh Darling, Fixing A Hole, One After 909, Golden Slumbers, I Saw Her Standing There.... More? :laugh5:

wednesdaymorning May 24, 2006 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt2791
I like the one in LSD, I mean Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds

Yeah, that one and "Dear Prudence."

ABCKO May 25, 2006 01:07 AM

"Old brown shoe" and "The Night Before" come to mind...

... but my vote would go to "I want you (she's so heavy)" !

IFeelFine May 25, 2006 01:46 AM

The two that spring to mind for me are Paperback Writer and Old Brown Shoe, although I agree all of Abbey Road is fantastic.

Someone mentioned I Will, but is that not Paul singing "dum, dum, dum" rather than playing the base?