BeatleLinks Fab Forum

BeatleLinks Fab Forum (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/index.php)
-   Tell Me Why (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What is going on? (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49269)

Georgie Girl May 20, 2014 02:01 PM

I had another George dream the other night, but forgot what happened in it! :laugh5:

hibgal May 21, 2014 09:32 AM

One thing I have noticed is that after the introduction of the pinned '[Beatle name] News' threads whatever was left of discussions on the forum pretty much died out. One almost have to apologize to start a thread on some news that is already posted as a snipped in one of those 'News' threads. But such catch all threads are simply for quick information and rarely lead to any kind of discussion. I.e. Paul just had to cancel his whole Japanese tour due to illness. No talk whatever about it! However, if a thread had been started about Paul's health issue maybe somebody would've said something. One never know! I can hope, can't I?

ringo_rama May 21, 2014 01:41 PM

I agree; those sorts of topics just turn into a bunch of links. Even new albums/reissues get just a cursory review topic that fades away after about two weeks.

I'm a moderator at another forum, so I absolutely understand that you can't check in all the time and sometimes trying to light up some conversation doesn't work, and I appreciate the efforts and devotion of the crew here. But it is kind of ridonk that half the mods have been MIA for months. The Bootleg Zone mod hasn't checked in in a year...which is at least better than Beatles For Sale, whose moderator has been gone for almost three years.

hibgal May 21, 2014 04:08 PM

That's the thing, isn't it? Okay if mods feel discouraged and don't post as much as before but - not coming to the forum at all? For months! Why then be a mod??? They can't all be sick surely?

beatlebangs1964 May 22, 2014 04:36 AM

Hib makes a good point about headline threads not generating much posting. Feel free to start a topic. That will more likely generate responses than a headline sticky notice with a link.

Lynner May 22, 2014 05:43 AM

Understand your point, hib. Actually wish a lot of members would come back and post again. As far as mods never posting, and still being mods, you'd have to take that up with Jerry. If everything's running smoothly, then there's no real need for the mod to be around, unfortunately.

Any thoughts as to how this can be a busy forum again? I will run it past the other mods, well, at least the ones that check in :teeth1: about unpinning the "News" threads, in an effort to get more discussions going .

Georgie Girl May 22, 2014 09:55 AM

We could get Asha's butt back, for one. :wink2: And Sally and Pinky, etc....

SF4-EVER May 22, 2014 10:22 AM

I'm willing to go back to threads about individual news articles if that will help get more discussion going.

beatlebangs1964 May 22, 2014 02:37 PM

Ditto, SF4-EVER. :smile1:

raul May 23, 2014 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgie Girl (Post 1125038)
I'm going to start a thread that Yoko broke up the Fabs and see what happens. :wink2:

:laugh5:well, go ahead, then!
or i will!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hibgal (Post 1125138)
That's the thing, isn't it? Okay if mods feel discouraged and don't post as much as before but - not coming to the forum at all? For months! Why then be a mod??? They can't all be sick surely?

:laugh5:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynner (Post 1125146)
Understand your point, hib. Actually wish a lot of members would come back and post again. As far as mods never posting, and still being mods, you'd have to take that up with Jerry. If everything's running smoothly, then there's no real need for the mod to be around, unfortunately.

Any thoughts as to how this can be a busy forum again? I will run it past the other mods, well, at least the ones that check in :teeth1: about unpinning the "News" threads, in an effort to get more discussions going .

Like Legs said, facebook is killing us.

Georgie Girl May 23, 2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hibgal (Post 1125097)
Good grief! BB Nooooooo!!! :faint1:

Hib, this made me lol! :laugh5:

beatlebangs1964 May 23, 2014 06:09 PM

:laugh4: :laugh5:

bearkat77 May 24, 2014 06:20 PM

The News links are there for everyone to check out. If you want to discuss one of them, open a new thread and start discussing. There's no rule against doing that.

ringo_rama Jul 06, 2014 10:10 AM

Number of days we're into July: 5
Number of posts on the entire forum outside of news updates, Mind Games, and Monthly Contest in July so far: 4
Percentage of those 4 posts that are by people who registered just to sell something: 75%

ETA: In fairness, the numbers above do not reflect this post. So...that's something I guess.

Lynner Jul 07, 2014 03:13 AM

At least you spent time on the forum to do your research?

ringo_rama Jul 07, 2014 11:09 AM

I am nothing if not thorough.

hibgal Jul 25, 2014 02:42 PM

I'm not saying your basic premise is wrong. Not sure July is the right month to conduct your survey though. Most of us have vacations this time of year, nice outdoor weather and the like. Who wants to sit indoors hammering away on the keyboard then?

ringo_rama Jul 27, 2014 08:44 PM

Well, it was more to point out that there was less than one post per day of actual content (and most of it was just trying to sell something), but the last two weeks or so it seems like activity has picked up. Naturally I will take credit for that.

hibgal Jul 28, 2014 10:59 AM

You'll take responsibility for my posts now, RR? How very brave of you! :devious:

ringo_rama Jul 28, 2014 03:51 PM

Just try not to embarrass me too much. I have a reputation to uphold.