BeatleLinks Fab Forum

BeatleLinks Fab Forum (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/index.php)
-   Menlove Avenue (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Yoko Ono turned 80 and there's no threads? (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48600)

Fly Feb 21, 2013 11:50 AM

Yoko Ono turned 80 and there's no threads?
 
Come on people! This was the love of John's life. And she just turned 80 years old! I can't believe that there were only 4 or so posts about it (and thank you to those who did). Yoko is a trailblazer. How many 80 year old travel all over the world doing almost the same thing they did half their age (and more) ago?

She is officially twice the age John was able to live for, and she is still so beautiful, strong, and inspiring. Her message never grows old, much like her face/body and extremely positive ideas. For Yoko's 80th, I let my kids go to school half day and took them to the art museum for lunch and let explore. I love how creative children are and how free they are with their feelings. My son doesn't 'get' most of the Impressionist stuff because it bores him but my daughter adores it. I love where we live because I can take them to so many incredible museums and share this precious time with them. And it seemed right to do it on Yoko's birthday because she was one of the females I admired growing up who really got me thinking about art.

Even though I didn't go into that field, I have a great admiration for art and different artists. Sure, some of them are crap, but at least there is some effort there.

In any case, I think now is better than never to share that little story and a few of my favorite Yoko pictures. thanks Yoko for always making me think and look at the glass half full rather than half empty.

You are an icon.













I know we have a YOKO LOVE THREAD, but please use this thread to share some of the things- your FAVORITE things- about Mrs. Lennon.

johncharles Feb 21, 2013 03:46 PM

She's quite striking in some pictures.



Young Yoko.

She had a very interesting childhood.

Peregrine9 Feb 21, 2013 05:38 PM

Yoko's 80th birthday
 
There is Fly several articles and video's from Yoko's 80th birthday celebration concert in Berlin in her Yoko news thread.But I will post these here for you and everyone.In honor and celebration of Yoko's 80th birthday.

Singing "Happy birthday" to Yoko by Martha & Rufus Wainwright, Sean Ono Lennon in Berlin, Volksbühne 2/17/2013, for Yoko's 80th birthday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xn43R2DR6E

Yoko's 80th Birthday Concert at Volksbühne Berlin (Feb. 17th, 2013 ‪"Give Peace A Chance‬"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=sjQ6wd5EIGk

‪Yoko's 80th Birthday Concert "There's No Goodbye"‬ at Volksbühne Berlin (Feb. 17th, 2013)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlfz3lUrUkY

‪Peaches & Yoko Ono & Sean Lennon at Yoko's 80th birthday‬

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg5nRu4g-IE

Yoko Ono during her 80 birthday concert in Berlin: " Walking On Thin Ice".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nht-FDYfMWg

"Happy Birthday, Yoko!" by The Flaming Lips.
Recorded for Yoko Ono's 80th Birthday.
Mixed on board the Lennon Bus on February 18, 2013 while at the Academy of Contemporary Music, Oklahoma City, OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NJMe...ature=youtu.be

Mail Online
2/19/2013
Yoko Ono receives birthday greetings from around the world as she marks 80th birthday in Berlin with her son Sean - photographs

Check out these photographs of Yoko with Sean and the band during Yoko's birthday celebration.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...an-Lennon.html

Snoopy66 Feb 21, 2013 11:15 PM

Let's face it once for good
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fly (Post 1117437)
Come on people! This was the love of John's life. And she just turned 80 years old! I can't believe that there were only 4 or so posts about it (and thank you to those who did). Yoko is a trailblazer. How many 80 year old travel all over the world doing almost the same thing they did half their age (and more) ago?

Well, it's time to wake up, dear Fly: Yoko is not popular for most of Beatles and John-fans :rolleyes: The fact that she got twice the age of John, doesn't make things easier for them, believe me !

Snoopy

ChrisG134 Feb 22, 2013 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoopy66 (Post 1117455)
Well, it's time to wake up, dear Fly: Yoko is not popular for most of Beatles and John-fans :rolleyes: The fact that she got twice the age of John, doesn't make things easier for them, believe me !

Snoopy

Tell me about it!Yoko gets more than enough attention,a heck of alot more than any other Beatle wife!Do they celebrate Olivia, Barbara & Linda's b-day?I don't want to hear that Yoko was more important than the rest.Tell that to George,Ringo & Paul!Yoko get's alot of love (and hate) on here,especially since John is gone,she's the closes person we have to John!

Apple Scruff Feb 22, 2013 04:52 AM

Thank you for this thread Fly! And I loved reading what you did with your kids that day. I'll post something soon. At work & typing from phone, but I shall return!

Snoopy66 Feb 22, 2013 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisG134 (Post 1117462)
Tell me about it!Yoko gets more than enough attention,a heck of alot more than any other Beatle wife!Do they celebrate Olivia, Barbara & Linda's b-day?I don't want to hear that Yoko was more important than the rest.Tell that to George,Ringo & Paul!Yoko get's alot of love (and hate) on here,especially since John is gone,she's the closes person we have to John!

Well, there's not much more to tell; you said it yourself, didn't you ? It's true that Yoko gets more than enough attention, actually far more than she deserves. Olivia seems to be a much more nicer and modest Beatles-widow to me. No, Yoko isn't more important than the rest, even though she gives the impression to be.

Why do you claim that Yoko is the closest person we have to John ? What about Sean ??

Snoopy

ChrisG134 Feb 22, 2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoopy66 (Post 1117464)
Well, there's not much more to tell; you said it yourself, didn't you ? It's true that Yoko gets more than enough attention, actually far more than she deserves. Olivia seems to be a much more nicer and modest Beatles-widow to me. No, Yoko isn't more important than the rest, even though she gives the impression to be.

Why do you claim that Yoko is the closest person we have to John ? What about Sean ??

Snoopy

Cause she spent the most time with him before he died.Even more than Sean.I'm sure he has some memories of John.He was only 5 after all.Either he has a damn good memory or people just relayed memories to him.I think I can remember 3 things from when I was 5,and I came from a family of 9!I should have memories coming out my butt!But I don't.

Fly Feb 22, 2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoopy66 (Post 1117455)
Well, it's time to wake up, dear Fly: Yoko is not popular for most of Beatles and John-fans :rolleyes: The fact that she got twice the age of John, doesn't make things easier for them, believe me !

Snoopy

You know, freedom of speech and all but I didn't make this thread for you to promote your jealous-filled rants about why Yoko doesn't matter and why you don't like her. I made this to celebrate someone who has done a tremendous amount of positive for the WORLD and for John's life. Whether you guys like it or not, Yoko was in John's life. You can go on and on about not finding her important, not caring about her bring twice John's age, not thinking she deserves a thread compared to other wives.

THIS is John's board and she was John's wife. Most of the albums post-Beatles had some Yoko-influence on them, and she matters now because she has done a lot more than just be a widow. She is an international spokesman for peace and for good in this world. Instead of writing books about her past that spread negative messages about someone who isn't here to defend himself (and you can argue the validity of those messages with me I don't care- bring it), Yoko instead focuses on all the GREAT and TIMELESS things John did.

I personally think you, Snoopy, are jealous of the love John had for Yoko. It's obvious to me because the way you talk about her you'd think it was HER that killed John.

Anyways, have a wonderful love-filled day. Maybe we can go back to the theme of my thread: posting things you LIKE about Yoko, and not about her getting too much attention. Why would we have Olivia and Linda threads on the John board? Come on. Make sense people.

ChrisG134 Feb 22, 2013 12:54 PM

Fly,I just made a comment cause you got totally pissed cause nobody started a thread on Yoko's b-day!I could take her or leave her.I personally didn't even know that it was her b-day.I only know the ex- Beatles b-day's.I'm sure a lot of us didn't know it was her b-day.I'm lucky I can't even remember all my nieces & nephew's b-day's!You posted on hear being made as hell cause nobody made a post for Yoko!Your jump to conclusions that nobody likes her,so they didn't start a post!First of all lately not many people have been on here lately.Did you think that maybe some of us have been busy and didn't have time,or just forgot or didn't know?Cut some of us some slack!You started one so move on!

Snoopy66 Feb 22, 2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisG134 (Post 1117473)
Cause she spent the most time with him before he died.Even more than Sean.I'm sure he has some memories of John.He was only 5 after all.Either he has a damn good memory or people just relayed memories to him.I think I can remember 3 things from when I was 5,and I came from a family of 9!I should have memories coming out my butt!But I don't.

Hmm... it's true that John and Yoko spent a lot of time together in the early years, but then... remember the lost weekend ? And I bet that the last years of his life, John actually spent more time with Sean, than with Yoko. She was just too busy with her work, then with her drug-problems, then with her numerologist and other curious people etc.

Don't forget that Sean was brought up by his dad right from the beginning, so it's understandable, that he has some memories about those years, even if he was very young then.

Snoopy

Snoopy66 Feb 22, 2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fly (Post 1117476)
You know, freedom of speech and all but I didn't make this thread for you to promote your jealous-filled rants about why Yoko doesn't matter and why you don't like her. I made this to celebrate someone who has done a tremendous amount of positive for the WORLD and for John's life. Whether you guys like it or not, Yoko was in John's life. You can go on and on about not finding her important, not caring about her bring twice John's age, not thinking she deserves a thread compared to other wives.

THIS is John's board and she was John's wife. Most of the albums post-Beatles had some Yoko-influence on them, and she matters now because she has done a lot more than just be a widow. She is an international spokesman for peace and for good in this world. Instead of writing books about her past that spread negative messages about someone who isn't here to defend himself (and you can argue the validity of those messages with me I don't care- bring it), Yoko instead focuses on all the GREAT and TIMELESS things John did.

I personally think you, Snoopy, are jealous of the love John had for Yoko. It's obvious to me because the way you talk about her you'd think it was HER that killed John.

Anyways, have a wonderful love-filled day. Maybe we can go back to the theme of my thread: posting things you LIKE about Yoko, and not about her getting too much attention. Why would we have Olivia and Linda threads on the John board? Come on. Make sense people.

Honestly, the ONLY thing I LIKE about Yoko is that she keeps the memory of John alive, that's ALL :cool1: I'm a good girl now, don't you think so, Fly :eyebrows:

But then, you won't stop me from being convinced of one thing: Yoko would never have been famous in any way, if she hadn't been married to John :devious:

And last, but not least: just compare the pictures of Yoko just before John was killed, with the ones which were taken a few years later. In which ones does Yoko look happier ? C'mon, Fly, just tell me, please ?? :smoking2:

O.k., o.k. don't hit me... I'm already gone... :teeth1:

Snoopy

Maia 66 Feb 24, 2013 08:28 AM

Sorry, you flyest of Fly Girls! But I did celebrate Yoko's birthday in my own way... and I sent her warm wishes and love in a passing cloud. :wink2:

(Yoko's birthday time is also personally special to me because it's my anniversary of being a veggie... 33 crazee years now! I chose the date on purpose, btw....)

As for Snoopy's claim that Yoko is not popular among Beatles fans, I have two responses: 1) Most of the fans that were born 1975 or earlier have grown mature enough to at least appreciate her (if they didn't care for her before) and understand why John loved and needed her and 2) Just because something's not popular doesn't mean it's not awesome. Part of what makes The Beatles so extraordinary is that they were the most popular and they were the most awesome... but that's a very rare phenomenon. Most of the time, the coolest and most awesome people and things are NOT popular. Let's not forget that Van Gogh never sold a painting his entire life!


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.